maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   noticed while highway driving (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132710)

Spalz-_-e36 05-02-2010 06:55 PM

noticed while highway driving
 
i noticed that while driving on the highway i have to pay close attention to my grip of the steering wheel as sometimes even a strong gush of wind can veer me off (not severely but enough to make me grip my wheel a little tighter than i should have to). im not sure if im just being too picky but i was wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar to this.

its a pain in the ass when i have to take a long highway trip and i cant have a relaxing drive doing a reasonable speed. sometimes when the wind is stronger this gets even harder to control. my car tends to do a similar motion ~ ~ ~ while driving. im not sure if those symbols help the explanation lol but basically i feel like im doing tight swerves for about 5 seconds, and it happens periodically.

to make myself clear, its a possibility that im just being picky but ive driven numerous other cars on the highway and my e36 seems to be the toughest to control. im thinking its a problem with my car, hopefully not a problem with my driving :huh?:

T.Dot_E30 05-02-2010 08:59 PM

Was it you that had raceland coilovers installed recently? Did you get an alignment? It sounds like an alignment issues, anything from a bushing to a ball joint, get your suspension checked, if that's okay get an alignment.

doogee 05-03-2010 12:20 AM

If the car feels like it's loose, it could be RTABs as well.

Dysantic 05-03-2010 01:37 AM

Check your front bushings like suggested earlier. My car was much like this and then I found out that my front bushings were toast. I got them changed last time I was at RMP and it handles like a dream now.

nachos23 05-03-2010 10:55 AM

here's one you haven't heard.... check all your calipers for dragging..... Although the above explanations would be the first place to look, but, if they are all ok and you are still experiencing the "floating" feeling, just check and confirm none of your calipers are rubbing.... It could be overheating causing the grabbing. I would still put my $$ on balljoints or FCABs, but if those are ok............

ultimateX5 05-03-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysantic (Post 1416167)
Check your front bushings like suggested earlier. My car was much like this and then I found out that my front bushings were toast. I got them changed last time I was at RMP and it handles like a dream now.


+1 changed mine last week! huge difference*th-up*

Blades 05-03-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spalz-_-e36 (Post 1416062)
i noticed that while driving on the highway i have to pay close attention to my grip of the steering wheel as sometimes even a strong gush of wind can veer me off (not severely but enough to make me grip my wheel a little tighter than i should have to). im not sure if im just being too picky but i was wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar to this.

its a pain in the ass when i have to take a long highway trip and i cant have a relaxing drive doing a reasonable speed. sometimes when the wind is stronger this gets even harder to control. my car tends to do a similar motion ~ ~ ~ while driving. im not sure if those symbols help the explanation lol but basically i feel like im doing tight swerves for about 5 seconds, and it happens periodically.

to make myself clear, its a possibility that im just being picky but ive driven numerous other cars on the highway and my e36 seems to be the toughest to control. im thinking its a problem with my car, hopefully not a problem with my driving :huh?:

I had a similar issue .. I noticed it the most on the gardenier (around kipling) .. use to freak me out .. I thought it was my setup like tires or suspension but it ended up being my alignment

Spalz-_-e36 05-03-2010 06:57 PM

thanks for all the suggestions i will definitely check them all out once i have a day off :)

sparkybp 05-04-2010 08:28 PM

Add me to the list of confirmations. Had same issues but I dont know what fixed it because everything was replaced in the front all at the same time. Definately a loose steering rack or tie rods( go on a gravel road, drive moderatly like 15-20 if your steering wheel jumps all over the place massively its def steering rack or tie rods. you can also make tiny little left and rights on the highway very quickly not enough to move the car but just to see and feel out the how much it takes of turn to actually make the car react you will probably feel couple mm in each direction loose and then a tiny bit more pressure and feel the car actually respond). Also a bad alignment(which comes back to outer tie rod balljoints or front control arm bushings) will create that same shitty feeling on the highway. let us know what you plan to do after you've inspected it... ps take it to a shop very casually so they dont charge you massively and have it inspected on a hoist you can see so much more and feel stuff out than if you got one wheel off the ground or whatnot at home.

Just read my post over. I used "massively" twice... is that even a word? wow...

richie_s999 05-04-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades (Post 1416269)
I had a similar issue .. I noticed it the most on the gardenier (around kipling) .. use to freak me out .. I thought it was my setup like tires or suspension but it ended up being my alignment

You talking about the east bound lanes from Kipling to where the bridge starts. Worst ruts on any highway. There are parts that will toss around any car there. Most people don't notice it cause they drive it in rush hour. But I take it home from work at midnight every weeknight. It's deadly!!!!

Mad Cow 05-04-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999 (Post 1416719)
You talking about the east bound lanes from Kipling to where the bridge starts. Worst ruts on any highway. There are parts that will toss around any car there. Most people don't notice it cause they drive it in rush hour. But I take it home from work at midnight every weeknight. It's deadly!!!!

Oh god I hate that stretch with a passion, I don't even know how many times I got tossed around enough to almost hit the car beside me. Sticky 235 width tires and a bad alignment are a horrible combination.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.