maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   ANYONE: E30 65L gas tank? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132548)

everlast 04-27-2010 09:57 PM

ANYONE: E30 65L gas tank?

I need a gas tank for my E30 in a bad way all of the sudden. Anyone parting a 325i / 325is locally with one?

This sucks.

Ceeker 04-27-2010 10:01 PM

I got one but I'm in T.0. only deal locally. Still waiting to take it out, but it's good.

everlast 04-27-2010 10:19 PM

Damn, yeah would need to be local. Does anyone know if NAPA, etc, sell these? The dealer wouldn't have one in time. :(

Tekals 04-27-2010 11:41 PM

The last one I got was from Capitals and Dominion Radiator in Ottawa for a 318is e30

It was selling for 275$.

Let me know if they still able to get some for 325 and their price, might need one on my new e30!

everlast 04-28-2010 12:02 AM

How did it fit? I'll call them first thing in the morning. My old tank is probably reparable, but a new one would solve a lot of problems wouldn't it. :p

Tekals 04-28-2010 12:34 AM

Yeah and after replacing it, you will be happy to not have to do it again!

Actually, It fit perfectly, its been 2-3 years and i dont remember having any issues with it beside rusted bolts... I remember looking at the hole for the gas pump and thinking it was smaller than the original but I was wrong, everything fit well!

Don't even try to remove it without taking completely off the exhaust and the driveshaft, you'll lose your time! Remove everything! I'd say it was more long than difficult...

msinger 04-28-2010 12:46 AM

you can have the one out of my blue car, you should have just called!

Philboski 04-28-2010 08:33 AM

Check out Mr. Gas Tank, off Hunt Club. They'll pull the tank, coat it in polyurethane, and reinstall. They did the trank on my dad's wagon for $300, and no leaks since

carjoe 04-28-2010 09:00 AM

My buddy with the junkyard used to have an E30. Want me to give him a shout?

everlast 04-28-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msinger (Post 1414843)
you can have the one out of my blue car, you should have just called!

I REALLY appreciate that, but I don't have time to pull one and run the risk of it being rusty. I basically need this perfect for Saturday for a tech inspection.

Tekals' guys at Capital and Dominion rad have one for $360 new, in stock. I'll just buy it and be done with it. I was surprised to see the amount of rust on mine.. the seams are all rusty, some on the top too. :( Boo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekals (Post 1414841)
Don't even try to remove it without taking completely off the exhaust and the driveshaft, you'll lose your time! Remove everything! I'd say it was more long than difficult...

Fortunately my exhaust is built in sections with flange disks for easy of removal, and the driveshaft was just out for a clutch last year so it *should* be pretty easy. I just have to burn off 20L of fuel first. Thank the gods its a sunny.

jeffrie 04-28-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1414891)
I just have to burn off 20L of fuel first. Thank the gods its a sunny.

20l of fuel weighs 12 lbs, the tank may weigh 10 lbs, no need to burn it off if time is an issue it's not heavy at all, may want to pick up all the hardware while your at it as I'm sure it's all rusted to sh*t, all mine was and made the install that much easier.

everlast 04-28-2010 11:54 AM

I was more worried about it coming out of the filler next hole and spilling all over me. I might be able to plug the whole with something I suppose. I have to get all the gas into the new tank somehow..

I foresee a mess in my future.

Ceeker 04-28-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1414930)
I was more worried about it coming out of the filler next hole and spilling all over me. I might be able to plug the whole with something I suppose. I have to get all the gas into the new tank somehow..

I foresee a mess in my future.

Make sure your lines on top aren't toast. if they are I don't believe they come with the new tank but double check with your source. otherwise you'll also need new metal gas lines running from the tank to the sending unit. Since water and salt get trapped up there they sometimes rot out.

Tekals 04-28-2010 12:09 PM

Actually, mine came with the hoses welded on the top of it.

everlast 04-28-2010 12:11 PM

Yeah, I think this one does too. I'll need various hose clamps and I have a new fuel filter to install as well. I'll get some waterweld for any problems with the filler neck, but it looks to be in reasonable shape.