Hello everybody - long post
So I purchased an e38 (1998 740i) a few months ago (february)
The car has a rebuild title but it was priced accordingly.
I know most of you are gonna laugh at this one but here it is... this is my winter/occasional car... I ride a motorcycle most of the year and I don't think that'll change soon, although I must say that I love this car. To get an idea of how much I use this car... 1200km in 3 months or so.
A bit of history from the previous owner. He dropped about 5000 in the car before he sold it. All the service was done at McNally's. I remember cats, brakes all around (rotors and pads), water pump, belts, tires, ball joints, rear bushings (?!?). can't remember all of it but I saw receipts...
I had the transmission oil changed at toronto automatic transmission and I changed the oil in the engine. rotella 0w40 if anybody wants to argue with me about that... :rolleyes:
Fixed the sunroof motor (it wasn't properly mounted), the CD player (fuse) and the DSP. The previous owner had a spare (used) unit and I ended up using my logic board with the power circuit from the spare one.
Once in a while I would hear and feel a pop on the left side under hard braking or acceleration. And I thought it was related to the front end suspension... but it was an engine mount. Secured last week (Autotrend - bolt was missing!!!) I also changed the starter and the battery there.
I took it out last weekend for a longer drive... The car drives really nice. No drivability issues whatsoever. Knock on wood.
Issues. Please feel free to help me with any of these...
1. The low beams are on all the time. even with the knob on the off position. And they're a bit low, so I tried to align them properly but they seem to be at the end of the adjustment range. .
3. A bit of rust on the doors (bottom) and on the trunk.
4. I found a loose connector on the left side of the engine (comes from the left side harness. I looked in the TIS software and the closest match seems to be a temperature sensor. The car is supposed to have 2 - one for the instrument cluster and one for the ECU. However there is only one sensor on my pump. Maybe they used a different pump?
5. Pixel problems I'm around 50% right now. I know i can get it fixed for $300 but I'm looking for an alternative. I have a second dash from the previous owner. DSC does not work with it and the temper dot comes on with it. Is there any way to reprogram the used unit with the info from the original one?
6. Cruise is not working. engages but quits if it has to accelerate. I holds for a bit tho, so I guess the gears are toast.
7. missing ashtray and the flashlight is dead.:D. Also the wipers don't park... any idea how much those relays cost? any aftermarket alternatives?
8. AC is not working. I didn't bother to diagnose this thoroughly, but I did notice that it idles higher when selected.
9. brakes squeal under light braking. this I find a bit odd since they're new all around... maybe they need a bit of breaking in.
10. the voltage seems a bit low (13.6 on the dash) and 14 with a multimeter in the lighter socket.
11. no alarm. arms and flashes but I think the siren is gone.
12. missing caps on the locking knobs inside the car... these drive me nuts!!!
I plan to tackle all of these if I have the time this summer... Im' pretty sure that most of e 38 owners have seen some of these issues on their cars so I would appreciate any thoughts about how to tackle them.
Please share any thoughs...
welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!
e38.org is what your looking for!
Welcome to E38's! :cool:
www.E38.org is a valuable asset, as is the 7 Series section on bimmerforums.com which gets a lot more traffic.
Now let's see what we can do about your issues:
thanks for the replies.
I did look for some of these things on e38.org, and i found many answers...
I need help finding local part sources most of the time... even junkers, although I'd rather not.
lights. yes they do come on all the time. key in - light on. i'll take the knob out someday and see whether it's broken or bridged or something.
cupholders... any other alternatives other than oem? nobody made a better product?
water pump.... i looked on realoem and yes there are two sensors.... on my pump there's only one. hmmm...
the cluster.... i can't get a definitive answer on this one. some say the dealer won't program a used dash. some say there's carsoft 1.3.6 that might do just that. I can't find anybody with it to give me a definitive answer.
wipers. i'm pretty sure it's not the ignition switch. i don't have any abnormalities described as a cause for a faulty switch. there is a tsb though on those relays. (updated parts)
siren... can't find anything on e38.org other than how to replace it...
so that's about it...
Thanks a lot for the input.
Try the Max sponsors-- simplycars and eurostyle for example-- for the parts you need... I don't know why you would shy away from a junker for parts like lock knobs. If you must have new OEM though, MaranelloMike will give you the best prices...
Nothing to add really just pointing out that we have great local resources...
Take the car to Cross Avenue Auto in Oakville that is the only place I take my 740i Sam is the shit and knows more then anyone. He can atleast go over the whole car and answer some of you questions for you. He will take care of you just tell him Lindsay with the Black 740i and the 318is sent you.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.