maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Brake Discs (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132215)

Dysantic 04-18-2010 07:46 PM

Brake Discs

So I've been lookin for some rotors for my 1997 328i, but am having a hard time finding ones that I like. I'm looking to get some performance type ones. I'd prefer cross-drilled, cross-drilled and slotted or dimpled and slotted rotors. In that order. Really, I would settle for any of those options listed as long as they will last and are in silver. I was looking at rotors before and found some nice ones from EBC, but it turns out they come in a bronze type colour which just doesn't work for me.

I have a family member that can get me cheaper parts from manufacturers if they are located in Canada, so I'd prefer a company that either makes them in Canada or has a warehouse here.

I'm not looking to spend boatloads so if they retail at like $100 a rotor thats not for me, reasonable prices. If anyone has some suggestions, pics and links would be appreciated. Part numbers would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Nguyen_E30 04-19-2010 11:28 AM

www.autopartsway.ca

You check them out?

Dysantic 04-19-2010 02:46 PM

Yeah, they have the same EBC dimpled and slotted rotors that I'm not interested in and then EBC only slotted which I'm not looking for. And then they only have powerstop rotors to choose from, which from what I have heard are pretty cheap rotors.

Dr. Flyview 04-20-2010 05:03 PM

I thought cross drilled are horrible, they crack between the holes under heat...

Dysantic 04-20-2010 08:22 PM

From everything I have seen and heard, that is complete myth. Unless you are driving unbeleivably aggressive on the track and just hammering the brakes every second. But from what I have understood, they hold up pretty well when not abused.

mhamouda 04-20-2010 11:15 PM

brakes

i got brembo rotors in the back (drilled) and PBR brakes..
looks, drives *th-up*

pic was too large.. sill edit the size and post it

mhamouda 04-20-2010 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is

thinair 04-21-2010 06:27 PM

I would seriously avoid cross drilled, performance wise they're worse than stock, they chew up brake pads and with enough heat cycles they'll crack.

mhamouda 04-22-2010 12:08 PM

i havent seen an SRT, Viper, new M5, m3 with cracker rotors beforE?
and there all performance cars..

mhamouda 04-22-2010 12:10 PM

Chris installl the dammnnn coiloverrsss and post a picture .. been 2 weeks already!

thinair 04-22-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhamouda (Post 1413140)
i havent seen an SRT, Viper, new M5, m3 with cracker rotors beforE?
and there all performance cars..

How many of those cars have you actually inspected the rotors on?
Also if you don't drive hard they won't ever crack, not all sports car owners drive hard.

Dysantic 04-22-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhamouda (Post 1413142)
Chris installl the dammnnn coiloverrsss and post a picture .. been 2 weeks already!

lol, I know. I've been laxing with the coilover install. Been really busy lately. Hopefully in the next week or two at most. I'd like to find some rotors and get it all put on at once.

ScotcH 04-22-2010 11:45 PM

Cars from the factory that come with drilled rotors are cast that way. Most aftermarket rotor are blanks that have been dilled. This causes stress risers. They WILL crack.

Anyway, get what you want, but understand that it's bling and for looks only ... performance is best with blanks.

Btw, when you say you don't like EBC because they are bronze, do you mean the friction surface or the hub? If the friction surface, that will wear off as soon as you use the brakes ... it's just for anti corrosion.

Dysantic 04-23-2010 01:00 AM

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...2/IMG_4312.jpg

Thats what they look like. So are you saying that this bronze colour will come off over time? I thought thats just what they were made with anc are that colour to the bone so to speak.

I'm really not looking for performance with these things. I don't track the care and never really plan to. I'd also say I'm not a very hard "braker" so I know I won't be hammering down on the brake unless I have to.

sproule905 04-23-2010 03:07 PM

looks like the film from the factory. once you install them after they are cleaned it will wear off.

don't know why all these kids want the 'race" look. are you really driving like a race car driver on the streets?

At least ScotcH gets the point