maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a crutch!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131793)

Philboski 04-08-2010 12:00 PM

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a crutch!!

Long post, but it kind of needs to be.

Have you ever felt really, truly stupid?

I have been plagued by codes and CELs since I bought the car, mostly 1175s and related. The oil, when changed, has smelled like gas to high heaven. I did the intake manifold and all associated gaskets, but still had issues, although fewer in number.

So, I decide to change the last gasket on my engine's top end: the secondary throttle body gasket.

So I buy the part, and go to install it last weekend. It doesn't fit. In fact, there's an O-ring acting as a seal. I can't figure things out, so I decide to check the boot from the MAF to the secondary throttle body and see if it goes there. No dice. But what do I see on the secondary throttle body? A groove for an O-ring, similar to the one between the two throttle bodies. No O-ring, but the groove is there.

So, I check a couple of websites and discover that in fact there is supposed to be a rubber ring there to seal the boot to the secondary throttle body. As well, there is supposed to be a ring to seal the MAF to the boot.

I have had that boot off a few times now. Since I bought the car there has never been a rubber ring in either spot. Never.

All of these issues, all of this time, all of this anger at the car, and it was a couple of rubber rings that should have been there, but weren't.

All I can say to this is :mad: Effing hell!

Mr seville 04-08-2010 12:10 PM

it's not you fault man. previous owner/previous mechanic was a dipshit

everlast 04-08-2010 12:12 PM

Well, yay to you for getting it fixed!!! :)

chromius 04-08-2010 12:18 PM

Wow man. Glad you found it, I can understand why you'd be frustrated. So how does it run now?

328IScreamer 04-08-2010 12:52 PM

Look on the birght side at least now you know what the problem is
no more frustration!

carjoe 04-08-2010 02:02 PM

Kudos to you for finding out the issue. As for feeling stupid, check out my thread about having one of those nights...I tried replacing the wiper insert on a Bosch wiper with an OEM insert.

It happens...that's what I keep telling myself at least.

propr'one 04-08-2010 02:05 PM

cliff notes: You fixed your car and for some reason that makes you angry.

gervs 04-08-2010 02:22 PM

good find. At least you must feel some sense of accomplishment after all, it's at least fixed.

Nick_V 04-08-2010 02:27 PM

This is why I'll be glad to finally buy an unmolested car one day. I too am getting sick of chasing/fixing the issues left behind by hack POs. I know the feeling of throwing money at a problem only to find it's something simple after much frustration. Congrats on the fix - at least you have some relief and can just enjoy the car now.

Blades 04-08-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1408197)
cliff notes: You fixed your car and for some reason that makes you angry.

lol!

Philboski 04-08-2010 02:36 PM

Not fixed yet -- parts are on order, and will be in tomorrow. Problem wil be solved (I hope) Saturday.

Still it will be reassuring to have one less source of unmetered air.

everlast 04-08-2010 03:48 PM

LOL "one less source".. now *that's* confidence!

gervs 04-08-2010 07:08 PM

lol i'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Philboski 04-09-2010 09:51 AM

Uncross them for a little while -- the parts are on backorder. So, I wait a week or so.

gervs 04-09-2010 10:46 AM

ouch. Your avatar is odly perfect for the circumstance