maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Weird tire wear on the wheels... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717)

mr.rhtuner 04-06-2010 07:25 PM

Weird tire wear on the wheels...
 
Hey everybody, we have a 2000 323ci with the optional 17" BMW Wheels.

Now just before winter my girlfriend was driving the car and the tire lost air and wouldn't inflate.
I checked out the tire and found that the tires are wearing down on the inside edges.

The car has the 'factory' bmw sport suspension that was installed by BMW and we didn't do any changes to it. It's time to replace the suspension anyways @ 170k on the car but I don't think this is the cause of the wear.


The wear seems as if the car is really low with too big rims/tires and it's causing the rim/tire to sit on an angle.


Any ideas? I know we had the tires rotated a few months ago so I don't know if the front tires were fine before the rotation and the rear's are causing this or if this is an issue with all four corners of the car.


Are 17" rims too large for this car?

I belive the tire size is 215/45/17


rear tire pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/P1050248.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/P1050247.jpg

front tire pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/P1050249.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/P1050246.jpg

pmills325i 04-06-2010 07:44 PM

too much camber

Michel 04-06-2010 08:15 PM

replace the suspension (shocks, bushings, struts etc.) and then align the car. Wear that bad is usually from a messed up Toe alignment; it makes the wheels 'drag' when driving, prematurely ruining the tread.

Dado 540 04-07-2010 12:19 AM

Wait...you let your girl drive the car?

It wouldnt be a true bimmer if it didnt eat rear tires like that.

aaron320i 04-07-2010 12:20 AM

looks like toe.

hamant 04-07-2010 12:56 PM

could be toe or camber,
or the tires were not balanced properly (which you would be aware of by the vibration)

your car is mis-aligned. I would suggest getting a shop to look at it first before you go replacing parts

mr.rhtuner 04-07-2010 01:21 PM

Does anybody know where I can get new shocks/springs from for a good price? maybe even installed?

I've had problems with Cross Avenue Auto so I won't be going back to them anymore.

We are from london obviously but willing to travel to a good shop/parts

King Luis 04-07-2010 02:17 PM

if it feels like the rear end is loose when accelerating, your rear trailing arm bushing are calling it quits. for your tires, either get an alignment first or replace your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, get those replaced if you've never replaced them then get an alignment.

i doubt it'd be your shocks and struts.

MPackage 04-07-2010 02:27 PM

That is definitely a pigeon toe for your tires…do the alignment and you should be fine I would take it to RMP Motors talk to Rocco he will do it all for you…and even get you the parts..

mr.rhtuner 04-07-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Luis (Post 1407789)
if it feels like the rear end is loose when accelerating, your rear trailing arm bushing are calling it quits. for your tires, either get an alignment first or replace your front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, get those replaced if you've never replaced them then get an alignment.

i doubt it'd be your shocks and struts.


Well I know for fact that the rear shocks need to be replaced due to them slowly leaking, but I don't doubt that some bushings need to be replaced.


We have 'm3' control arms that were installed both in the front by Cross Avenue, so that should be good for bushing wise I'm guessing. Just the rear now to do if anything.


Quote:

Originally Posted by MPackage (Post 1407801)
That is definitely a pigeon toe for your tires…do the alignment and you should be fine I would take it to RMP Motors talk to Rocco he will do it all for you…and even get you the parts..


I'll have to call around the get pricing but thank you.
It's hard trusting shops for us nowaday

Michel 04-07-2010 04:58 PM

^I just ordered shocks/struts for my dads E46 325i from here:

http://www.bilsteincanada.com/

Prices were the best I've found, shipping is cheap and customer service is excellent. The only problem with my order is the 'Touring Class' shocks are back ordered for 4-6 weeks...

Streethispgt 04-09-2010 05:24 PM

Get your RTAB's replaced and an alignment and your back tires will stop getting chewed up like that. Common E46 problem.

mr.rhtuner 04-12-2010 01:40 PM

Update:

Took the car in on friday to get the alignment done and the front was totally off.
They were able to correct 99% of the work and should help with tire wear.


Bushings were fine on the car, suspension will get replaced in a few weeks as the rear shocks are lightly leaking but it's not bad at all.



Now we are going to get new tires this week and the tire size we had on the 17" bmw rims before was 215/45/17

we were thinking of getting a thicker tires, maybe 225?

Would that be a bit better to do? more traction on the ground? If so, what tire thickness are we good to go with before we have issues with rubbing?

parm 04-12-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron320i (Post 1407608)
looks like toe.

Excessive Toe Wear.

Streethispgt 04-25-2010 12:24 AM

Post back to the forum in 2 months time and I guarantee you the tires in the back will wear identical to the pictures you posted.

RTAB bushings may feel or look fine, but at that high mileage they definitely are not. I chewed up a brand new set of summer tires in 2 months with the same thinking.

Good luck!



Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.rhtuner (Post 1409472)
Update:

Took the car in on friday to get the alignment done and the front was totally off.
They were able to correct 99% of the work and should help with tire wear.


Bushings were fine on the car, suspension will get replaced in a few weeks as the rear shocks are lightly leaking but it's not bad at all.



Now we are going to get new tires this week and the tire size we had on the 17" bmw rims before was 215/45/17

we were thinking of getting a thicker tires, maybe 225?

Would that be a bit better to do? more traction on the ground? If so, what tire thickness are we good to go with before we have issues with rubbing?



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.