maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Buy Back / Cost of Maintenance (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131710)

sg07 04-06-2010 05:07 PM

Buy Back / Cost of Maintenance

My lease on my 2008 328i sedan will be up near the end of the year. I have recently started to think about my options for my next ride and would like to seek some opinions.

I have been leasing a few Bimmers now but would like to stay on the more economical side this time around for my next ride. On that note, I am thinking about buying/financing the next vehicle and keep for a while rather than leasing. One of my options is to buy back my current lease, which is at $25K or so. By that time, the car would have about 50K km on it after a 39 month lease term. I think that's an acceptable deal (feel free to comment) but in terms of owning any European cars, I am terrified at the maintenance/repair costs of keeping the car (had bad experience with MB before).

Cany anybody offer any comments regarding reliability and cost of maintenance/ownership as the BMWs get older?

Thanks.

SY2767 04-14-2010 11:25 PM

I am very interested in this as well........*th-up*

Junaid 04-15-2010 01:41 AM

i dont think owning a bmw cost as much as a MB (my dad had one so i can relate to how much it cost) On average my dad used to spend $1500 on his mercedes, something always broke. But on my bmw and my dad's i probably only get oil changes and i just need a temp sensor because my coolant is leaking from there but its only a $31 part.

Junaid 04-15-2010 01:42 AM

EDIT: if you want to be safe, buy a CPO one, they come with 5 yr/160,000km warranty i believe, but the amount of years i could be wrong

mstearnsy 04-15-2010 04:14 PM

BMW maintenance is definitely less than Mercedes (except for M models!). If you keep your own car you can add the 6 year Certified Series warranty onto it. In general though, with the current promotions, people aren't keeping their old cars. You can get the new cars with more equipment for the same lease payment as you are paying now. I have no idea if that will still be the case by the end of the year for the 2011s, but you should consider all the options.

sg07 04-15-2010 10:56 PM

How do I get Certified Protection on the car and what does it cover?

What is the procedure for buying back a leased vehicle anyways? Anybody has any experience?

mstearnsy 04-16-2010 10:15 AM

To get Certified Series coverage you will have to do the Certified Series inspection and fix any items that are not up the the acceptable standard. Then you get the 6 year warranty. You will pay for it but it's money well spent in my opinion.

You can write a cheque for the cost to buy it, you can finance the buy-out, or even re-lease the vehicle.

slemmer 04-20-2010 08:17 AM

Don't be fooled on CPO vehicles - check the service and body repair history. I've seen some where there was upwards of $15,000 body work done due to accidents.