maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Trunk is locked shut! (searched and tried all methods I found, all failed!) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131041)

JdmEuroNorth 03-20-2010 06:57 PM

Trunk is locked shut! (searched and tried all methods I found, all failed!)
 
Alright, so I have a 1984 bmw 318i and for a while now the trunk just won't open. At first the plunger/lock/key hole(I guess) was working, started stripping down the car put a bunch of parts into the trunk.

Now when I turn the key either way it doesn't unlock, I've tried pretty much every method e30tech, google, this forum and many others have said and no luck. Anyone else run into this problem? Anyone have any suggestions?

Nguyen_E30 03-20-2010 07:03 PM

you pushing in the button/key hole thingy ma jig? i had to press it hard for mine to open. it was stubborn on mine.

Ceeker 03-20-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JdmEuroNorth (Post 1401717)
Alright, so I have a 1984 bmw 318i and for a while now the trunk just won't open. At first the plunger/lock/key hole(I guess) was working, started stripping down the car put a bunch of parts into the trunk.

Now when I turn the key either way it doesn't unlock, I've tried pretty much every method e30tech, google, this forum and many others have said and no luck. Anyone else run into this problem? Anyone have any suggestions?

A number of things to consider: 1. the cold. if the lock wasn't lubed over the winter it may have seized internally and your lock cylinder is spinning inside.
Do you have central locking. if I am not mistaken your car doesn't as it is an older version e30? Take the key out spray some lube right down into the key hole and then spray the key too and insert. See if this frees it.

I recently removed a trunk mech from mine and when I did a tab broke free. I suspect this tab was responsible for catching the latch to the lock to open. Perhaps this has happened to yours? If the tab breaks off ( cast metal) then I would suspect your lock works fine but it isn't catching the latch?

worse case scenario? bust the lock. screw driver and hammer.

everlast 03-21-2010 04:12 AM

or go in through the panel behind the back seat. most e30's have the hole for a pass-through as a knockout. knock it out, use a wrench to remove the nuts on the trunk latch hoop. its not very funny though.

Ceeker 03-21-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1401826)
or go in through the panel behind the back seat. most e30's have the hole for a pass-through as a knockout. knock it out, use a wrench to remove the nuts on the trunk latch hoop. its not very funny though.

And just how to you plan to manage that? can you fit through that hole? (grin)
If he has the back panel on he'll need to remove that first. then he'll need a 3-4 foot extension with a 10mm socket to remove the nuts. Unless he's got super stretch arms he won't reach that lock.

JdmEuroNorth 03-21-2010 09:44 AM

no central locking.

Yes, it feels like everything is working fine except for it just isn't catching.

I also thought it might be the cold but when it warmed up to above freezing it still didn't work. I'll try more lube, more pressure, more throwing shit. Thanks guys.

everlast 03-21-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1401834)
And just how to you plan to manage that? can you fit through that hole? (grin)
If he has the back panel on he'll need to remove that first. then he'll need a 3-4 foot extension with a 10mm socket to remove the nuts. Unless he's got super stretch arms he won't reach that lock.

Don't diss what you don't know, man. I've done it.

adam325i 03-21-2010 05:59 PM

lol, i can see this going somewhere. were not gonna hear from JDMeuronorth for a couple days and he will post up that he got stuck in his car took him couple days toget unstuck. reminds me onetime when i got my hand stuck up into a car. not fun at all but crazy things are possible. good luck with this dude.

Ceeker 03-21-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JdmEuroNorth (Post 1401841)
no central locking.

Yes, it feels like everything is working fine except for it just isn't catching.

I also thought it might be the cold but when it warmed up to above freezing it still didn't work. I'll try more lube, more pressure, more throwing shit. Thanks guys.

Take the plugs out for the license plate holders and see if you can see the plunger rods. needle nose might fit enough so you can pull the rod down and trunk should open. Otherwise a tech told me what they use to do is drill a hole near the plug close to where they thought the rod would be and then plug it afterward once the trunk was opened. Again as before you have a degree of options.

e30_kid89 03-21-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1401826)
or go in through the panel behind the back seat. most e30's have the hole for a pass-through as a knockout. knock it out, use a wrench to remove the nuts on the trunk latch hoop. its not very funny though.

LOL I did this last year to get my trunk open since it had a different key for the trunk and I lost it... I couldn't reach with my hand so i had to weld a 10mm wrench on a 1ft pipe and after a lot of swearing, the trunk was open! Afterwards I had a locksmith re-key it to match the rest of the car.

Not fun.

325isdan 03-21-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1401826)
or go in through the panel behind the back seat. most e30's have the hole for a pass-through as a knockout. knock it out, use a wrench to remove the nuts on the trunk latch hoop. its not very funny though.

This is what I did. But I just cut the hole a bit bigger so I could squeeze through.

craz azn 03-22-2010 12:58 AM

I had this happen on my black E30 when I first got it many years ago. I had a lot of fun with a big drill bit :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.