maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   insurance for the track? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130582)

davericher20 03-09-2010 12:24 PM

insurance for the track?

hey Guys, just curious.

What happens if you wreck your car on the track?

I know regular insurance won't cover obviously,

but is there anything out there?

But then I also think... if every idiot can get insurance, then they are less likely to drive properly and care less about wrecking their car...........so maybe it's a good thing if it's not covered?

idk

hockeyfan27 03-09-2010 12:49 PM

I think the policies you can get are more for liability than physical damages. I'm asking around...

one carrier in the states offers a policy who's Race car insurance is in effect at all times except on the track. On-track, or so-called "key-on" insurance is available, but the premium could cost you as much as 10% of your car's value. And that premium covers just one event! (You could collect from a track for damage to your car during a racing accident if the track's negligence somehow contributed to the accident.)

these policies can also cover your tow rig, shop, tools etc..

pawcio 03-09-2010 01:24 PM

i heard that there is a broker who does this sort of thing for trillium members. maybe ask richie_s99 if he knows what i'm taking about because i heard something about this last year so i'm not sure if its still valid or how to get it.

dble Trouble 03-09-2010 08:10 PM

Emmerson Insurance Brokers from Port Perry is a sponsor of the Trillium BMW Club of Canada. If you are insured through him, you ARE covered for any incident on track during a Trillium Driving School ONLY!! I want to make this 100% clear and make sure no one misinterprets the coverage. For exact details please contact Larry Emmerson. One other thing he does is he does cover modified cars, engine swaps, turbo add ons, lowered cars etc. A lot of our members have been moving over to Larry because of this. However you need a relatively clean driving record.

In regards to other insurance policies, most state very clearly that they DO NOT cover any on track excursion, some go so far as to state that they don't cover you on track property whatsoever. Please read the fine print. When I was with Allstate, I had them put an inclusion in my policy to cover me on track, and yes I did pay a small premium for that as long as it was a school, or lapping event. They did not cover if it was a race, autocross or regional.

I hope this helps

John

dadswrld 03-09-2010 08:19 PM

Interesting info, always good to know what's out there.

pawcio 03-10-2010 08:11 AM

i heard that there is a broker who does this sort of thing for trillium members. maybe ask john (dble Trouble)....i heard he knows some things about this too :D ...perhaps even about two paragraphs worth.

E30 Girl 03-10-2010 08:19 AM

You are covered durring driving schools through whatever ins you hold. I know a guy who wrote both his cars off durring a driving school one one year and one the next and his ins company paid for the damage on both.

MarkD 03-10-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 Girl (Post 1397749)
You are covered durring driving schools through whatever ins you hold. I know a guy who wrote both his cars off durring a driving school one one year and one the next and his ins company paid for the damage on both.

Did you ask him how that affected his insurance premiums?

E30 Girl 03-10-2010 10:08 AM

I'm not sure but I would imagine alot. You remember Kevin had the E30 M3 and the Mini.

MarkD 03-10-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 Girl (Post 1397774)
I'm not sure but I would imagine alot. You remember Kevin had the E30 M3 and the Mini.

Yes, I remember. Sure they paid out twice, but I am sure he is still paying now. I bet he doesn't eat corn on the cob anymore! :moon:

951kid 03-10-2010 03:06 PM

not sure if it is offered in Canada, but:

http://wsibinsurance.com/

dble Trouble 03-10-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 Girl (Post 1397749)

Not entirely true, I can mention a few people who have attended driving schools and did not get covered, even after fighting it in court. Some policies state very clearly, that they do not cover any damage incurred on track, and so on............

However, some don't state anything since it is really a low number of people who actually take their car out, and even less that damage, so some insurance companies don't have that exclusion, if that's the case, then you have a case. But it WILL BE AN UPHILL BATTLE to get money out of an insurance company if something happens on track. It's best to consider that you DON'T have coverage unless you have it in writing from you insurance broker/company, and even then, read the fine print.

Cheers!