maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Control Arm Busing Removal (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129906)

Brent 02-17-2010 10:10 PM

Control Arm Busing Removal

Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace my control arm bushing without removing the control arm itself. Prying/Hammering it isn't working. Any ideas? Is there a puller that will work? Thanks for your help!

If I can't find an easier way I am going to use a drill, but if there's an easier way I'd appreciate some help...

BmW1819 02-18-2010 08:48 AM

Heat just heat where the control arm slides onto just get it hot enoght and it will slide right off couple of twists. when u install clean where is slides on to lots of lube and mallet. only thing is u gotta press the bushings in orless u got after marker ones u don't have to

Bullet Ride 02-18-2010 10:12 AM

I'm assuming you've unbolted the lollipop and are trying to pull that off the control arm? Just put a puller on it and pull it off the control arm (using an impact wrench if you have one)

You can buy a whole range of them at princess auto. You probably only need a 2 jaw puller for this (the one you need is probably only $15-$20) but you can look at this as an excuse to buy one of the like 40pc all in one puller kits

Haggis 02-18-2010 11:11 AM

I used a torch and melted the rubber, be careful of the fumes. Then I used a sawzall to cut the metal ring out. Be careful not to cut into the actual lollipop tho.

hockeyfan27 02-18-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1391606)
I'm assuming you've unbolted the lollipop and are trying to pull that off the control arm? Just put a puller on it and pull it off the control arm (using an impact wrench if you have one)

You can buy a whole range of them at princess auto. You probably only need a 2 jaw puller for this (the one you need is probably only $15-$20) but you can look at this as an excuse to buy one of the like 40pc all in one puller kits

currently on sale: http://www.princessauto.com/tools/au...440-puller-set

Michel 02-18-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BmW1819 (Post 1391579)
Heat just heat where the control arm slides onto just get it hot enoght and it will slide right off couple of twists. when u install clean where is slides on to lots of lube and mallet. only thing is u gotta press the bushings in orless u got after marker ones u don't have to

I heard if you use grease to slide the new bushing in you'll get premature wear since it won't grab on to the control arm properly and keep sliding. I read somewhere to use dishwasher soap instead, since it will evaporate shortly after installing.

Bullet Ride 02-18-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 (Post 1391625)

There you go.

I think I might go buy that :)

InfiniteDice 02-18-2010 12:37 PM

just hacksaw, or sawzall the metal part of the bushing, just don't cut into the lollypop part.
Then whack it a few times and it's done.

I think it took me longer to get the new one over the control arm than it did to remove the old one.

Good luck!

Ceeker 02-18-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1391476)
Hi Guys,

I am trying to replace my control arm bushing without removing the control arm itself. Prying/Hammering it isn't working. Any ideas? Is there a puller that will work? Thanks for your help!

If I can't find an easier way I am going to use a drill, but if there's an easier way I'd appreciate some help...

Brent, message Richie999 he's devised a system that works on the car. I can't remember now if it just pulls or installs. give him a pm.
otherwise, you'll most likely need to pull the arms and press them out/in. This is the correct way to do it.

Brent 02-18-2010 04:01 PM

Great feedback, guys. I was already thinking about the pullers at P.A., I was on their website checking them out. I just wasn't sure if they'd work, but now I'll give them a shot!

BmW1819 02-18-2010 04:54 PM

yea not grease as it will swell the rubber to i used tire lube

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel (Post 1391626)
I heard if you use grease to slide the new bushing in you'll get premature wear since it won't grab on to the control arm properly and keep sliding. I read somewhere to use dishwasher soap instead, since it will evaporate shortly after installing.

craz azn 02-18-2010 08:53 PM

+1 on the dishwash soap install method.

e30_kid89 02-19-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggis (Post 1391622)
I used a torch and melted the rubber, be careful of the fumes. Then I used a sawzall to cut the metal ring out. Be careful not to cut into the actual lollipop tho.

+1 Thats how i removed mine....I went with poly bushings so all i needed to install em was a vise.:)

DR.ZED 02-19-2010 03:14 PM

I just did this as well, but a press was used.

Use dish soap to slide the arm into the new bushing on the car.

I did mine with everything off.

everlast 02-19-2010 09:07 PM

I'm just installing THR lollipops. No bushing FTW! :D