maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Brakes (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129199)

Italia311 01-25-2010 09:16 AM

Brakes

I search forum but I cannot find anything about it.

Rear brake pads. Was quoted by BMW 475+ taxes for the rear. He told me its just the pads. Tech never mentioned I needed rotors I am wondering why it is so much?

I am thinking of just ordering the pads myself and having my uncle do the job at his shop. I am looking online for parts and it doesn't come close to that price (Obviously the labour is factored in to that price above)

Having said that, any thoughts? Is there something really special about getting it done at BMW? Some special configuration or is a straight up change like every car? Any recommendations on shops or places to get parts?

Appreciate the help.
Thanks.
Giu.

Ceeker 01-25-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italia311 (Post 1384585)
I search forum but I cannot find anything about it.

Rear brake pads. Was quoted by BMW 475+ taxes for the rear. He told me its just the pads. Tech never mentioned I needed rotors I am wondering why it is so much?

I am thinking of just ordering the pads myself and having my uncle do the job at his shop. I am looking online for parts and it doesn't come close to that price (Obviously the labour is factored in to that price above)

Having said that, any thoughts? Is there something really special about getting it done at BMW? Some special configuration or is a straight up change like every car? Any recommendations on shops or places to get parts?

Appreciate the help.
Thanks.
Giu.

The price sounds a bit steep. the dealership should have package pricing on all models. nothing special except you get a proper brake service done - hopefully not just slapping a set of pads in and the way you go. the pricing sounds more like full rear brakes. Rotors, pads, and sensor. I wouldn't recommend just replacing pads. If the factory bmw rotors are on it and they are still good then its ok. But time again I've seen tech's change both because often customers complain that something is wrong. Tech's don't need or want the hassle so they simply change both. especially if there are aftermarket rotors already on the car.

but you haven't mentioned which model car we are speaking of? this is reflective of the price.

Italia311 01-25-2010 09:43 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I drive a 2006 323i.

I know I will get proper service on the car form them but when I spoke to the tech by phone he told me he wanted to change out the pads they are get worn and its going to cost 475. I went down to pick up the car but he had left so we couldn't speak further.

I don't know what type of service is done but I thought I'd ask here before I called to get clarity
thanks

Ceeker 01-25-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italia311 (Post 1384591)
Thanks for the quick reply.

I drive a 2006 323i.

I know I will get proper service on the car form them but when I spoke to the tech by phone he told me he wanted to change out the pads they are get worn and its going to cost 475. I went down to pick up the car but he had left so we couldn't speak further.

I don't know what type of service is done but I thought I'd ask here before I called to get clarity
thanks

call another bmw dealer and ask for service and ask if they have package pricing for "pads only" on your 06/323 and see what they say. and or with rotors as well. make sure you specify front or rear or both.

lvan 01-25-2010 10:59 PM

I am afraid those days are long gone. I was at Town + country BMW sitting and waiting to get my car done for service. There was a lady next to me sitting as well.... The service advisor came with a paper and pen, telling that it would cost 900+ tax to do rotors and brakes. I heard them speak very clearly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1384588)
The price sounds a bit steep. the dealership should have package pricing on all models. nothing special except you get a proper brake service done - hopefully not just slapping a set of pads in and the way you go. the pricing sounds more like full rear brakes. Rotors, pads, and sensor. I wouldn't recommend just replacing pads. If the factory bmw rotors are on it and they are still good then its ok. But time again I've seen tech's change both because often customers complain that something is wrong. Tech's don't need or want the hassle so they simply change both. especially if there are aftermarket rotors already on the car.

but you haven't mentioned which model car we are speaking of? this is reflective of the price.

Italia311 01-26-2010 09:47 AM

Package pricing now its 475 plus tax. Rotors, pads, sensors etc....

Thanks for the help creeker.

Ivan: BMW told me its usually more but there is a "special" right now. hah.

e30krazy 01-26-2010 10:26 AM

If you have a good tech in hand, Check out www.willz.ca.
Also, www.partsed.com out of USA have a very good price for parts.. You might be able to get ceramic pads + rotors for that price.

Cheers
Jay