maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Obligatory introduction thread. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128660)

nonlocal 01-05-2010 08:46 PM

Obligatory introduction thread.

Hi. I'm Rob. I bought an e30.

I've met some of you already-- I have been on a few max cruises in the last couple years, since e30m42cab can't drive all his cars by himself. That was also me at the last 2009 trillium autocross, locking the brakes of my Mazda MP3 in every corner.

This is my first car with ABS, and obviously its a feature a meathead like myself will find some use for.

I've been shopping e30s/e28s/318ti's for quite a while now and finally found a nice '91 318is in my price range, without rust, well (enthusiast) cared for, and while it is (pretty extensively) modified, they are almost all mods I would want to do myself, so really value added-- for me, anyway.

I won't get into a mod list (yet) since they are almost all modifications done by the previous owner, so I can't really take credit. We have added a z3 shift kit, pulled the lip off for winter, and done some aesthetic stuff already-- chrome grills (maybe just for winter-- I like the blacked out look), took off the ricey blacked out tails for stock ones, different door cards...

And of course, I put some winter tires on it.

Finally, since this is a forum post about my e30, the necessary how-do-I-fix question... My turn signals cancel automatically after turning, as they should, some of the time, but most of the time I have to cancel them myself. Anybody have thoughts on how to correct this?

Some pictures:

The car in the underground more or less as I bought it-- save the winter tires on bottle caps, which I did immediately, since it was already snowing the day I purchased...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2723/...ed3021_o_d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/...beb55e_o_d.jpg

how it sits now, chrome grill, no lip, etc.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/...186e2e_o_d.jpg

and playing in the snow...
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/...b9e707_o_d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/...a0e4aa_o_d.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/...0606dc_o_d.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/...51d657_o_d.jpg

Looking forward to participating in the community!

Dissembler 01-05-2010 09:00 PM

looks good! and welcome to the wonderful world of e30s!

I'd guess a turn signal stalk or a broken turn signal relay. Both Fixes are easy and cheap.

What road is that you were driving? Looks like a whole lotta fun

richie_s999 01-05-2010 09:00 PM

Congrates on finding the car. Scott told me about it and it should do well at the autocrosses next summer, and the snowcross this winter!!

How's the ride with full poly bushings??

SamE30e 01-05-2010 09:52 PM

Scott told me about it Rob, I've yet to see it, soon soon.

E30M42cab 01-06-2010 12:48 PM

It's about time... you only bought the car a month ago. The problem with your turn stalk is that you need to extend your middle finger on your left hand as you unwind the wheel. Fixed. I was on some roads like that this weekend... awesome times!

davericher20 01-06-2010 03:13 PM

nice! Welcome! not too many of those around I'm assuming?

dble Trouble 01-06-2010 03:22 PM

Hey Rob, welcome. I'm so glad you got rid of that mazda and bought an e30. It was painful watching you in the mazda at that last autocross. You'll love this car soooooooooooooooo much more! Hopefully I'lll see you at the trillium winter autocross!

cheers

craz azn 01-06-2010 03:52 PM

mmmm.. so nice and clean!

everlast 01-06-2010 10:30 PM

Looks great. Get it undercoated if you want it to stay rust free.

For the signal thing: remove the wheel and you'll find a piece about 2cm wide that sticks out of the ring at the back of the wheel. This is the trigger to turn of the signals. Either the trigger or the part it hits is worn.

On another e30 I had, I wrapped the trigger in two revs of electrical tape and it worked perfectly. Too much though and it will really pound the release mechanism.

What color is that.. Lachsilber?

nonlocal 01-08-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembler
looks good! and welcome to the wonderful world of e30s!

I'd guess a turn signal stalk or a broken turn signal relay. Both Fixes are easy and cheap.

What road is that you were driving? Looks like a whole lotta fun

Thanks! The roads are along the Niagara Escarpment, north of 89... most fun I've found in Southern Ontario, although there are many similar. I like elevation changes with my twisties. PM if you want specifics...

(Can we get some mountains in this ****ing province? Is somebody working on this?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie_s999
Congrates on finding the car. Scott told me about it and it should do well at the autocrosses next summer, and the snowcross this winter!!

How's the ride with full poly bushings??

Thanks, Richie. I understand you have a 427 rear diff too? I'd like to try your ssk sometime although I have already gone with a z3 kit ... quick and easy wins again...

I think the driver needs some work, but the car, yes, is ready for autocross glory.

The poly bushings are great, the only noises in the car come from the giant rear sway bar which is bolted to the trunk (!) and the diff makes some grunts, whirrs and whines now and then off throttle... The bushings are quiet. The ride is very, very firm-- about as firm as I'd want to go on a car that spends a lot of time (sadly) tooling around rotten Toronto streets-- but I really don't know how much of that can be attributed to the bushings, what with the "race" suspension and sway bars, etc. It is noticeably firmer than Scott's cars, but not uncomfortable (to me) and really quite reassuringly settled-- except on aforementioned rotten Toronto streets with relentless broken pavement where the bumpiness can get tiresome. Ouch my teeth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by same30e
Scott told me about it Rob, I've yet to see it, soon soon.

Soon indeed. Maybe you can help me figure out why the stereo pops everytime I change channels or sources... like the amp is cutting out everytime the signal drops? Can't be good for the speakers. Which are shite anyway. But I digress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30m42cab
It's about time... you only bought the car a month ago. The problem with your turn stalk is that you need to extend your middle finger on your left hand as you unwind the wheel. Fixed. I was on some roads like that this weekend... awesome times!

I've been too busy driving to post. And bend over, I'll show you a really neat trick I can do with my extended left middle finger...

We'll have to get out for a drive in the snow; missed you over the break. Mansfield is open to the public weekdays now... no nightskiing though (I don't think) so it really needs a day off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davericher20
nice! Welcome! not too many of those around I'm assuming?

Uh... no! Super rare! Trade you for your touring? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble
Hey Rob, welcome. I'm so glad you got rid of that mazda and bought an e30. It was painful watching you in the mazda at that last autocross. You'll love this car soooooooooooooooo much more! Hopefully I'lll see you at the trillium winter autocross!

I look forward to showing you just how cringe-worthy an e30 can be at the wintercross and beyond :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz_azn
mmmm.. so nice and clean!

My sarcasm detector is getting mixed readings on this. Regardless, I assure you it is now the dirtiest BMW on the planet... gotta tak'er for a rinse tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast
Looks great. Get it undercoated if you want it to stay rust free.

For the signal thing: remove the wheel and you'll find a piece about 2cm wide that sticks out of the ring at the back of the wheel. This is the trigger to turn of the signals. Either the trigger or the part it hits is worn.

On another e30 I had, I wrapped the trigger in two revs of electrical tape and it worked perfectly. Too much though and it will really pound the release mechanism.

What color is that.. Lachsilber?

Agh, rust. Keeps me awake at night. Its parked in a heated garage and I feel like I can hear the corrosion as I walk away from the freshly-dripping car on cold snowy days. I hate what an oilspray does to the car too, though, goo seeping out from every crack... I guess I should bite the bullet and get the bottom sprayed at least?

Stupid heated garage.

Thanks for the signal tip-- I'll check it out the next time I remember to park very, very straight. Heh.

As for the colour, I believe it is lachsilber, but the engine bay sticker is gone. The PO had it repainted 6+ years ago, he said he got it done in the OEM colour, but who knows.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm gonna go lurk for another 6 months now.

everlast 01-08-2010 04:32 AM

Goo seeping is nothing compared to rust seeping. You need it most in the areas you can't see, like inside the rockers and in crevices under the hood. Just get the whole thing done. For $110 at Krown you can't go wrong.

Edit: I like the tow hook.

nonlocal 01-08-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast
Goo seeping is nothing compared to rust seeping.

Sigh. So true.

Quote:

Edit: I like the tow hook.
Fuh raze, right? Heh. I figured, why tempt fate: driving rwd for the first time in years, in winter, on twisty backroads... Better just be prepared for a trip into the ditch ass-end first.

So far, fate hasn't ****ed with me, either.

everlast 01-08-2010 05:47 PM

I painted my YELLOW. Fuh raze with a capital fuh.

:D

razzor 01-08-2010 09:10 PM

If you love your e30 and want to drive in the winter get it oiled!!!!
I've seen the proof and it is worth the mess.

craz azn 01-08-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1379892)
My sarcasm detector is getting mixed readings on this. Regardless, I assure you it is now the dirtiest BMW on the planet... gotta tak'er for a rinse tomorrow.

Nah bro, its clean! Look, no rust or anything on the valance, fenders, etc... Oh and BTW I challenge you to the dirtiest BMW on the planet... my car is a mess too :( Damn salt ughh.