maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   PS not working (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128585)

propr'one 01-03-2010 05:18 AM

PS not working

I dont know why, haven't had time to look. There's fluid in the reservoir.

I just want to make sure i'm not running the rack dry. Am i good?

P.S. as a small reward for those who clicked on the thread, a pic:

If you dont know how fun this is, its because you've never owned a 325iX.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9103/29797962.jpg

Didn't want to start this morning, but i'm thrilled it did. You can't see the corner well in the pic, but i started taking it at 90 consistantly by the end of the morning, If you're ever near apsley in the winter, take the 504 to jack lake road. A little more traffic than i'd like, but its fun as hell. No shoulder. Not banked. in many spots, no rails, and 5-10 foor drops on either side. Not a bad way to wear off a NYE hangover.

e30_kid89 01-03-2010 10:22 AM

more fun in rwd :P

as for the PS, maybe the fluid is old/crappy?

Starsky 01-03-2010 11:12 AM

I buried mine in the driveway last week, heavy snow up to the doors... A little digging and out she came :D

As for your PS, if the fluid is full and the belt is there then it is most likely the pump. Time to stop playing in the snow and pop the hood :moon:

spoony_prelude 01-03-2010 12:04 PM

Seeing pics like those make me miss my audi!

Jay

propr'one 01-03-2010 06:09 PM

Devon, there is absolutely no way any RWD car without studded tires could take that corner at over 45. (we had 6 cars up there, including some with winters, RWD and LSD)

I'll look at the PS at some point. But my main question is, if there's fluid in the res, is it in the rack? I just dont wanna blow an iX rack, they're expensive.

supernaught 01-03-2010 08:10 PM

if you're up this way again, stop by the house and I'll take a look at it. I've got a spare pump or two in the garage if yours is screwed.
But.. Normally if there is fluid in the res that means there is fluid in the rack.
Your belt still good?
Your flex joint still rotating nicely(with front end lifted there will still be resistance when you turn the wheel)?
Any fluid spots under the car?
Ever changed the filter?

propr'one 01-03-2010 10:17 PM

Your belt still good? Haven't looked, i'll check. It went out intermittantly (could cut in/out and then died, so i assume its not the belt as if it snapped it would've died right away)
Your flex joint still rotating nicely(with front end lifted there will still be resistance when you turn the wheel)? I'll try this tomorrow.
Any fluid spots under the car? Yes, PS has always had slow leak. No major leaks though.
Ever changed the filter? No. its in the res?

slemmer 01-03-2010 11:10 PM

Or have the PS pump flushed. May have grit in the lines and blocking the smaller holes.

richie_s999 01-04-2010 10:11 AM

be carefull when you check the belt, I had a v-belt that looked fine , but after I took it off the "v" whas split for 5 inches or so and the thick top threads were still good. The reason it was not scene till it was removed was it hapened to look good wrapped on a pulley!!!! (should have taken a pick of it )

also check that the propper fluid is in the ps. flush may be a good idea, easy to do if you have a turkey baster!!!!

propr'one 01-04-2010 01:27 PM

^^my mom would KILL me if i put ATF in a turkey baster! :P (but i have a hand pump i use for ATF)

I'm in class all day today but i'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the advice fellas.

propr'one 01-05-2010 03:19 PM

Belts are fine. Fluid doesn't seem particularly dirty in the ATF reservoir, but i'll flush it anyway.

E30M42cab 01-05-2010 05:24 PM

There is a hex drain screw on the bottom of the pump for changing fluid. Quicker that turkey baster

propr'one 01-05-2010 05:47 PM

^^thanks. I'll probably just take it to RMP, i got no garage and its freezing outside.