maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   1990 BMW 535I radio code (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127620)

..BUDWAL.. 11-26-2009 07:13 PM

1990 BMW 535I radio code

hi, i have a 1990 bmw 535i recently bought the code light is on on the radio, so the guy i bought it from already tried it 3 times so its locked, any ways so i went ot bmw and gave them my serial number of my radio, and the gave me my code 35216 so they said to keep the car in ignition for mroe that 1hr and 1/2 and it will reset whcih i did and still did not work, also there is a code button on where u can see your range and everything with a led light beside it i was wondering if that had anything to do with it, please get back to me if you are able to help me because i really do nto want to put a aftermarket one in thatn k YOU

tg07lq 11-26-2009 08:02 PM

what position did you leave the key in? 0 1 or 2

..BUDWAL.. 11-26-2009 08:05 PM

i left it in 2 position,

tg07lq 11-26-2009 08:06 PM

i want to say its position 1. did the dealer specify? i thoght i remembered reading a similar issue on bimmerforums and it was a matter of key placement

..BUDWAL.. 11-26-2009 08:30 PM

issue

umm yes the dealer said postion 2, so basically in ignition when the lights are all on

ACS_DAN 11-26-2009 08:31 PM

If all else fails, you could disconnect the battery for an hour or two. That will completely reset the system and then you'd be able to input the code without a problem.

..BUDWAL.. 11-26-2009 08:34 PM

yeah i will try that, hope it works another question, how do i pull the back seats out inorder to get oto the battery ?

ACS_DAN 11-26-2009 08:35 PM

For the seat bottom, just grip firmly on the seat portion and lift up. That will dislodge the clips and it should lift.

..BUDWAL.. 11-30-2009 08:20 PM

Hi,

so it didnt work lol, funny story soo i went to work and i disconnected it and locked all the doors, and then found out everythings auto matic so i couldnt not open the doors with my keys so i had to call a tow truck but ne ways i tryed the code it still didnt work i have just found out on that range and consupmtion adaptor the code button when u turn the car to the first notch u can press that code button and enter a 4 digit code with the buttons 1000 100 10 1< but the code i got from bmw dealership for my radio part was 35216 which i also tryed and did not work again, i am very confused in, if the code is wrong or where to enter it or if i have to press something or do something special before entering this code, because the way i got the code was taking ther radios serial number to the dealership

ACS_DAN 11-30-2009 09:38 PM

Resetting radio after power is removed or display shows "CODE"
• If the correct code is not entered in the three successive tries, the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been ON for one hour. IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 12345 and you mistakenly enter 125 instead of 123, continue the code number sequence of 45 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "CODE" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 12345 and operation of the radio will continue. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately. Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
• Another solution from Steven V. The local BMW dealer told me that if I turn the ignition key to the number two position and leave all the dash lights on then disconnect the battery for fifteen minutes to a half hour. The system will re-program itself when the battery is connected. It does not say that in the manual or CD rom but it apparently worked fine. Of course the radio had to be recoded again.

Reference:
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Other/FAQ.htm