maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Sunroof problem (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127280)

synergy141 11-16-2009 02:21 PM

Sunroof problem

Hi, I have a problem with my sunroof. when my sunroof opens about an inch off the roof my headliner that is sopposed to slide into the roof gets jammed and you cannot move it manually. Also when I try to fully open the sunroof it will not go inside the ceiling. all it does it drop down and not move. Below is a link of a video I made to show you guys the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS0CrmFoL6Y

sebaqe 01-19-2010 04:03 PM

Hey. I have the same problem. Well mine does not move AT ALL actually, but the outside part is stuck in the position yours get stuck, like just beginning to pull back. I'm afraid to even go get a carwash :P. I just bought this car 2 days ago and put it in the garage so I don't know if rain gets in or not... but not curious either.

Let me know if you find a solution, i'll let you know if i figure something out!

synergy141 01-19-2010 04:33 PM

when trying to slide the sunroof all the way back into the roof at first the back end drops (as it is sopposed to) then I have to manually crank it with the hex key about an inch back , then it will slide inside the roof under its own power. Then when I close it, it works perfectly until about an inch before the front then I manually crank it past that "Sticking" point then it goes up itself. I dont know what parts I need to fix this?

sebaqe 01-19-2010 05:10 PM

can you tell me where this manual crank thing that you're talking about is located? I'd like to try on mine. much appreciated.

Ceeker 01-19-2010 05:28 PM

from the sounds of it; I would first try and see if anything is stuck in the track.2nd, the crank should be in the tool box in the trunk. You have to move a small inspection cover off to see the opening for the crank tool to fit. If nothing is stuck in the track then you may need to adjust the sunroof; if this doesn't resolve the problem-try lubricating the track and mechanism. Remove the liner to access the roof. If this still isn't working you may have a tired motor or you may need an entire sunroof cassette all together.

synergy141 01-19-2010 06:05 PM

mine takes alot of force to crank the first inch then it gets easy. The hex key is twisted now.

Helka 01-19-2010 06:17 PM

I think your sunroof button is reversed and your sunroof is broken. On my e36 when i press forward on the button it props it open like what it did for yours when you wanted to open the sunroof up. That is an actual sunroof position (tilt). But if your sunroof isn't retracting back it could be a misalignment of the gearbox and the line. There is an e36 DIY for a sunroof repair. I had to replace my lifters on my sunroof.

sebaqe 01-20-2010 01:27 AM

where could we find this DIY?

aaron320i 02-01-2010 01:01 AM

The e36 sunroof is the worst designed sunroof around. If you take a good look at the components and the way the roof slides and lifts, there is huge room for error. Everything from parts rubbing to hard or cheap plastic as one of the key component.
Overall. My sunroof is now fkd and I found it not worth it to fix.
As mentioned by other members, your switch is in back wards, i studied your video.
But as for the sunroof now working, no idea.

Eurostyle 02-01-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron320i (Post 1386674)
The e36 sunroof is the worst designed sunroof around. If you take a good look at the components and the way the roof slides and lifts, there is huge room for error. Everything from parts rubbing to hard or cheap plastic as one of the key component.
Overall. My sunroof is now fkd and I found it not worth it to fix.
As mentioned by other members, your switch is in back wards, i studied your video.
But as for the sunroof now working, no idea.

The E46 is WAY worst...At least you can get cheap E36 units now...Should be able to get full assembly for under $100!

Daonhathai 02-21-2010 09:03 PM

I just ran into an issue now, the interior part of the sunroof only slides back halfway and all the sunroof panel does is tilt up... I don't really care for having a working sunroof... What bothers me now is trying to retract it back and only 1 side tilts back down to normal while the other side stays up so it looks stupid and also sounds annoying at 70kph+... Any ideas as to how to get both sides back down evenly. I'm never touching the sunroof again.

Nguyen_E30 02-21-2010 09:15 PM

The sunroof can either be a vent (if you press the forward button), this leaves the inside half way back and the sunroof tilted up or it can be opened all the way (when you press it back), to slide the whole thing back.

Daonhathai 02-21-2010 09:31 PM

it's "vent" then. But now trying to close it... only the passenger side goes down... So it looks awkward and you can hear the wind while driving... in turn driving my up the wall

Daonhathai 02-22-2010 08:51 PM

So I did a bit of reading and came across something along the lines of manually retracting it back into the roof using an allen key. I took that cover off to expose the motor and whatnot and all I see are Torque head screws. Can anyone pinpoint where it is?