maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   1992 e34 535i auxiliary water pump (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126756)

juzer 10-30-2009 04:26 PM

1992 e34 535i auxiliary water pump

Auxiliary water pump, the one located under heater control valve just broke on my e34 535i, i take it out and plug the hose directly in to heater valve.

Pump was already non functional and power disconnected before.

Drove the car to home, some 20km, heating and temperature was normal, is it good idea to live it without this pump?

Also what are the symptoms if heater valve is non functional.

Radiator was replaced yesterday since the old one started leaking, can this non functional pump be reason for putting too much pressure to the rad too? im afraid of damaging the new rad.

Any help appreciated.

ACS_DAN 10-30-2009 05:44 PM

Most cars were built without an AUX waterpump, why bmw decided to put one in is beyond me.

Heater valve not working. Heater valve can be stuck in the open position or closed position. Open being it will not close thus getting a continues flow of hot coolant/water into the heater core giving you heat at all times. Or it can be stuck closed not letting any hot coolant/water into the heater core thus giving you no heat in the Cabin.

Usually if you knock it a couple of times with your hand or a blunt object it'll start to work.

You'll be o.k with that bypassed for now.

juzer 10-31-2009 05:23 AM

i was thinking that aux pump maybe responsible for poor coolant flow or higher preasure in the system since im having cooling system problems on monthly bases.
first radiator started leakin, once i fix it hose broke off the neck of the heater valve, than radiator hose neck broke and yesterday after brand new rad installation aux pump hose neck broke off...
thanks for reply

Mich_525 11-25-2009 11:59 PM

The reason why that aux pump is there , is when the weather hits -10C, when you stop at a traffic light (at low rpm) the coolant flow is weak and no hot anti-freeze gets to your heater core , then your fan blows cold air inside the cabin. I were you I would rather fix it before the real winter starts

Eurostyle 11-26-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich_525 (Post 1369362)
The reason why that aux pump is there , is when the weather hits -10C, when you stop at a traffic light (at low rpm) the coolant flow is weak and no hot anti-freeze gets to your heater core , then your fan blows cold air inside the cabin. I were you I would rather fix it before the real winter starts

Its good in theory, but after owning several car without aux. water pumps, i have never noticed cold air at idle...I think its just as good as the water cooled alternator idea! :D:D:D

juzer 11-26-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich_525 (Post 1369362)

There was few cold mornings and car warmed up just fine, it may be few extra secconds of cold air but i dont mind.
Im just concerned if removed aux pump can trigger some other defects.

Mich_525 11-26-2009 12:49 PM

no it will not trigger any other problems its just there to pump the coolant to keep you warmer.