maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classics (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2002 Restoration help (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126356)

///Maluco 10-20-2009 03:51 PM

2002 Restoration help

A friend has decided that he wants to get a '76 2002 restored.

I did explain the potential cost of simply dropping the car off to someone and picking it up all new, but he doesn't seem to mind to some extent I suppose.
And yes, I did also explain that he could pick one up a 2002 already restored for a reasonable amount of money. The only issue is that the '02 was purchased new from her parents and her Dad passed on, so they would like to keep the car and restore it due to its sentimental value....preferably by their wedding (July 2010).
I haven't seen the car so I can't comment on how much rust may be on the body, but it hasn't moved since the early '80's. That's a good indication that it will need a fair amount of new parts just to get it running properly let alone any rust from sitting in the garage all those years. I know of a technician that can take care of all the mechanicals/tuning but he still needs someone to handle the at least body end of the project.

Anyone recommend a shop/person willing to take on a project like this with the right knowledge as well?

Thanks.

nickdaytona 10-20-2009 08:31 PM

he could buy my '76 and just put his VIN on and save at least $4 or $5K ;-)

Gonna be expensive but any '02 saved is worth it.

73 Tii 10-21-2009 01:27 AM

You need to get a look at the body first to see how bad it is. They are unibody cars and if stored badly, there may be too little left to save the body...ie you would end up replacing everything with new or donor body parts...and if that's the case you are better off swapping the VIN onto a donor. I tore apart one with JDM1602 a few months ago that had been sitting for 15 years and the body was falling apart in our hands.

PM me once you see it, glad to offer some suggestions once you know what you're dealing with.

Eurostyle 10-21-2009 01:55 AM

If it was sitting inside, it may not be that bad...since most of the rust comes from road salt. If it was away from the elements, its almost like a California car! Maybe even better, because none of the sun damage on paint/interior...

///Maluco 10-21-2009 10:23 AM

Thanks guys.
Here's some more info I found out.
The car was stored inside a garage since it was purchased. It hasn't moved since the early '80's from the same garage, but he did mention that he sees some rust on the body.
The interior he says is mint. The dash, seats, wood trim...all mint. The horsehair is the only interior issue he can see so the seats will need to get re-stuffed.

jm1602 10-22-2009 01:01 AM

Well......

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///Maluco (Post 1357924)
Thanks guys.
Here's some more info I found out.
The car was stored inside a garage since it was purchased. It hasn't moved since the early '80's from the same garage, but he did mention that he sees some rust on the body.
The interior he says is mint. The dash, seats, wood trim...all mint. The horsehair is the only interior issue he can see so the seats will need to get re-stuffed.

Hasn't moved in 20+ years....everything will need to be looked at. Brakes, fuel delivery, cooling, motor probably seized, blah blah blah. Possibility mice have made it their home, this is really a bad thing. No matter where it was stored it will have rust. Don't kid yourself, the only guy with a rust free '02 in Ontario is the guy trying to sell it to you. (great quote, not mine). Good luck with it, I hope it's in good shape. If you want an extra set of eyes to look at it for judgement call, PM me and I'll help you out.

///Maluco 10-22-2009 01:49 PM

^^^yes, scarey isn't it. I already informed him that all the rubbers will need to be replaces, all lines looked at for rust, etc...

I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for the support.

lvan 10-31-2009 10:13 AM

I have seen many white elephants, but 20 years not driven wow. That's like someone gave up on it after being 4+5 years old. Very strange , because it was a big deal in that time to own a BMW. It's not like now where everyone can get a new 323i and so on.

pierre02ti 11-13-2009 11:26 PM

My 2002 ti was sitting in a backyard garage for 20 years when I got it. Yes the engine and brakes needed rebuild and the car had rust in doors and fenders but for few $1,000 it was back on the road and the resto continue after. Even if the car was used few winters, the rust did not progress much during the storage.

Should be inspected further. It could be a nice not too bad project!

Pierre