maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels&Tires (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   winter tire decision (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126244)

koncise 10-17-2009 01:09 PM

winter tire decision
 
Which of these should I go with? All prices include tax and M/B/I, expect the Nexen's, since that would be a private sale.


Pirelli W210 SnowSport $575

Hankook W409 $545

Nankang SV-1 $480

BARELY USED Nexen Eurowin 550 $300


Opinions? Or suggestions of something else in the same ballpark?

Mystikal 10-17-2009 02:10 PM

They're all out of date now. The W409 is the newest, and it still isn't that good.

Look into the Sempert Speed/Sport Grips, Falken Eurowinter, and even the newer Nexen (Walmart sells it). Those are all good for cheap.

koncise 10-17-2009 03:01 PM

I respect your knowledge of tires, but how can a winter tire be out of date? has snow changed?

oh, and where can i find the sempert's at a good price?

Mystikal 10-18-2009 10:33 AM

You wouldn't believe how fast the technology moves. In the recent Consumer Reports one tire that was rated 14th out of 17 was rated #1 just a few years ago. So while it'll probably be a good tire in your mind, you could get so much more for the same money with a newer design.

Semperits are at Simply Tire and Tires23. The Falken is pretty much everywhere, I'm installing a set at Wheels Direct this week.

pawcio 10-18-2009 11:16 AM

^ i agree that technology is moving really quickly. at the same time its very likely that since engineering and designs are so advanced, the differences between 1st and 14th shouldn't be huge. otherwise you'd conclude that a few years ago all winter tires were crap. but obviously you'd want to buy the 'best' tire for the best price.

rendered 10-19-2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koncise (Post 1356468)
Which of these should I go with? All prices include tax and M/B/I, expect the Nexen's, since that would be a private sale.


Pirelli W210 SnowSport $575

Hankook W409 $545

Nankang SV-1 $480

BARELY USED Nexen Eurowin 550 $300


Opinions? Or suggestions of something else in the same ballpark?

Can't go wrong with Hankook Icebear W300's if you can find them! I've always had goodluck with those! Not quite as nice as my previous Pirelli W240Snowsports. I wasn't impressed with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2's I had a 4 years back.


I hear great things of the Falken Eurowinters! Mystical is right! I might give those a try this year.

Hurricane240 10-20-2009 04:06 PM

Blizzak or Xice2... nothing else touches them for the money.

I prefer the Blizzak.

I have the Hankook W409 on my 3 right now.. doesn't even compare to the blizzak on any terms.

Fel 10-20-2009 07:28 PM

Any opinions on this set of tires..?


225-65-17

GoodYear Integrity - - $550.00
Hankook RH07 - - $660.00
Cooper CS4 Tour - - $680.00
GoodYear Fortera TripleTread - - $780.00
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV - - $830.00


For an SUV.

Sickbimmer 10-21-2009 05:55 AM

Anyone find a set for my audi. 235-40-18 or maybe 215-45-18? Dont want to send much. Don't care for performance.

Mystikal 10-21-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawcio (Post 1356660)
^ i agree that technology is moving really quickly. at the same time its very likely that since engineering and designs are so advanced, the differences between 1st and 14th shouldn't be huge. otherwise you'd conclude that a few years ago all winter tires were crap. but obviously you'd want to buy the 'best' tire for the best price.

The differences are massive man. Everything is relative, a winter tire from a few years ago IS crap now. The advances in summer and all-season technology isn't this ridiculous, but it definitely is with winter tires.

Mystikal 10-21-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendered (Post 1356893)
Can't go wrong with Hankook Icebear W300's if you can find them! I've always had goodluck with those! Not quite as nice as my previous Pirelli W240Snowsports. I wasn't impressed with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2's I had a 4 years back.


I hear great things of the Falken Eurowinters! Mystical is right! I might give those a try this year.

W300s came in dead last, by a huge margin. It received a "poor" rating for snow performance. The next worst tire was 2 ratings better, at "good".

I had the Eurowinters mounted on the rims on Monday, hopefully tossing them on the E46 this week.

Mystikal 10-21-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane240 (Post 1357702)
Blizzak or Xice2... nothing else touches them for the money.

I prefer the Blizzak.

I have the Hankook W409 on my 3 right now.. doesn't even compare to the blizzak on any terms.

It's hard to use the term "for the money", because they're the most expensive ones out there. Nothing else touches them when money is no concern.

The Xi2 is rated much better than the WS60. W409s are pushed hard by local retailers, but they don't do very well in testing.

pawcio 10-21-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal (Post 1357936)
The differences are massive man. Everything is relative, a winter tire from a few years ago IS crap now. The advances in summer and all-season technology isn't this ridiculous, but it definitely is with winter tires.

all i'm saying is a few years ago, someone would defend the top rated tire as being the best, having good traction in snow, ice, rain etc. the same thing now..obviously the 'best' tire is the 'best'

but you can't say that a winter tire from a few years ago that was #1 is no longer good at what it was good at. if it had good traction before, it has good traction now. obviously criteria changes or gets more strict but still.

Fel 10-21-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawcio (Post 1357993)
all i'm saying is a few years ago, someone would defend the top rated tire as being the best, having good traction in snow, ice, rain etc. the same thing now..obviously the 'best' tire is the 'best'

but you can't say that a winter tire from a few years ago that was #1 is no longer good at what it was good at. if it had good traction before, it has good traction now. obviously criteria changes or gets more strict but still.

I think that's the point though...

The "bad" tire didn't get any worse a few years later.... it was always that bad. We didn't realize how bad it was a few years ago because we didn't have the higher quality tires we have now. Now that there is a larger pool of tires available, it's comparatively worse than the new ones.

The tire may never have been good a few years.... it was just the best available. There's a big difference there.

Fel 10-21-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel (Post 1357765)
Any opinions on this set of tires..?


225-65-17

GoodYear Integrity - - $550.00
Hankook RH07 - - $660.00
Cooper CS4 Tour - - $680.00
GoodYear Fortera TripleTread - - $780.00
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV - - $830.00


For an SUV.

No input? :(


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.