maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Cost to replace lower control arm, bushings? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126165)

TyantA 10-15-2009 01:15 PM

Cost to replace lower control arm, bushings?

I'm told my car needs new lower control arm/ball joint and have received advice that if it is being changed, I should also change both bushings.

There's a definitive wobble in the left front wheel when I hit bumps so I do not doubt the diagnosis, especially after the experience on my old car where I almost lost the front wheel on the highway...

So I'm looking to get both replaced and as I mentioned, the bushings were recommended. I've seen posts in here saying the bushing can cost like $80 or something.

Can someone give me a feel for how much I should be expecting to pay to get these parts replaced?

Thanks.

edp82 10-15-2009 03:35 PM

4-5hundred parts and labor for both sides

Singe 10-15-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edp82 (Post 1355773)
4-5hundred parts and labor for both sides

Thats about right, i got mine polyurethane bushings from ebay for $90 shipped

TyantA 10-15-2009 05:04 PM

That gives me an idea, thanks. Just looking to do control arms on the left side. Bushings, I'm told are best if both are done.

lvan 10-15-2009 05:15 PM

^ Do both becuase the other may go soon. You will just waste your time to come in again. IMO.

sparkybp 10-19-2009 04:23 PM

I have a spare set of m3 lower control arm bushings for sale, they are much stronger than the non-m e36 bushings and improve front end stiffness a bit as well last a hell of a lot longer. Also your whole control arm may not need to be changed, if its a non-m control arm you may have the option of changing the ball joints, depending on which ones are giving out. I also have a set of lower control arms non-m that i can sell to you for dirt cheap, you'd just have to replace the ball joints attaching to the spindle as i hacked up the thread and grease boot when i was taking them off my car. The ball joint in the middle that hooks up to the subframe is fine on both. It might also be worth to mention that the control arm bushings are already pressed into these control arms and ready to go. Save a bit of labour plus a nice upgrade on the bushings, and save some big bucks. PM me if you are interested!

edp82 10-19-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkybp (Post 1357182)
I have a spare set of m3 lower control arm bushings for sale, they are much stronger than the non-m e36 bushings and improve front end stiffness a bit as well last a hell of a lot longer. Also your whole control arm may not need to be changed, if its a non-m control arm you may have the option of changing the ball joints, depending on which ones are giving out. I also have a set of lower control arms non-m that i can sell to you for dirt cheap, you'd just have to replace the ball joints attaching to the spindle as i hacked up the thread and grease boot when i was taking them off my car. The ball joint in the middle that hooks up to the subframe is fine on both. It might also be worth to mention that the control arm bushings are already pressed into these control arms and ready to go. Save a bit of labour plus a nice upgrade on the bushings, and save some big bucks. PM me if you are interested!

you've got mail