maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A little surprised at the 4.6L GT Mustang... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12527)

BMW_M52_M20 03-13-2003 02:00 PM

A little surprised at the 4.6L GT Mustang...

1 Attachment(s)
My friend had an '01 convertble in the summer and I raced him at a light in Brampton. We both had the tires going but all the way up to 120 (which is what we raced to), I was only a little bit behind. The front of my car was still almost at the rear of his car.

I was surprised, I thought it would be much faster. Plus the suspension on those Stangs are garbage stock. Any slight corner at high speeds and she didn't feel to safe.

The one thing I loved about it was the exhaust note. He had a borla system on it and MAN, it sounded so sweet.
Just thought I would share.

Of course, the new 2004 is a different story!!!! *love* *th-up*
Jay

tlaselva 03-13-2003 02:25 PM

Current Mustangs 4.6 L N/A engine is somewhat disappointing with their power output. Also, the current model Mustangs is HEAVY, especially the convertible. There somewhere around 3800lbs.

Ford's serious about contending with the best with their new line of cars. In the next few years, they’re introducing some sweet & very powerful cars. i.e. New Mustang and Lightning. Rumors are the new Lightning's going to be rated at over 500 HP!
And there's rumors of Ford resurrecting the GT40...... *love* (Just enough time for me to get bored of the Z........... ;) )
No one will be making fun of Ford in the near future. They may not have the prestige of a BMW, but you will know who daddy is if you pull up to one at a light, and if the GT40 does go into production, on the track as well.

If we could only hire the designer from Ford, and send him over to BMW, and get rid of that Bangel character; b/4 he has time to screw up all the BMW models....................:idea:

mkgino 03-13-2003 03:14 PM

Are these the new ones? Like with 260 hp?? Man those cars are pigs. I remember when I raced a previous generation 4.6L and I put a car on him 0-60, I couldnt believe it!

Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=120438

BMW_M52_M20 03-13-2003 03:23 PM

Yeah thats the new style (2001). *thmbsdwn*
Jay

mkgino 03-13-2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
Yeah thats the new style (2001). *thmbsdwn*
Jay

We cant compete with them 1/4 mile though, I mean they have too much power. Plus they have an amazing aftermarket, whereas for us we have to spend 3-bills on a blinker.

Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=120438

BMW_M52_M20 03-13-2003 03:36 PM

Yeah, I find my car anyways, that cars take me once I shift into 3rd. 1st and 2nd are surprising to most, but hey I don't give a crap, I am at 100km/h in 2nd.

J

MP328 03-13-2003 04:05 PM

i remember at cauyga there was a guy right next to me in line, i talked to him he said the car runs 14.1 normally but he couldn't get it over 14.5 so with a jump start :D u win

moerom 03-13-2003 04:27 PM

4.6L n/a Mustangs are not really that spectacular. They CAN be fast, but after some mods, just like any other car. However, the sound that motor makes is orgasmic. Its deep but hollow and really aggressive :) Like Tony said, they are heavy as well. The Cobras and Mach 1's are the only serious mustangs out there.

As for the old 5.0 litre Stangs, a few mods and you are flying:)

BladeRunner 03-14-2003 01:28 AM

tlaselva is your Corvette the one with the eletromagnetic shocks, or am I thinking of a different Corvette? If it is do you like them? Seems like they might be cool you can dial in the Mercedes ride when venturing to the country, and the track ride if you ever need to get from point A to B swiftly.

Jon@Bimmersport 03-14-2003 04:00 AM

anyone driven an SVT cobra? i got a ride in moerom's truck and its ****ing FAST..and we had summer tires, on -17 weather! i cant imagine in the summer *love*

are the svt cobra's lighter than the lightining?

moerom 03-14-2003 04:26 AM

By about 1100 lbs :)

tlaselva 03-14-2003 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moerom
By about 1100 lbs :)
The convenience and comfort of a truck, with brutal sportscar acceleration. Best of both worlds.....*th-up*

Heavier it is, but ur Lightning makes up for it with the 5.4L S/C engine, where the Mustang has to make due with the 4.6L S/C....:P

Remember, no replacement for displacement.......:cool:

tlaselva 03-14-2003 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BladeRunner
tlaselva is your Corvette the one with the eletromagnetic shocks, or am I thinking of a different Corvette? If it is do you like them? Seems like they might be cool you can dial in the Mercedes ride when venturing to the country, and the track ride if you ever need to get from point A to B swiftly.
The regular C5 Corvette has the adjustable F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control suspension. It isn't available on the Z06.
The Z06 has a specially tuned suspension, with stiffer roll bars & springs, some negative camber on front and rear, and a few other doo-dads compared to the C5. Suprisingly though, the Z06 is obviously more compliant on the road compared to the M3 I had.
Actually in retrospect, there may have been something wrong with the suspension on my M3................:confused:

Jon@Bimmersport 03-14-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tlaselva
The convenience and comfort of a truck, with brutal sportscar acceleration. Best of both worlds.....*th-up*

Heavier it is, but ur Lightning makes up for it with the 5.4L S/C engine, where the Mustang has to make due with the 4.6L S/C....:P

Remember, no replacement for displacement.......:cool:

why not get a regular mustang, and swap moe's engine in!

what about an S2000? LOL that small chassis with moe's engine

tlaselva 03-14-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by E46_lover
why not get a regular mustang, and swap moe's engine in!

what about an S2000? LOL that small chassis with moe's engine

Put Moe's engine in a S2000, the torque of that engine would twist that car in half! LOL!:D

Now swapping the 5.4L S/C Lightning engine in a Mustang, now maybe you got something there............:idea:
I'd suspect though the 5.4 is a cast iron block like the 4.6. It stands to reason the 5.4 would be heavier. The 4.6 is already too heavy as it is, placing too much weight in the front wheels.
In the end though, I'd rather have a SVT Lightning than a Mustang. Output enough torque so the weight is insignificant, I say! :P