maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   anyone get busted? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124995)

msinger 09-14-2009 11:47 AM

anyone get busted?

I heard the police were set up on friday night on merivale at grace o'malleys and toys r' us pulling over everyone with modified cars looking underneath with mirrors and documenting parts. I have a couple buddies outside the BMW community who narrowly escaped, anyone here get caught?

brunp 09-14-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msinger (Post 1345282)
I heard the police were set up on friday night on merivale at grace o'malleys and toys r' us pulling over everyone with modified cars looking underneath with mirrors and documenting parts. I have a couple buddies outside the BMW community who narrowly escaped, anyone here get caught?

What are they looking for specifically? It is not illegal to have after-market components, so what gives? Or, they looking for rice-rockets that don't have catalytic convertor's, etc?

Paul

msinger 09-14-2009 12:23 PM

about a year ago one of my buddies got pulled over they are mostly looking for straight back exhausts etc and even have a road-side e-test they administer. He drives a skyline so he is prone to being pulled over. When the pulled him over, they documented all the parts in his car even checked his suspension clearance and everything... not sure what if any laws there are about that, but it might be worth looking in to

brunp 09-14-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msinger (Post 1345293)
about a year ago one of my buddies got pulled over they are mostly looking for straight back exhausts etc and even have a road-side e-test they administer. He drives a skyline so he is prone to being pulled over. When the pulled him over, they documented all the parts in his car even checked his suspension clearance and everything... not sure what if any laws there are about that, but it might be worth looking in to

yes, cat-less exhausts and possibly certain illegal HID setups that are not DOT-approved. However, how does having a lowered suspension become illegal? Lambourghini's and some Porsches are one of the few that are unlikely to clear speed-bumps.....

Paul

msinger 09-14-2009 01:29 PM

like i said i cant answer that, or explain why the police are allowed to even document parts in vehicles, i think that if they suspect you being involved with street racing they are allowed to do whatever the hell they want

chromius 09-14-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunp (Post 1345296)
how does having a lowered suspension become illegal? Lambourghini's and some Porsches are one of the few that are unlikely to clear speed-bumps.....

Paul

Difference is that the Lambo's and Porsches are designed that way, and suspension geometry is configured so as to still have proper movement. Lowering a car that's not designed that way, 'can' under certain ciscumstances have detrimental effects. Lower doesn't always = better.

That being said, it's not illegal to lower your car, unless it impedes the ability of the car to turn, or it causes the tire to make contact with the fender in any way.

Nick_V 09-14-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msinger (Post 1345308)
i think that if they suspect you being involved with street racing they are allowed to do whatever the hell they want

Yep, you can thank Mr. Michael Bryant for that...

carjoe 09-14-2009 09:21 PM

But remember, if you get a biker hanging onto the car, feel free to drive into mailboxes, parked cars or light posts. After he/she falls off, don't forget to drive away and not check for a pulse.

chromius 09-14-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1345433)
But remember, if you get a biker hanging onto the car, feel free to drive into mailboxes, parked cars or light posts. After he/she falls off, don't forget to drive away and not check for a pulse.

Lucky he wasn't 'stunt driving' though, otherwise he could have been in real trouble.:rolleyes:

Lee in Ottawa 09-15-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1345320)
Lower doesn't always = better.

You are really starting to show your age Adam. First Prius decibels coming from the 540 and now comments like that. We really need to find you a new toy. How bout this :

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...5500&r=ontario

I'll even lend my expertise to turbo charging the M30 in it. I could probably have it all ready for spring cruise 2017

chromius 09-15-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee in Ottawa (Post 1345630)
You are really starting to show your age Adam. First Prius decibels coming from the 540 and now comments like that. We really need to find you a new toy. How bout this :

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...5500&r=ontario

I'll even lend my expertise to turbo charging the M30 in it. I could probably have it all ready for spring cruise 2017

LMAO...Yes yes, I'll admit I'm getting old, but I still had the same view even when I was 20. I've seen far too many ricers driving around with slammed cars bouncing all over the place, and so much camber that the contact patch of the tires is about as thick as a pencil lead. I like a lowered car as much as the next person, but there is a right way, and a wrong way to do it.:)

I'll have a new project soon enough, but since I'm such an old man now, it'll be a muscle car.:)

Philboski 09-15-2009 02:42 PM

Would this be the legendary Firebird that's been mentioned in hushed tones?

chromius 09-15-2009 02:45 PM

Haha, I don't know about being legendary, but yes.

Bob Loblaw 09-16-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1345637)
Haha, I don't know about being legendary, but yes.

Details pronto, old man!

chromius 09-16-2009 08:40 PM

Well details aren't final yet, and it probably won't be until next season at this point, but looks like I might be getting this...:)
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1204584050