maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Diff question... (lots of info provided) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124578)

325isRED 09-01-2009 07:47 PM

Diff question... (lots of info provided)

92 325is 245K KM

Noticed a humming from the rear lately so I lifted the rear end, turned on the car, popped it into 4th and went to the back to listen.

The sound was coming from the dif for sure. There is oil in the dif, almost as full as it gets; it does seem a bit thin.

If the car is in neutral and I spin one wheel, the other wheel spins in the SAME direction.

If the car is in gear and I spin one wheel, the other wheel will spin in the other direction BUT there is A LOT of resistance; I can barely do it!

Tomorrow I will put in Royal Purple gear oil, but I doubt that will fix anything.

Whats my next course of action?

archrival 09-06-2009 05:29 PM

From the info you have stated it sounds like you have a bearing out of the diff. Most likely a pinion bearing, not cheap when i checked into it last. If i were you i would contact Eurostyle and see how much for a used diff as it would be the cheaper route. Just make sure neither of your outer wheel bearings could be causing the noise you are hearing

Ceeker 09-06-2009 07:17 PM

if the wheels spin in the same direction you have posi. when in neutral. keep in mind the reason it is difficult to spin is because it IS IN GEAR you are using arm muscle to work against the gear box, drive shaft and the diff. Lots of resistance will be felt regardless. The hum could be anything -sound also transfers. The most accurate way is either use a long screw driver and put it where you think the noise is coming from. Move the driver to different locations to see if the vibration/sound grows or diminishes. Wherever it is loudest is the source of your problem. Or you can use s stethoscope - gives the same affect but better. Pinion bearing or flange bearing(s) can be the issue.

325isRED 09-07-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archrival (Post 1343159)
From the info you have stated it sounds like you have a bearing out of the diff. Most likely a pinion bearing, not cheap when i checked into it last. If i were you i would contact Eurostyle and see how much for a used diff as it would be the cheaper route. Just make sure neither of your outer wheel bearings could be causing the noise you are hearing

I was thinking along the same lines. I'm going to hunt down a breakdown of our E36's differential to acquaint myself with it further.

dejan_da_dude 09-07-2009 04:33 PM

Goodluck, Hopefully its just the fluid, Diffs are expencive.

325isRED 09-07-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dejan_da_dude (Post 1343279)
Goodluck, Hopefully its just the fluid, Diffs are expencive.

I've replaced the dif fluid, 1litre of royal purple and .5L Lucas.

Running slightly better but there still is a distinctive sound from the dif. I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my dif; I'm just not sure what yet...