maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   if not for the u.s health care debate would we have even heard of this? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123302)

bmdbley'sBro 07-29-2009 07:16 PM

if not for the u.s health care debate would we have even heard of this?

please note this woman started sueing the gov over healthcare she had to pay for in the u.s
(or go blind waiting for) 2 years ago.
they have just recently filed a defence/ publicly commented, for the 1st time.

Quote:

Ontario fires back against woman in ad

The Ontario government has filed a defence against a claim made by a Hamilton woman who's at the centre of the U.S. debate over health care.

Shona Holmes is featured in a TV campaign in which she claims she had to mortgage her home and travel to a U.S. clinic for brain surgery in 2005, due to a six-month wait for care in Canada. The ad, which began airing about two weeks ago in all 50 states, warns Americans to reject Canadian-style health care because it failed her. In the ad, Ms. Holmes states that if she relied on her government, she'd be dead.

The filing — Ontario's first response to a lawsuit launched two years ago by Ms. Holmes — was filed by the attorney general two weeks ago.

Watch the Commercial:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1234877/

344i 07-29-2009 07:47 PM

sad but true.

bmdbley'sBro 07-29-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 344i (Post 1330243)
sad but true.

whats even more sad & also true - people are attacking her!

ya for not being a good quiet loyal canadian, exemplified by: stfu, patiently waiting and going blind, I guess?

too much!

Finn 07-29-2009 08:13 PM

Great post on Socialized Medicine:

http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2295/26/

Well worth the read.

King Luis 07-29-2009 08:48 PM

i'm glad we have the healthcare system we have...being able to go to the hospital and not having to worry about money is great....i think when your injured, the last thing you want to worry about is how much money i have in the bank. my dad needs to go for surgery soon and although nothing like a brain tumor, he's getting proper treatment. my uncle was in a work place accident which left him in intensive care for 3 months. doctors said he was a slim chance he was going to make it...he is now well but in a wheel chair. my uncle received immediate attention.....his surgeries and care at the hospital would of ruined his life and left him on welfare cheques and a shed.

StikiGreenZ 07-30-2009 09:30 AM

I don't buy that lady's example. It's an extreme example. There's clearly more to the story than was said by a commercial paid for by the "American Prosperity Foundation".

xlash 07-30-2009 11:48 AM

There's good and bad to both sides. Maybe a cohabitation of public and private health care?

Fel 07-30-2009 12:46 PM

What point are you trying to make with this post exactly? That Canada should switch to privatized medicine? Are you nuts?

One of the reasons I'd never move to the US is because of the health care. They may get you through the system quicker, but at what cost? I don't want to have to take out another mortgage or forfeit property because I go and break a leg or get a tumor.

This lady is being made an example because she is an extreme case. Although our system has it's flaws, so does theirs... I guess it's just a matter of deciding which ones are more important to you.

TheLoneVR! 07-30-2009 01:09 PM

I totally agree with Fel
This debate has been going on for years. Im VERY Proud to be Canadian and live in the best country on earth. NO system is perfect but for some reason everyone wants to live here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel (Post 1330527)
What point are you trying to make with this post exactly? That Canada should switch to privatized medicine? Are you nuts?

One of the reasons I'd never move to the US is because of the health care. They may get you through the system quicker, but at what cost? I don't want to have to take out another mortgage or forfeit property because I go and break a leg or get a tumor.

This lady is being made an example because she is an extreme case. Although our system has it's flaws, so does theirs... I guess it's just a matter of deciding which ones are more important to you.

Bullet Ride 07-30-2009 01:30 PM

If you want the equivalent argument against the US health care system just watch Michael Moore's Sicko.

There's truth in all of it, but everything is dealt with in extremes because that's the only way to convince most people one way or another.

daytona 07-30-2009 01:42 PM

the insurance companies,drug companies and lawyers are going full tilt trying to put Canada's health system down.All the BS about wait times and people dying because lack of health care is nuts.You will have the occasional patient that didnt get treatment in time but those are rare incidents.Our health care is not free,we are paying it thru taxes and everyone gets treated.In the USA hospitals will treat you if you have no insurance but will go after everything you own or will own in the future until you pay it off.Over 40 million USA citizens have no access to health care,they cannot afford it.In Canada everyone have access to health care even though the wait times are longer.

DAM 07-30-2009 08:35 PM

Stupid.

Canada - I have never had to wait for health care, and I have probably used about a million dollars in services (and I'm only 22)

If born in the US - I would have offed myself by now due to the guilt I would have felt from making my family poor

saix 07-30-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAM (Post 1330718)
Stupid.

Canada - I have never had to wait for health care, and I have probably used about a million dollars in services (and I'm only 22)

If born in the US - I would have offed myself by now due to the guilt I would have felt from making my family poor

Why would you feel guilty using money that isn't yours? LOL

Finn 07-30-2009 11:28 PM

The point isn't healthcare but FREEDOM. Freedom to make choices for yourself and your family. Here's an excerpt from the link I posted earlier for those that didn't take the time to read the whole thing:

"When health care is the government’s responsibility, it becomes its principal responsibility. Because the minute you make government the provider of health care, you ensure that, come election time, the electorate identifies “health” as its number one concern. Thus, in a democracy, the very fact of socialized medicine seduces the citizenry away from citizenship. Buying health care is no more onerous than buying a car or buying a house – which, pre-Barney Frank, most Americans seemed able to manage. Indeed, most of the complications are caused by existing government interventions. If you were attempting to devise a “system” from scratch, you might opt for insurance for catastrophic scenarios and, for PAP smears and colonoscopies and whatnot, something similar to the tax breaks for a Simplified Employee Pension: C’mon, how difficult can it be? Back in the day, your grampa managed to go to the doctor without routing the admin through Washington. Matter of fact, the doctor came to grampa. That’s how crazy it was.

But the acceptance of the principle that individual health is so complex its management can only be outsourced to the state is a concession no conservative should make. More than any other factor, it dramatically advances the statist logic for remorseless encroachments on self-determination. It’s incompatible with a republic of self-governing citizens. The state cannot guarantee against every adversity and, if it attempts to, it can only do so at an enormous cost to liberty. A society in which you’re free to choose your cable package, your iTunes downloads and who ululates the best on “American Idol” but in which the government takes care of peripheral stuff like your body is a society no longer truly free.
"

http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2295/26/

saix 07-31-2009 01:15 AM

^ what he said.