maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Police Question: Can you get a ticket..... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122891)

sloveniaboy 07-20-2009 02:32 PM

Police Question: Can you get a ticket.....

Can you get a ticket in a parking lot (private property).

SCENARIO:

Lets assume there's something illegal about your car, headlights or front plate or exhaust or whatever.

Police officer sees you as you pull into a private parking lot. You exit the vehicle and close the door. Officer then rolls in and begins to question you about the vehicle and asks for license/registration.

QUESTION:

Can the officer issue a ticket for the infraction?

Colombian 07-20-2009 02:37 PM

I think so just like the can slap you with a ticket if you park on a disability spot in private property.

Dysantic 07-20-2009 02:44 PM

I don't see why he can't give you a ticket. I know they can't give you tickets for things like failing to yield at a stop sign or whatever, but I am pretty sure they can still hand them out for driving an illegal vehicle (or what they may think is illegal).

dble Trouble 07-20-2009 02:52 PM

He absolutely can give you a ticket, because in your scenario, he saw you on the road with your car and then questions you. If the scenario is changed slightly, he can't. For example if the cop sees your car just parked there and not on public roads whatsoever he can't. Since he can't prove that your car has been on public roads illegally. Your car could have been towed there for a car show, and then towed home later on for example.

BMW_7 07-20-2009 03:17 PM

yes, if he was following you on a public street before

Ceeker 07-20-2009 03:50 PM

It really doesn't matter; he can enforce the law because he "is" the law - a representation.
All you end up getting is a hassle in the end and ultimately you lose out not him. Even if it goes to court. Is all that worth the time and aggravation to you? He gets paid to be there...you don't. To him it doesn't matter.

JUS_CRZN 07-20-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble (Post 1326861)
He absolutely can give you a ticket, because in your scenario, he saw you on the road with your car and then questions you. If the scenario is changed slightly, he can't. For example if the cop sees your car just parked there and not on public roads whatsoever he can't. Since he can't prove that your car has been on public roads illegally. Your car could have been towed there for a car show, and then towed home later on for example.

Been there, I was given a ticket for exshaut after i came out of a timmies.
The cop was just sitting there waiting for me.

dble Trouble 07-20-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUS_CRZN (Post 1326886)
Been there, I was given a ticket for exshaut after i came out of a timmies.
The cop was just sitting there waiting for me.

I know what you mean, I was there about 10 years ago, with a Jetta that was "TOO" low. He saw me in the Tim's in Woodbridge and as soon as I pulled out on to hwy 7, bam lights and siren on. Very embarrassing nonetheless.

Boots R 07-20-2009 07:04 PM

I've received tickets that way

window tint tickets and front plate tickets

740-iLL 07-20-2009 07:21 PM

I had a cop follow me into my office parking lot, follow me around the parking lot while I looked for a good spot, finally park and get out of the car, he pulls in behind me and gets out of the vehicle to tell me I dont have a front plate, even though I did, in the windshield.

Either way, he didn't give me a ticket.

ShortShifter 07-20-2009 09:22 PM

Yes

sloveniaboy 07-20-2009 10:23 PM

thanks guys

ShortShifter 07-21-2009 12:16 AM

NP...Having said that fight every ticket.

sirex 07-21-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortShifter (Post 1327102)
NP...Having said that fight every ticket.

just dont forget to show up to the court date, because then youre just guilty .

ShortShifter 07-21-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirex (Post 1327253)
just dont forget to show up to the court date, because then youre just guilty .

Jes*shiner*