maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bimmercruise (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Bimmercruise 2009 Feedback (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122869)

344i 07-19-2009 10:57 PM

Bimmercruise 2009 Feedback

First of all let me give a big thanks to all the members of maxbimmer who made this possible and all the hard work they put into the event. In all honesty, you guys make it worthwhile to come out.

Some feedback from myself and other people I talked to throughout the event, I feel there are a few pointers for next time.

The price: when I first read the thread I figured $20 per car, and $40 to compete. Ok, doable, however, at the track gates this was quite different. It turned out to be 20$ per person, and an extra $40 to compete. This is crazy expensive, and I saw many cars make u turns out of the park in search of ATMs because the price came as a shock.

The drag races were ok, i guess $40 is doable for the day however, when added to the other costs, this was an expensive event for our members, and not that many people did laps or drag racing. It was a shame. Lapping I will say was alot

Food was a tad much too, many members found themselves leaving the course in search of less expensive food choices in Cayuga.

Lastly the biggest shame, was the competition. Don't get me wrong, it was like usual, but I don't think its fair to allow sponsors and shops to compete with the general public. Its a unfair advantage, access to parts, lifts, tools, and they always win all the prizes. Sponsor and shop cars are terrific , don t get me wrong, but how can anyone else match their dedicated budgets?

Just a few collective thoughts.

BMW_7 07-19-2009 11:09 PM

I agree with this.. Randy thanks for organizing this and your effort is greatly appreciated, after all we all know Bimmercruise would not exist without you.

I must say however that every year there are obstacles that undoubtedly drive people away. Example - the 2008 show was free to spectate but was $20 participate in the show. That's doable and I don't know why this couldn't be done this time?

Some pics of arguably the best show we ever had, Bimmercruise 2003, when admission & spectating was free, it was located within GTA, and it seems we had the biggest turnout with the most interesting cars. For those of you who don't remember or haven't been, here are some pics.

This was a beautiful show perfectly executed. E36s were together, E46s were together, and to top it off we had some rare cars - the Z1 and Z8 drop by. I hope we have a show like that again, but from the looks of it I don't think we ever will

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=221140

BMW_7 07-19-2009 11:18 PM

Back when it was a big deal, lol

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=220882

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=220871

Teckademics AA Turbo M3

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...&postid=221338

Oz_Racing 07-19-2009 11:47 PM

i think the prices were just fine, as the drag strip had no line up and for 40 u could have done easy 20 runs... if ur car was up to it. overall everything was just great no one seemed to be doing anything dumb to cause issues, and everything looked like it was running well, other then when Randy had that "walk of shame" pulling his chariot back to charge it :P

WICKED JOB

-and i won this year :D so happy ... hehe

E36kev 07-20-2009 12:30 AM

This years show was great. The cost was a little high. But I had a great day!!!! Thanx too all who worked on and sponsored the show! Most of all Randy and the Cross Avenue Staff!!! U guys are second too none!!! Im also happy with my runner up and 1st in sound. But most of all for the HRE wheel and tire package!!!!!! Im still smiling!!!

Eurostyle 07-20-2009 12:31 AM

Having seen all the events since the start, (7-8 years ago? dont even remeber lol) i have to say things have changed a LOT! The firts ones were very simple, not more then just a regular meet...NO prizes, not many sponsors (Motronix and Chuch's if i remember). Over the years it changed to a full out car show, with all the costs! (sponsors, track rental, insurance, prizes, dyno, etc etc etc...)

I think the price is low, considering registration to most shows is about $75 and $18-20 entrance per person!

As for shops/sponsors not beeing allowed to compete...get real, go to any car show and see who wins!! Its the BEST cars, in other words the most work done...and 95% of the time its people in the business. Like any other Motorsport these days, its all about how much $$$/sponsors you have backing you up.

mirek 07-20-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1326694)
Having seen all the events since the start, (7-8 years ago? dont even remeber lol) i have to say things have changed a LOT! The firts ones were very simple, not more then just a regular meet...NO prizes, not many sponsors (Motronix and Chuch's if i remember). Over the years it changed to a full out car show, with all the costs! (sponsors, track rental, insurance, prizes, dyno, etc etc etc...)

I think the price is low, considering registration to most shows is about $75 and $18-20 entrance per person!

As for shops/sponsors not beeing allowed to compete...get real, go to any car show and see who wins!! Its the BEST cars, in other words the most work done...and 95% of the time its people in the business. Like any other Motorsport these days, its all about how much $$$/sponsors you have backing you up.

\

Agreed, i dont think 20$ per person is expensive!

Gamite 07-20-2009 12:49 AM

$40 for competing is completely acceptable, it's probably cheaper than any other show.

$20 may be much for a spectator, but sometimes it's due to the venue, and not the organizer.

For what it's worth, I thought the show was really good, randy put a lot into this show, and sometimes as a spectator, you don't realize how much he puts into it. To hold the show at cayuga cost a pretty penny, I don't know if he even broke even on the show. Remember that Randy has no obligation to do this show, and he's doing it more for the community than himself.

Big up to Randy on another great show. He worked his ass off for this show guys, I know $20 seem's like a lot, but I'm sure he tried to keep things as reasonable as possible. I think paying the $60 bucks once per year is worth it to have the community together like this.

Zook@SCB 07-20-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite (Post 1326696)
For what it's worth, I thought the show was really good, randy put a lot into this show, and sometimes as a spectator, you don't realize how much he puts into it. To hold the show at cayuga cost a pretty penny, I don't know if he even broke even on the show. Remember that Randy has no obligation to do this show, and he's doing it more for the community than himself.

Big up to Randy on another great show. He worked his ass off for this show guys, I know $20 seem's like a lot, but I'm sure he tried to keep things as reasonable as possible. I think paying the $60 bucks once per year is worth it to have the community together like this.

I +1 That

344i 07-20-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite (Post 1326696)
$40 for competing is completely acceptable, it's probably cheaper than any other show.

$20 may be much for a spectator, but sometimes it's due to the venue, and not the organizer.

Don't get me wrong, I paid just like everyone else. It was only me in my car, so $20 was not unreasonable, I am just throwing things out there from other people.

Randy is probably the best member and mod of this community, and he goes out of his way for us, but at the same time, I know Randy appreciates all input into the venues. Alot of people didn't show up to this Bimmercruise, and price could be one of the reasons. Like I said, I wasn't upset by it, because it was just a $20. If I brought friends with me as planned and I had to spruce them $20 each, I wouldn t be too happy.

BigD 07-20-2009 09:22 AM

I'll give my 2 cents on this. I entered the time trial, and we were only supposed to get 2 15 min practice sessions. People who paid for lapping were only supposed to get 8x15. I don't know if I should be saying this but let's just say people got a LOT more than they paid for. The $20 admission is not Randy's choice. That's what it costs to enter TMP. Think of it as if he held the show in a provincial park or a downtown parking lot - you pay what the facility charges to get in, and beyond that it's up to the promoter. So I could understand that people who just wanted to drop by and look, $20 may not be a huge value, since it was mainly private enthusiasts showing off/lapping/dragging - only a few full-on race cars. But then that's not what this show really caters to anyway. In my opinion it's mainly for the participants, not the spectators. And speaking as one, I can say that the day was a blast and an amazing value.

PS: To anyone who didn't like the price of food, welcome to every racetrack (or any other remote place with some kind of on-site catering).

Fel 07-20-2009 09:41 AM

Alright, I'll chime in...

First of all, just want to say a big thank you to Randy and all the event staff for putting on a fantastic show!! There was a great turnout, some really nice cars, great people, great times! Nicely done, you guys deserve a huge round of applause!

Okay, my take on the prices... not the end of the world. Like it was mentioned, the $20 per head (not per car) was unexpected, but that's the price of admission and it's beyond anyone's control. Really though, when you compare it to any other public event, it's not out of line. You need to pay to get into anything, that's just how it is. Price of food? Didn't phase me at all. That's completely expected at any public event... fries and a hot dog would not be any cheaper at some local county fair, why would it be at a track?

The racing was alright... lapping prices were a bit high, but the strip was fine. $40 for all-you-can-drive isn't unreasonable. It's too bad the track wasn't as dry and hot as it could have been, I'm sure we could have seen some better times out of some of these. (Randy, I know you can break 6 minutes if conditions are right :D)

Otherwise I don't think I've got anything to complain about! We had a nice long day, tons of people to talk to, tons of beautiful cars to look at (although next time we need to up the ante on the "other" eye candy... it's a big park... haha). The weather actually did all right... it never actually raised, and we didn't bake all day in the hot sun, so win-win I'd say. The cruise on the way over was nice, very scenic! But those damn bicycles need to go... don't they know we have places to drive to!?

Once again, fantastic show guys!! Can't wait 'til next year!

325ixE30 07-20-2009 09:53 AM

The cruise was a lot of fun. Thanks for putting it together.

BMe30 07-20-2009 05:21 PM

this was my first bimmercruise and show. i had a great time! for the time attack only thing that was a kick in A for me was the fact that i have a m42 and was put into the same class "prepared" as an m3 LOL but in the end it was all for fun. i knew what i was going to be up against and just had fun. i came into the show to enjoy the track, look at some cars, meet some fellow max members.. and somehow walked away with 2nd e30 mild :) sweet. can't wait till next year!!

burnhard22 07-20-2009 08:11 PM

Food

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's a "TRACK" and I know how "TRACK" food is but a few more food venues would have been nice. (Them receiving a cut and all)
It's cheaper then playing golf..and you go much faster too...
Next year some sooup up a golf cart...please.
It was a good day Thanks to Randy and All!
*smoke*