maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   performance improvments for a M52... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122728)

ericdalinda 07-15-2009 09:12 PM

performance improvments for a M52...
 
What to do first in a 1000 dollar budget range.

I just want to hear what some of you would do with a 1000 bucks.

now from what i understand theres the M50 manifold if im correct?
or S52 cams??

i have really no idea so if someone can chime in on what they did with their M52 that would be GREAT.

thanks

Bullet Ride 07-15-2009 09:54 PM

Yeah there's the OBDI conversion which is $350-400
If you were to get an M50 manifold I'd get a chip to optimize for the new manifold as well. Try MarkD he quoted me somewhere around $450 IIRC for an ecu flash for the 530 (which is an M54 though)

I've heard that an M52B28 with an with OBDI conversion and a chip is good for ~220hp

ericdalinda 07-15-2009 10:45 PM

so its 400 OBDI conversion then another 450 for the chip???

hmmm thats pretty good HP/$ ratio

what about cams? anybody jump in those waters?

id like to hear what people would do with there 328I with 1000 be it sound performance what ever.

Bullet Ride 07-16-2009 12:45 AM

You can typically find used sets of s52 cams for between $300-$400. The will run fine on the stock tune, but one again to get the most out of the mod you'll need bigger injectors and a tune.
The best thing to do would be to save up a bit longer and just buy a kit
http://www.eurosporthighperformance.com/cam_kits.html

dbworld4k 07-16-2009 01:09 AM

Search the E36 section here and on BF.C. This topic has been discussed to great lengths many times before and there's plenty of good info out there.

doogee 07-16-2009 04:21 AM

If you haven't gotten an LSD yet, do that first. Then M50 manifold.

trd_mr2 07-16-2009 05:56 AM

with 1000 keep on saving, one day turbo or save for a m3 swap

craigIS 07-16-2009 02:43 PM

get an LSD first, then go for the manifold or cams.

ericdalinda 07-16-2009 04:08 PM

the car as i beleive has LSD Dinan M5 thanks for the website that looks like Great performance kits.

theblue 07-16-2009 04:55 PM

what makes you think you have an LSD? I didn't think a 96 would have one, it should be the horrible 2.9x stock one. getting a 3.23 LSD from an M3 should be number one on your list.

Bullet Ride 07-16-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd_mr2 (Post 1325364)
with 1000 keep on saving, one day turbo or save for a m3 swap

That would be a waste being that the car already has an M52 swap, for a couple thousand more in part upgrades he can get it pretty close to s52 power which is more than enough seeing as it's a ti shell

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblue (Post 1325568)
what makes you think you have an LSD? I didn't think a 96 would have one, it should be the horrible 2.9x stock one. getting a 3.23 LSD from an M3 should be number one on your list.

The car has a 3.73 LSD, the previous owner installed it.

344i 07-16-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 (Post 1325583)
That would be a waste being that the car already has an M52 swap, for a couple thousand more in part upgrades he can get it pretty close to s52 power which is more than enough seeing as it's a ti shell



The car has a 3.73 LSD, the previous owner installed it.

Also, the Ti came with a LSD STOCK in the mtech package. so eitherway, it would have one.*wave*

propr'one 07-16-2009 07:19 PM

3.38 diff.

(unless its a ti, which glancing over this thread it looks like it is)

Dr. Flyview 07-16-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 (Post 1325241)
Yeah there's the OBDI conversion which is $350-400
If you were to get an M50 manifold I'd get a chip to optimize for the new manifold as well. Try MarkD he quoted me somewhere around $450 IIRC for an ecu flash for the 530 (which is an M54 though)

I've heard that an M52B28 with an with OBDI conversion and a chip is good for ~220hp

Is that WHP? Cause if it's bhp that wouldn't be enough of an increase (192->220) ...software alone would almost do that. If it's WHP, that's huge.

Bullet Ride 07-16-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flav_cool (Post 1325647)
Is that WHP? Cause if it's bhp that wouldn't be enough of an increase (192->220) ...software alone would almost do that. If it's WHP, that's huge.

I'm talking at the crank. An M52B28 with OBDI conversion, s52 cams, injectors, and a chip will bring the hp into e36 M3 range (~240hp@crank or ~209hp@wheels). A chip alone is not going to give the car a 30hp gain, usually 15-20hp gain max. An OBDI conversion plus a chip is probably good for around a 30hp gain (~225hp@crank or ~190hp@wheels).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014