maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why can't i buy ...... Can someone at bmw tell me? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122635)

punnzzells 07-13-2009 07:58 PM

Why can't i buy ...... Can someone at bmw tell me?

Why can't I purchase a 118d r a 120 i / d from BMW? it's not like the 1 series aren't here?

they have a 335D and an X5 D here... why can't I buy a 118D?

when I was in Europe I saw a 116, 118, 120, 123, and a 128, and the 135..... why can't I get a 116 or a 118D?

I would really like to know b/c the dealer ain't sayin' shizit!:moon:

Dado 540 07-13-2009 08:01 PM

Cause you are in Canada and not Europe. That's why lol

punnzzells 07-13-2009 08:09 PM

^ besides that!

I just went on BMW .de and created my 116D ( all my options) and it came out to 25.120,00 euro.... that's about $40K according to xe.com...

not bad....not bad!

europrince 07-13-2009 08:56 PM

dude, small displacement european cars don't have enough a market here. everyone still shops displacement, horsepower and option lists. until the market can sustain enough sales of small displacement/diesel/stripped down models, its not happening. buy a 323i... or maybe a mercedes b200. small fiats will be coming to a chrysler dealership near you in a couple years

Dado 540 07-14-2009 04:14 AM

I wonder if you purchase the 116d in Germany let say and import it here, will you still be able to service/warranty it in our dealerships?

MiroE36 07-14-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado 540 (Post 1324516)
I wonder if you purchase the 116d in Germany let say and import it here, will you still be able to service/warranty it in our dealerships?

It is likely that they would service your car but they have to do special orders for parts... aka more $$$

punnzzells 07-14-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by europrince (Post 1324381)
dude, small displacement european cars don't have enough a market here. everyone still shops displacement, horsepower and option lists. until the market can sustain enough sales of small displacement/diesel/stripped down models, its not happening. buy a 323i... or maybe a mercedes b200. small fiats will be coming to a chrysler dealership near you in a couple years

I don't agree..... why is Honda bringing a diesel to N.America now... and regular Civics are 1.9L motors.... city golf, rabbits... 4 cyclinder... they are all popular.... not to mention the new Toyota Prius....

I think it's more of the BIG 3 controlling what you buy..... if we don't make it... then you can't bring it or buy it....

It makes no sense... the 1's are already here.... they are selling a lot of 335D and X5 D's since gas is crawling back up.... even look at the add VW has out for their diesel pocking fun at hybrids....

BMW should be ahead of the curve.. not behind it!

They even have hybrids in Germany... but , not here!

Dado 540 07-14-2009 03:43 PM

HAHAHHAA

Fel 07-14-2009 04:03 PM

BMW diesels are coming to north america (including Canada)... this was announced some time ago. here's an article from a few months ago... just no 1 series yet. But I don't doubt it'll get here eventually.

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/gui...mentid=5577899

europrince 07-14-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punnzzells (Post 1324651)
I don't agree..... why is Honda bringing a diesel to N.America now... and regular Civics are 1.9L motors.... city golf, rabbits... 4 cyclinder... they are all popular.... not to mention the new Toyota Prius....

I think it's more of the BIG 3 controlling what you buy..... if we don't make it... then you can't bring it or buy it....

It makes no sense... the 1's are already here.... they are selling a lot of 335D and X5 D's since gas is crawling back up.... even look at the add VW has out for their diesel pocking fun at hybrids....

You obviously haven't been watching the news. The big 3 almost collapsed because we didn't buy what they produced, or conversely, they didn't produce what we want.

Fuel is twice as expensive in Europe as it is here. That's why they love their small cars with diesels or small displacement gas engines. Gas is cheap here and people love their big cars with big power. There isn't enough of a market in North America YET to make a business case for these small engined cars. Canada loves smaller cars but the market is too small to warrant much of a different product line from that of the US.

Economics 101 dude.

ChrisTO 07-14-2009 04:17 PM

you got it...supply and demand.

to the OP - the purpose of any automaker is to maximize profit and sales. why bring in the lower end 1series if there is still a market for the higher end 1series and larger engined 3ers.

until that market dries up there is no reason for them bring over the rest of the lineup.

in fact i hear that 5er tourings will no longer be brought into the US. a few things comes to mind - very few people buying them and more people buying the very profitable X3/X5s. no surprise they make them here in NA now to avoid import taxes. and aside from the small numbers of 5er touring sold there is also cost of retrofitting the car to pass NA standards and going through the various safety tests. BMW isn't quite a low volume car maker like Ferrari/Lambo...etc. If they were none of us would be driving one and just be talking about them only.
:)

unfortunately very few people here in NA want the smaller engined cars. and they charge a premium on the diesel cars cause they can as probably enthusiasts will buy them and willing to pay top dollar for it.

not quite the answer the OP wants to hear but it's a reality of a land and oil rich coutnry but people poor country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by europrince (Post 1324704)
You obviously haven't been watching the news. The big 3 almost collapsed because we didn't buy what they produced, or conversely, they didn't produce what we want.

Fuel is twice as expensive in Europe as it is here. That's why they love their small cars with diesels or small displacement gas engines. Gas is cheap here and people love their big cars with big power. There isn't enough of a market in North America YET to make a business case for these small engined cars. Canada loves smaller cars but the market is too small to warrant much of a different product line from that of the US.

Economics 101 dude.

TheLoneVR! 07-14-2009 04:52 PM

Diesel cars are great but not for here. Unless ur doing alot of highway driving then fine. I speak from experience, I have a TDi in the family now for 6 years and my e46 gets 60-90 km per tank less than the Jetta. Same driving habits!

Highway driving TDi gets abit more but for the difference you pay on the Diesel engines the premium isnt justified.
Id rather pay LESS for the gas engine and get more power and pay a few bucks more on gas.

NOTORIOUS VR 07-14-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punnzzells (Post 1324651)
I don't agree..... why is Honda bringing a diesel to N.America now...

AFAIK they're not anymore.

Quote:

It makes plenty of sense... The MAJORITY of people in North America won't buy a 118d, plain and simple. Just because a few people might think they want it, BMW isn't stupid they won't spend all that money to federalize the small diesel engine for the small amount of people that might buy them.

You're barking up the wrong tree, BMW know's what they're doing.

If you want a small diesel so bad move to Europe.

and lol to $40 for a 118d being 'not bad' :rolleyes:

punnzzells 07-17-2009 07:56 PM

Da

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1324729)
AFAIK they're not anymore.

It makes plenty of sense... The MAJORITY of people in North America won't buy a 118d, plain and simple. Just because a few people might think they want it, BMW isn't stupid they won't spend all that money to federalize the small diesel engine for the small amount of people that might buy them.

You're barking up the wrong tree, BMW know's what they're doing.

If you want a small diesel so bad move to Europe.

and lol to $40 for a 118d being 'not bad' :rolleyes:

aaahhhh... they don't federalize a diesel motor.... I dunno where you got that from?

What happens is they add an additive to the diesel engine when it first lands in CANADA at the dealership and that additive reduces emissions.... this is done with the X5 and the 335 that are currently in CANADA.

Now, to the other comment about the BIG 3 almost dying....

yes, but it was the federal government of USA and Canada that bailed them out.... now, if you look at the majority of adds run for the big 3.. they are all focusing on MPG , FUEL effecientcy, and " getting down to business ". The government just announced today up to $10,000.00 in rebates for purchasing a hybrid / electric car....

lvan 07-17-2009 10:49 PM

I would just enjoy the V8 power and shhhh.