maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   blacked out corners? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122633)

Vander 07-13-2009 07:29 PM

blacked out corners?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so I've already bought two different kinds of "black out" tint and neither of them turned out dark enough . . . more like smoked than blacked out

this is the look I'm going for, anyone done this and what tint did you use???

328is 07-14-2009 07:04 AM

This is no tint, it's paint !

And it looks like he used the color code of the car

trd_mr2 07-14-2009 07:15 AM

maybe you can use lamin-x

W2WDETAILING 07-14-2009 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
VHT night shades. but good luck getting your hands on it i purchased a can in the falls last year for 20 dollars. people are selling it for almost double in toronto if you can find it. i was in the falls last month and the store said the sold 172 cans of this stuff in 2weeks! and they re ordered and its on back order from the supplier. also lamin-x isn't dark enough

these are my tail lights and my plate filler tinted about 70% with night shades

Vander 07-14-2009 10:17 AM

yeah my friend told me about vht night shades . . . he actualy did it on his car but when lit up it looked kind of splotchy, i was hoping here was a really dark tint that might be more uniform

I guess the trick is to get it to spray on there nice and even*th-up*

I think i might get some clear lamin-x put it on and spray that instead of directly onto the lights . . . that way if i screw it up i can just start over :D

W2WDETAILING 07-14-2009 10:27 AM

if you dont prep your surface it will look like shit. you have to sand the corners with 2000grit then do multiple light coats sanding between coats with 2000 or if you can get 2500 even better. then in order to preserve the finish hit it with a coat or 2 of clear or it will peel and chip like nothing. esp on the front of the vehicle. also if you plan on doing it to those clear lights make sure there is a diffuser like plastic inside such as oem...you cant sand lamin-x so how are you going to get the tint spray to adhere properly? lamin-x is also self healing so the spray will probl crack off with heat and cold.

Vander 07-14-2009 10:38 AM

thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and give it a try and forget the lamin-x all together . . . now its just a matter of tracking down some VHT night shades!

Trouble65 07-14-2009 03:40 PM

Why would you want to do this to your car? Especially when the cops are cracking down on vehicles that don't look stock. Having said that in my opinion it looks ugly.

W2WDETAILING 07-14-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trouble65 (Post 1324688)
Why would you want to do this to your car? Especially when the cops are cracking down on vehicles that don't look stock. Having said that in my opinion it looks ugly.

different strokes for different folks i know someone who has an black e30 and thier tail lights are literally black they have been like this for the past 2 years and they haven"t had any problems what so ever. the light emits thru the tint spray very well.

europrince 07-14-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trouble65 (Post 1324688)

*th-up* exactly

Trouble65 07-14-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING (Post 1324694)
different strokes for different folks i know someone who has an black e30 and thier tail lights are literally black they have been like this for the past 2 years and they haven"t had any problems what so ever. the light emits thru the tint spray very well.

I had a friend that was driving a Cavalier with tinted lights. He got pulled over and got a big fine, not only that he had to call a tow truck. His tinted lights had a price tag of $345. I'm not saying yes or no to the mod, just my .02 cents

Vander 07-15-2009 12:53 PM

well I picked up some Tamiya smoke and clear paint from a hobby shop just around the corner from where I work, sprayed them last night and they turned out awesome!!

I'll post some picks when I get home tonight

Vander 07-15-2009 07:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright so here is a before and after shot and the last one shows how much light actually still shines through *th-up*

let me know what you think!

sammyD323 11-29-2009 02:32 PM

looks really good, perfect. did you start with a smoked corner or clear corner? did you sand it like the guy said?? i want to buy smoked corners but none are dark enough for my liking. Im hesitant to use paint and such because i like the clear, crystled look but jsut really dark... it also sucks that the 2000+ e46's have really dark smoked corners avaliable but non for my car...

Vander 11-30-2009 07:01 PM

yeah i actually started with a smoked corner but I am sure the end result would be the same either way. Just make sure you do a lot of real light coats to make sure it goes on even. You only need to lightly wet sand it with 2000 grit a few times, definitely not after every coat. I couldn't find any place that had the vht nightshades but the Tamiya smoke and clear worked just as well and has held up no problem. You can find the Tamiya paint at most hobby shops.