maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Knowing whether your car is "street worthy" or if its seconds away from getting towed (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122367)

spoony_prelude 07-06-2009 08:34 PM

Knowing whether your car is "street worthy" or if its seconds away from getting towed

So after hearing about this new found enjoyment cops are having of pulling plates off cars, I've come to think, I don't even want to risk the chance of that happening. Some of you may know my car, If you've been to the max meets recently it's been there. 10k h.i.d.s in the fogs/headlights. Minor stretch, 8.5" wide rim with a 215/35/zr18. in thr front you can pass your hand big or small np with the wheels turned. Rear its hard to pass a finger but do-able. Anything else I should be looking for to make sure these doorknobs dont have any excuse to write me up a ticket or yank my plates?

Oh and btw I will be raising the rear. Im just waiting for the new PSS9's to fuly settle before i adjust anything.

Also just curious if anyone else has changed their cars in order to make them less "bait" if you would say.

Thanks

Jay

T.Dot_E30 07-06-2009 08:47 PM

Just be sure your car will pass safety.

Your car has to go lock to lock without rubbing anything. They will look in the fenders for signs of rubbing. If they see anything, they can pull it for being un-safe.

They can also pull your plates for anything safety related. Parking brakes, structural damage, missing/damanged safety items. Smaller things which shouldn't get your plates pulled by itself but technically can are cracked windshield, lights, seat belts, etc.

jeremy 07-06-2009 08:47 PM

pics please

EstorilM3 07-06-2009 10:21 PM

"...new found enjoyment cops are having of pulling plates off cars..."

This is nothing new.
Cops and Minstry of Transportation officials had the right to do that from Day 1 in Ontario.
It's just that they don't excersize it much.

Many years ago, Minstry of Transportation people used to set up check spots...usually on some empty parking lot near a busy street.
They would pull people over, and test things like parking brakes...cars would climb a ramp, then they would ask you to engage it. If the car rolled more than 2 inches you failed, and they would rip the plates off.

Don't know why they don't do that any more.
Maybe, they just can't be bothered.

BlitzSix 07-06-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1321900)
Just be sure your car will pass safety.

Your car has to go lock to lock without rubbing anything. They will look in the fenders for signs of rubbing. If they see anything, they can pull it for being un-safe.

They can also pull your plates for anything safety related. Parking brakes, structural damage, missing/damanged safety items. Smaller things which shouldn't get your plates pulled by itself but technically can are cracked windshield, lights, seat belts, etc.

I think it depends on the situation though. Because I know for a fact that my friend got pulled over for speeding, her parking brake wasn't working, the cop asked her to test it and it failed, and he just wrote another ticket for it...

Could he really have pulled her plates just for that ? Did he "let her off" in a way by just giving the ticket ?

THE GURSH 07-06-2009 10:53 PM

The Minstry still do random spot checks. I remmeber last summer they had a check set up on Hwy 7 near the martingrove Timmies. The cops were pulling 3 cars at a time, moddified of course. But I mostly see the ministry outside of Toronto and they look more concered with the big rig trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing more spot checks though

dble Trouble 07-07-2009 12:09 AM

This is all old news but everyone has to learn for themselves. It was happening in the '60's with the muscle cars then. (my dad told me, I'm not that old) It was happening in the '80's when I was growing up, mostly with the 5 litres and the z28 camaros. (remember them?) Then in the '90's with the hotted up hatches. And now with anything that looks modified. Now is probably the worst time because of all of the negative press, and pressure from the general public to stop street racing. Now, I know most of us don't but look at it from their perspective. Whenever there's a street racing incident (not always, just often) it is usually some riced up car with a 17-24 year old behind the wheel. So, their thought process is, hit you where it hurts! Like I said, everyone seems to have to learn for themselves!

Dr. Flyview 07-07-2009 01:15 AM

My car is stock height (I believe sport suspension) but due to my tires being the wrong size, 225/45/17 instead of 235/40/17 they rub close to full lock...

I could get my plates pulled? ...dang. Oh yea, my front bumper/lip is about to fall off. Black M3 bumper for sale anyone!??

Steve30 07-07-2009 01:33 AM

I'm pretty sure that rubbing, regardless of vehicle height, is unsafe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flav_cool (Post 1321978)
My car is stock height (I believe sport suspension) but due to my tires being the wrong size, 225/45/17 instead of 235/40/17 they rub close to full lock...

I could get my plates pulled? ...dang. Oh yea, my front bumper/lip is about to fall off. Black M3 bumper for sale anyone!??

trd_mr2 07-07-2009 01:42 AM

how much for ur bumper ?

magnus 07-07-2009 06:52 AM

If your car passes your annual inspection the cops cant do shit!

arsevader 07-07-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnus (Post 1321999)
If your car passes your annual inspection the cops cant do shit!

Unlike many European countries, there is no federally/provincially mandated annual inspection in Canada.

propr'one 07-07-2009 09:10 AM

You'll be alright man. 10000K hids are a lil extreme, but if milan can get away with running 30000K lowbeams in a spraypainted black civic hatch, you'll be fine.

Ceeker 07-07-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dble Trouble (Post 1321960)
This is all old news but everyone has to learn for themselves. It was happening in the '60's with the muscle cars then. (my dad told me, I'm not that old) It was happening in the '80's when I was growing up, mostly with the 5 litres and the z28 camaros. (remember them?) Then in the '90's with the hotted up hatches. And now with anything that looks modified. Now is probably the worst time because of all of the negative press, and pressure from the general public to stop street racing. Now, I know most of us don't but look at it from their perspective. Whenever there's a street racing incident (not always, just often) it is usually some riced up car with a 17-24 year old behind the wheel. So, their thought process is, hit you where it hurts! Like I said, everyone seems to have to learn for themselves!

yeah you're pretty old man...LOL...so am I come to think of it.!!! LOL

BigD 07-07-2009 09:44 AM

It's pretty interesting how much entitlement there is for driving - a privilege. I don't think there was anything diabolical involved in the original thread. I think most calm and rational people would be able to look at it and know that any cop that has the time to bother with it will put a firm fist in your anus.