maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   failed e-brake replacement of shoes (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120863)

apriliadr 05-28-2009 03:23 PM

failed e-brake replacement of shoes
 
so I finished replaces my e-brake shoes, set the shoes snug against the drums so that there is some drag., I also adjust parking brake handle, tighten done and test to see if it works. Car just kept rolling back on unlevel surface. Did I miss a step?

dannyb 05-28-2009 03:40 PM

are you sure your cable is still good?

Ceeker 05-28-2009 03:43 PM

I believe they have self adjusting capacity. Drive the car backwards down the road and do some heavy braking. do this a few times it does help adjust he emerg brakes. Unless I am mistaken...

T.Dot_E30 05-28-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1307734)
I believe they have self adjusting capacity. Drive the car backwards down the road and do some heavy braking. do this a few times it does help adjust he emerg brakes. Unless I am mistaken...

You definitely are mistaken (or smoking crack)....the e-brake mechanism has no connection to the hydraulic brake line.


How did you adjust the parking brake handle? Maybe you adjusted it the wrong way? and made the cable too loose ?

Also did you ensure the little piece at the bottom where the cable comes in was free and not seized? If that small part is seize your brake shoes won't budge.

apriliadr 05-28-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1307742)
You definitely are mistaken (or smoking crack)....the e-brake mechanism has no connection to the hydraulic brake line.


How did you adjust the parking brake handle? Maybe you adjusted it the wrong way? and made the cable too loose ?

Also did you ensure the little piece at the bottom where the cable comes in was free and not seized? If that small part is seize your brake shoes won't budge.

what piece at the bottom? I didn't check that part, what does it look like? pics preferred.
thanks

T.Dot_E30 05-29-2009 10:41 AM

Part #5.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/p/t/2.png

Brent 05-24-2010 08:17 PM

If that part is seized, first, how do you get it off, and second, if you replace it, will a seized brake generally work?

Ceeker 05-24-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1307742)
You definitely are mistaken (or smoking crack)....the e-brake mechanism has no connection to the hydraulic brake line.


How did you adjust the parking brake handle? Maybe you adjusted it the wrong way? and made the cable too loose ?

Also did you ensure the little piece at the bottom where the cable comes in was free and not seized? If that small part is seize your brake shoes won't budge.

oh wait! come to think of it... yes! I think I was smoking crack at the time...lol.

everlast 05-25-2010 01:34 AM

LOL jeezus Ceeker I swear you just make stuff up.

Part #5 almost always seizes up, and unless you know that its supposed to move it looks like it doesn't. Rip it back out, soak it in oil and see if it frees up.

Brent 05-25-2010 07:42 AM

I've been pulling on it by hand, is there a tool or any advice that will makee it come off easier? Or do I just have to keep yanking on it? Does it have a catch or anything that needs to be undone to allow it to come off?

dannyb 05-25-2010 08:21 AM

#5 should be held on by the #6 pin, that can be a pain to take off

Ceeker 05-25-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everlast (Post 1423040)
LOL jeezus Ceeker I swear you just make stuff up.

Part #5 almost always seizes up, and unless you know that its supposed to move it looks like it doesn't. Rip it back out, soak it in oil and see if it frees up.

Yeah, I kinda like it..keeps people on their toes...LOL


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014