maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   e39 Third Brake Light Melted (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120438)

JonE39 05-18-2009 10:18 PM

e39 Third Brake Light Melted

I had a "check brake light" warning on for awhile but the light still worked. Then the light quit working so I pulled the bulb socket out. The bulb itself is melted into place in the socket and is drooping slightly. I'm considering buying a new socket and bulb but this will just be a waste of money if there is something else that is wrong. Anyone else have this happen?

Dado 540 05-18-2009 11:11 PM

If you are reffering to the brake light located under the rear glass, i have noticed that the plastic around the bulb housing has a bit of melted plastic. At the time the bulb burned out and i opened it for a replacement, and seen the melted plastic (nothing extreme). I just replaced the bulb and popped it back i place. Havent checked it since (been over 2 years).

Can anyone else chime in on this one?

JonE39 05-19-2009 02:11 AM

Well I've tried to remove the bulb but it is fused into place.

Dado 540 05-19-2009 12:45 PM

^ haha thats more like it!

overlordjd 05-21-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonE39 (Post 1303931)
I had a "check brake light" warning on for awhile but the light still worked. Then the light quit working so I pulled the bulb socket out. The bulb itself is melted into place in the socket and is drooping slightly. I'm considering buying a new socket and bulb but this will just be a waste of money if there is something else that is wrong. Anyone else have this happen?

I had the same thing happen to me but eventually got the bulb out.
To avoid any future issues I ended up just changing both the holder and bulb.
It was not too costly from Parkview BMW.
No problems since.

Trouble65 05-22-2009 08:18 AM

You learn something new every day. I have to go and look at my car.

MLue1 05-22-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlordjd (Post 1305261)
I had the same thing happen to me but eventually got the bulb out.
To avoid any future issues I ended up just changing both the holder and bulb.
It was not too costly from Parkview BMW.
No problems since.

Are you sure it is melted, when I changed my license place bulb I thought the connection had melted as well be as it turned out it was only a bit of corrosion on the bulb and contacts. I cleaned up the contact and applied some dialectric grease and everything has been fine.

overlordjd 05-22-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLue1 (Post 1305489)
Are you sure it is melted, when I changed my license place bulb I thought the connection had melted as well be as it turned out it was only a bit of corrosion on the bulb and contacts. I cleaned up the contact and applied some dialectric grease and everything has been fine.

You should never have condensation on the 3rd brake light due to its position not being exposed to the exterior of the car. If you do, then you have a serious issue on your hands. This is caused by poor connections from the bulb and the contact which generates heat and overtime may melt the plastic holder.