maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Diff between E39 Sport and standard suspension (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120310)

tlinkletter 05-14-2009 09:07 PM

Diff between E39 Sport and standard suspension

What is the difference between the standard and sport suspension on an E39 528i. Looking at upgrading and thinking about buying replacment sports with eibach or H&R spings. Should swap right in no? Will there be a discernable improvement?

e39m_dream 05-15-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlinkletter (Post 1302608)
What is the difference between the standard and sport suspension on an E39 528i. Looking at upgrading and thinking about buying replacment sports with eibach or H&R spings. Should swap right in no? Will there be a discernable improvement?

Standard rides higher. Sport suspension rides lower and much more controlled while comfortable.

You should replace both the struts and the springs. Otherwise you will kill your soft struts with stiff springs quickly.

They should be able to swap right in.

Auto-links 05-15-2009 07:21 PM

so here's a question,
I have the 01 with the mpackage,

if the sport suspension rides lower than the regular e39, and I go with a lowering spring will that drop be applied to the regular e39 or will it lower on top of my already lower suspension???

tlinkletter 05-16-2009 04:43 PM

So it is just the shock and spring that is diff. I was thinkin the brackerty may have been diff as well. Good to know. Think I might buy a set of Sachs Sports and go with H&R lowering. Should be a pretty cheap upgrade.

daveyto 05-17-2009 09:35 PM

My car is the sport version and its a pretty stiff ride. It also has the LSD. The "M" tech package or whatever is called is merely a cosmetic package.

regards

richmak 05-20-2009 12:18 PM

not to mean to hjack the thread ... I ordered the Bilstein Sport shocks and Vogtland springs for my E39 wagon ... vendor shipped the wrong shocks for the rear.

I have now a brand new pair of rear Bilstein sports for sale. In brand new packaging. PM if interested.

The fronts are the same for both sedan and wagon and I have installed just the front shocks. My rear shocks are still stock with the Vogtland springs.

Paul540/m3 05-20-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyto (Post 1303622)
My car is the sport version and its a pretty stiff ride. It also has the LSD. The "M" tech package or whatever is called is merely a cosmetic package.

regards

Unless you have an M5 you do not have an LSD (assuming you did not swap it after)

daveyto 05-20-2009 03:24 PM

why is a LSD so important anyways?

regards

Paul540/m3 05-20-2009 03:58 PM

In normal driving conditions, you will most likely never notice any type of difference. With higher horsepower cars and increased wheelspin, the difference is much more noticeable. The once caveat would be in the snow, where there is increased wheelspin. In those conditions an LSD may be useful as well.

"The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some traction available on at least one of the wheels."

daveyto 05-20-2009 04:10 PM

ok. Well I just spoke to a tech at downtown BMW and they said that my car HAS a limited slip differential. There was another tech an in indie garage that said the same thing.

I will jack up the car as soon as I possibly can and check this out. Will get back to you. Thanks for the info.
Dave

tlinkletter 05-20-2009 10:07 PM

Almost would have taken you up on that richmak but I bought a pair of Monroe's believe it or not. Car was in the shop yesterday and it was all I could get local. Bent rod on the shock since I use it for work I couldn't afford the downtime :( Prob be broke in a couple months anyway so I'll get my chance for sports :)

speedemn 12-06-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyto (Post 1304643)
ok. Well I just spoke to a tech at downtown BMW and they said that my car HAS a limited slip differential. There was another tech an in indie garage that said the same thing.

I will jack up the car as soon as I possibly can and check this out. Will get back to you. Thanks for the info.
Dave

You have the same car as me... we don't have LSD... that is exclusive to the M cars unless someone did an aftermarket LSD swap (or M5 LSD swap) in to your 540.

Jack it up and spin one rear wheel... if the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction you have LSD (I think I have the test right here... )

DINAN 3 12-06-2009 08:44 AM

Another important difference.....

buy my 15mm rear sway bar to get rid of the wably rear end...

http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127788

tlinkletter 12-06-2009 11:44 AM

Just a note, you can get an LSD factory in a 540. It's a dealer option you could specify according to my dealer anyway.

///Mmm 12-06-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedemn (Post 1371975)

Jack it up and spin one rear wheel... if the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction you have LSD (I think I have the test right here... )

I think its the opposite, both wheels have to spin the same direction if you have an LSD.

Can someone confirm this plz!