maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   AC DIY in 540i? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120294)

daveyto 05-14-2009 10:41 AM

AC DIY in 540i?

Does anyone have a DIY for AC in a 540i? 2003

regards

T.Dot_E30 05-14-2009 10:43 AM

DIY for what with the a/c?

You want to fill it up yourself?
You want to change the a/c compressor? condenser? Evaporator?

daveyto 05-14-2009 10:48 AM

Fill it myself and diagnose it myself.

I am kind of a little chicken hearing horror stories about AC refrigerant but it may be just urban legends.

BTW... I found a fitting under the engine cover. IS that the one I fill?
And should the auxillary fan be turning when I switch the ac on?

regards,

David

myndgone 05-14-2009 10:54 AM

why are you doing this?..your AC not blowing cold air??

T.Dot_E30 05-14-2009 11:00 AM

I wouldn't recommend you try anything with your a/c.

There is a reason why, they have a special license/training to become and a/c technician.

2003 is a fairly new car, i wouldn't try messing with the system. The only stuff available to the public is that propane crap for r134a/r12 replacement.

Your car is still new, fill it properly with r134a, dont try that shit you seen at Part Source.

daveyto 05-14-2009 12:21 PM

Thats exactly the stuff I was going to use.

IS it really junk? Does it harm the system?

And no I do not have cold air this year for some reason...

MLue1 05-14-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyto (Post 1302391)
Thats exactly the stuff I was going to use.

IS it really junk? Does it harm the system?

And no I do not have cold air this year for some reason...

You can actually find R134A as well as the recharge kits at some of the Truck Centers along the Hwy 401 corridor.*th-up*

Davey, I have a R134A recharge kit (R134A canister and hose) that I bought as spare a couple of years ago when the exchange was high, if you want I'll let you have it for $40.

bimmerjoe 05-14-2009 11:45 PM

cmon man you drive a 540 not an e36 pay to get it repaired. its a conmplicated task that ac shit you dont wanna mess with it

daveyto 05-15-2009 10:55 AM

Bimmerjoe,

Whats wrong with an e36?

The point is to learn to do as much as I can by myself. If I am streching my skillset then please let me be the judge of that. I certainly know my limits.

Regards,

MLUE,

I may take you up on that offer, except I may have aleak...Can I use the partsource stuff to seal it before using your stuff?

Thanks,

Dave

T.Dot_E30 05-15-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyto (Post 1302813)
MLUE,

I may take you up on that offer, except I may have aleak...Can I use the partsource stuff to seal it before using your stuff?

Thanks,

Dave

Another thing about those little cans is that you will never get the exact amount of refridgerant in the system, each car calls for it's own amount to operate as it as designed.

On such a new your taking a risk with those stop leak sealers.....They can possibly clog up your system and cause even more expensive repairs. For example it can clog up your condensers or evaporator and those are expensive items to replace. (As with all Stop Leaks, they usually cause more problems than they are worth and usually only considered a quick fix)

If you really insist on doing it yourself, get the Dye....buy the glasses, find the leak, fix the leak yourself.

After the leak is fixed, i recommend getting it filled properly, because it is far better to Vacume the system before filling it. (you can't do this without the machine).

By just filling it with the stuff in the can, you can trap moisture in the system as well as air, which will cause it not to preform as well as it should.

Fix the leak yourself, but unless you have a machine to vacume and fill it properly, i suggest you get it filled properly by a shop.

Max_VQ 05-25-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyto (Post 1302340)
Does anyone have a DIY for AC in a 540i? 2003
regards

I don't have a DIY, but I can tell you how I fixed my AC..

Compressor clutch was not kicking in and aux fan was not spinning.

Low pressure port with compressor not running was ~80 psi. (pressure is very dependent on ambient temp) This told me my system does not have a leak, and the R-134a level is good.

On my car, 2001 530 (MS43) the DME tests the aux fan to make sure it spins. If it fails the test, it set a code (125) in the DME. This is not an OBD code, and a generic OBD reader will not see it. I used carsoft.

My Aux fan shorted out right at the fan motor, melted all the insulation on the wires, and popped Fuse 75 (50A).

Replace fan ($375), replaced 50A fuse ($3), and reset the DME error memory.
A/C is now working great.

daveyto 05-25-2009 04:46 PM

Hi Max,

Do you think I could speak to you offline about this?

I can give you my number.

Regards and thanks very much for the info.

David

zubbie 05-26-2009 02:54 PM

A/C is not rocket science, however it does require special tools and gauges to do it right, all of which your average home mechanic does not have.

For a modern R-134a fitted car I would not be adding Redtek to "top up" the charge. Take it to a shop and have them leak test it or do it yourself to check your system. Then have it evacuated and filled with the proper amount of 134a once you know everything works fine.

However if you have an older R-12 system then by all means use the Redtek stuff after evacuating the old R-12 (at a shop), and leak and vacuum testing it. Or better yet buy some R-12 on eBay (that's right you can still buy it there)