maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mom's E34 overheating (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120121)

Gamite 05-10-2009 07:33 PM

Mom's E34 overheating

I changed the thermostat, the fan clutch looks to be a little loose, but I touched the rad and it was still cold.

The car is sitting at an incline, is it possible that there's an air pocket somewhere and it's preventing the coolant from moving into the rad?

ImolaZHP 05-10-2009 07:46 PM

did the temp gauge shoot up really quickly? if so, probably an air pocket like you said. try bleeding the system and go from there

344i 05-10-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite (Post 1300509)
I changed the thermostat, the fan clutch looks to be a little loose, but I touched the rad and it was still cold.

The car is sitting at an incline, is it possible that there's an air pocket somewhere and it's preventing the coolant from moving into the rad?

not likely, what is the coolant level like Jullian? Did you turn on the heat full blast?

I would open the rad, turn on car let it idle and warm, see how much coolant is in the rad cold and how much gets sucked up, turn the heat on full blast and see how much gets sucked up. Most likely youre just low on coolant, and need to add some. if the rad's level is low when cold and empty when the engine takes in coolant, youre definately low and need to add.

Gamite 05-10-2009 08:03 PM

the reservoir on the M30 is not on the rad, so you cannot see how much coolant is in the rad. I turned the heating on, and no hot air came out.

I turned the car around, now the nose is pointing down. I suspect a large air pocket, but the bleeder valve is broken so I cannot bleed.

I filled up the reservoir and its still full right now.

BigD 05-10-2009 08:36 PM

How old is the fan clutch? Don't try any BS tests with it, if it's not like a few years old, change it. And what do you mean by the fan clutch being "loose"? If you mean the shaft, if it has more than 1mm play your waterpump is dead/dying.

If it's not the fan clutch then it could be a toast HG. Check the dipstick for white froth, and the coolant reservoir for bubbling - it looks like this:

BigD 05-10-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite (Post 1300515)
but the bleeder valve is broken so I cannot bleed.

Fix it... get a new t-stat cover if you can't.

Gamite 05-10-2009 08:57 PM

Fan clutch was not fully engaged, but it works with heat, since the rad was not hot, it did not force it to fully engage, which is why I doubt it is the fan clutch.

Tube going down from the T-Stat housing leading to the rad was not hot either. I suspect air in the housing. I'm rummaging through my spare parts to see if I have an extra cover.

BigD 05-10-2009 10:22 PM

The tube going down is the return. Is the top rad hose hot?

$500bimmer 05-10-2009 10:28 PM

did you put the stat in backwards?....i have seen it happen....

Eurostyle 05-10-2009 10:36 PM

Air in the system, for sure! Let it cool off for a bit, level should go down, so add more coolant, repeat several times...its another way of bleeding the system...

Gamite 05-10-2009 11:42 PM

Fil, do you have an extra cover if I don't have one?

Gamite 05-10-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1300548)
The tube going down is the return. Is the top rad hose hot?

top rad hose is hot, bottom one is cold

344i 05-11-2009 12:06 AM

thats messed up, air pocket or clog in the rad, it should be circulating!

T.Dot_E30 05-11-2009 09:45 AM

My vote goes for bleeding the system, it could take hours sometimes.
If you can borrow a pressure bleeder, since your bleeder vavle is broken.

After you ruled out air in the system, my next guess goes to the water pump, check to make sure it is circulating, before assuming it is the HG.

Gamite 05-11-2009 12:24 PM

once I find the part. I will see.