maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   can I use the stock speaker wiring? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119972)

kruler 05-07-2009 09:41 AM

can I use the stock speaker wiring?

I'm about to install a system in my car consisting of the following:

front: MB Quart RCE 213 components
rear: BSW adapters w/ DLS 6x9s
Kicker ZX750.4 4 ch amp (125x4 RMS)

What I'd like to know is can I use the factory wires going from the stock amp to the speakers, or is the gauge too small for the upgraded wattage?

Randy 05-15-2009 03:50 AM

I dont "know" per say. But I too am installing a set of amplified components, and I'll be running all new wiring. with all the $$ I've put into this beast, I don't want the thickness/purity of the speaker wire to be its downfall.

eta Epsilon 05-15-2009 06:57 AM

+1 on that.
It will take you 1 or 2 hours to do so and the wires are not expensive.
It's worth it!

spooling 05-16-2009 05:46 PM

+2 run new thicker gauge wires

Randy 05-28-2009 09:42 AM

wait, halt.. im rethinking this. I've heard recently that signal cable (ie. speaker wire) doesn't require the 18 AWG wire that we usually use to upgrade it... apparently its all overkill. The car's original wiring diagrams are available off of forums, and can be tapped into and utilized to run after market equipment - several people have done this, and claim there is no sound loss/electrical issues. this type of jig would be cleaner, easier .. smarter?

talk to me.

Blades 05-28-2009 11:28 AM

best way to find out .. run the speakers loud and if the wire started to get hot .. change it .. otherwise your fine. A better wire may improve sound quality as well.

kruler 06-14-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 1307582)
wait, halt.. im rethinking this. I've heard recently that signal cable (ie. speaker wire) doesn't require the 18 AWG wire that we usually use to upgrade it... apparently its all overkill. The car's original wiring diagrams are available off of forums, and can be tapped into and utilized to run after market equipment - several people have done this, and claim there is no sound loss/electrical issues. this type of jig would be cleaner, easier .. smarter?

talk to me.

I just installed the speakers and used the factory wiring. BMW used 16AWG for the woofers and 14AWG for the mids and tweets. This is more than sufficient. The wire is also much better quality than anything you would buy in the aftermarket. Its also nice to have all the wires colour coded for reference.

doogee 10-08-2009 04:51 AM

Hows it sound?

InfiniteDice 10-08-2009 09:03 AM

Using stock wiring can be done, but they are getting so old, when I did that back in 2001 I had to use a ground loop isolator to get rid of the rpm whine, and you lose resolution doing that.

I'd go with laying new wires and cutting out as much of that crap as possible, including that dumb left right balancer in the dash.

Randy 10-31-2009 05:14 AM

stock wire works well

I did mine (E46) this past summer, and never posted my results - so here it is:

Used stock wiring with amplified components in each door. and the sound is amazing. i won't claim to be an audiophile, but I have a decent ear, and to me, the sound is brilliant.

even my gf noticed how clear and realistic it all sounded ... and she doesn't usually notice anything (related to the car).

I did have some RPM whine, but to correct that I simply rerouted the RCA cable from the deck so it avoided the (+) lead from the battery to the engine (along right side flood panel of the car).

Conclusions: stock wiring is fine (and colour coded in a logical way), I have a (corrected) .jpeg for the wire colour codes used in my car.

es175 11-01-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 1361494)

I did have some RPM whine, but to correct that I simply rerouted the RCA cable from the deck so it avoided the (+) lead from the battery to the engine (along right side flood panel of the car).

So are you saying that you avoided the (+) power lead by running the RCA cable along the right side? Or does the (+) power lead run along the right side?

tg07lq 11-10-2009 08:16 PM

ill be using my stock wiring to do mine, wheneveri get around to it lol. hoping this will be sufficient.
ill post up results

Randy 11-13-2009 04:33 AM

the battery lead runs along the right side of my car (the battery is in the right side of the trunk as well). I ran my rca cables along the left side of the car (driver's side).

es175 11-13-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 1365311)
the battery lead runs along the right side of my car (the battery is in the right side of the trunk as well). I ran my rca cables along the left side of the car (driver's side).

Thanks for the reply.

How did you get the RCA cables pass the piece of plastic trim where the trunk and hood release is located?

tg07lq 11-13-2009 02:21 PM

that piece will come off. do you ahve a bently manual ? its pretty simple run in these cars. pull it all off, fish it through and voila your done! even has grommets to pass through to the trunk haha