maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing & Care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   New paint care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119129)

bmwm5lover 04-20-2009 11:36 AM

New paint care
 
Ok, I would like to hear some input on this topic, since I just had my car resprayed, and would like to avoid destroying the paint for as long as possible.

If Ive understood correctly, I am to avoid properly washing the car for about 1-2 weeks, so I've taken to just power washing it to get the dirt and dust(from the underground garage) off.

It is my understanding that to avoid swirl marks(well, keep them to a minimum, anyway), when washing the car, to use 2 buckets, a soft sponge, and to go in up and down motion, on all flat surfaces such as the trunk, hood, and roof, and in an up and down motion on all side surfaces, such as doors and fenders, essentially avoiding circular motions.
Avoid brushes of kinds, drive through washes, etc.
Correct?

I am planning on giving a good buff with Zymol once I am past the 2 week period.
Anything else I should know or do???

T.Dot_E30 04-20-2009 12:03 PM

Terry! Power washing is worst for the paint than a regular hand wash. I definitely hope you didn't already do it!

Yes a good wax is good for protecting the paint, also say bye to car washes. Always hand wash your car using the 2 bucket method.

Also look into getting clear bra installed if you want to avoid those stone chips on the 404.

Edit: Congrats on the paint job, pm me when your downtown, ill check it out.

bmwm5lover 04-20-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1291193)
Terry! Power washing is worst for the paint than a regular hand wash. I definitely hope you didn't already do it!

Yes a good wax is good for protecting the paint, also say bye to car washes. Always hand wash your car using the 2 bucket method.

Also look into getting clear bra installed if you want to avoid those stone chips on the 404.

Edit: Congrats on the paint job, pm me when your downtown, ill check it out.

Oops, did it once already, just to get the dust off, why would it be bad? Does it embed things into the paint?

I am considering the clear bra, might be a ~150 well spent.

I am rarely in the downtown core now, but if I am I'll let you know.

I saw you driving up the 404, I was in my g/f V70 R, I honked and waived, not sure if you saw me, i was right next to ya, but you were goign WAY to slow for me to hang around lOl

T.Dot_E30 04-20-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1291203)
I saw you driving up the 404, I was in my g/f V70 R, I honked and waived, not sure if you saw me, i was right next to ya, but you were goign WAY to slow for me to hang around lOl

Yup I saw you!, Waved back, but i think you sped off by then, lol.

The reason for the 2 week waiting period is for the paint to fully cure, power washing it puts alot of pressure against the paint which probaby did more damage than any soap would have done.

Not a big deal, it's more of a safety, just encase type of warning period. Wash it normally and after a few weeks give it a good wax'ing to protect the paint. Buy new pads, n be careful when doing it.

Oh and take some pics!

bmwm5lover 04-20-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will do a proper photshoot in the next little while.

spoony_prelude 04-20-2009 07:35 PM

good post Terry, My car was painted on friday, I should be getting the car back sometime this week. Then putting it all back together, and off to RMP for them to give it a spring lookover, make sure everything is ready to go!

Jay

bmwm5lover 04-27-2009 10:46 AM

Ok, so gonna be washing the car today. It has been over a week since the respray and the car is mother****ign filthy.
Products:
-BMW Car Shampoo
-2 sponges- 1 for lower part of the car - one above the door trim.
-2 Buckets with soapy water
-Microfibre cloths for drying
*Meguirs QUICK WAX* SHOULD I BE USING* this or should i wait a little longer??? I will be waiting at least another week before the actual buff.
-ArmorAll Rim Cleaner


Hopefully I will not cause any premature damage, perhaps I will take pictures.

Gamite 04-27-2009 10:53 AM

Most people wait about a month for the paint to fully cure. Try to avoid waxing as long as possible.

I would wait until after this week, since it's a really warm week, just to make sure.

bmwm5lover 04-27-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite (Post 1294759)
Most people wait about a month for the paint to fully cure. Try to avoid waxing as long as possible.

I would wait until after this week, since it's a really warm week, just to make sure.

Ok, I will just wash and dry it then. Won't even use the quick wax spray on stuff to be safe.

Gamite 04-27-2009 11:41 AM

Remember to use all new sponges and drying towels. Its the actual contact of your car that creates the swirls in the paint

theblue 04-27-2009 04:44 PM

you sound very intent on having something touch this curing paint.

don't touch the paint... no washing, no waxing, nothing at all.. in a perfect world don't drive it either.

about a month is plenty of time to cure really...

ImolaZHP 04-27-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1294755)
Ok, so gonna be washing the car today. It has been over a week since the respray and the car is mother****ign filthy.
Products:
-BMW Car Shampoo
-2 sponges- 1 for lower part of the car - one above the door trim.
-2 Buckets with soapy water
-Microfibre cloths for drying
*Meguirs QUICK WAX* SHOULD I BE USING* this or should i wait a little longer??? I will be waiting at least another week before the actual buff.
-ArmorAll Rim Cleaner


Hopefully I will not cause any premature damage, perhaps I will take pictures.

For the 2-bucket method,
only 1 bucket is for soapy water, the other is just plain water for rinsing out the wash media.

Ceeker 04-27-2009 09:20 PM

you can pressure wash it but should stay a good few feet away from the surface- note:( must have experience) Today's paints are pretty much cured right from the heat booth with the hardeners and chems they use. Check the body shop just to make sure. But to be on the safe side. Avoid any washing that requires touching the surface. at this point, a good coat of high quality wax is good enough. There are professional products out there you can get. The one I used which I used to charge was Permaplate paint protection. Sealer and paint renewer application. The kit comes with a wash concentrate which strips any wax or coating on the paint. Sealer goes down to lock in to bind polymers to paint. Then the renewer is applied each time like a wax after each wash. When I did the application at bmw I was charging 300.00 privately. This is typically sold with new cars as a perk, like floor mats and the price is around 700.00.
You put this on and then on top apply a nice polish and or wax and the car looks like glass.. I would do this right after polishing a car for customers...better then showroom finish... You can find product perhaps compatible with permaplate. I don't believe it is sold to the public over the counter. Things might have changed since. if you get a dealership to apply it for a used car they even give you a 3 year warranty as long as you adhere to the application. But you'll have to pay the premium. I believe most dealers carry the product just with different packaging.

good luck.

Bullet Ride 04-27-2009 09:39 PM

Depends on the paint manufacturer, but if you were to contact them you'd probably get an answer somewhere between 30-60 days... some even say 90 but that's probably overkill just to make sure their asses are covered because unless it's a trailer queen/weekender I'd want some wax/sealant on much sooner than 90 days.

bmwm5lover 04-28-2009 02:38 PM

So I washed it, as per the methods.
PAINT IS STILL ON! Yay! HAHA Don't think I created (any) swirls.

What I was upset about, was seeing the ding on my door with two tiny chips(thanks assholess out there), and a few stone chips on the front.

Now I am really considering getting the film applied before it gets worse.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.