maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pads - front vs rear, diff compound? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117822)

BigD 03-23-2009 02:25 PM

Pads - front vs rear, diff compound?

I'm shopping around for Hawk HT10 pads and this one shop I called was pretty shocked to hear that I am putting them in the rear too, saying it's normally too aggressive for a rear pad.

Is there anything to this? Should I get a tamer compound like HP+ or something for the rears? I certainly wouldn't mind because they're expensive as hell in HT10.

FWIW this is a track-only car.

theblue 03-23-2009 03:13 PM

I ran HT-10s on the front and HP+ on the rear of my lancer evolution w/ race tires and it worked pretty well.

it all depends on your needs really... you might have trouble keeping the HT10s up to temp on the back of your car which will cause them to crumble causing a dangerous situation.

Gleb 03-25-2009 03:06 PM

10 Front / + Rear... worked well for me. But I started with +'s all around, then 10/+ and at the end I had 10/10 - NO PROBLEMS!
Whatever combo you choose - you'll like these pads.

BigD 03-25-2009 03:28 PM

Thanks, yeah I've talked to a bunch of guys about this now and the consensus seems to be to just go with HT10 and if for some odd reason I have issues then change, but I'll probably be happy with it.

Where do you get your HT10s? I'm trying to shop around but the Canadian suppliers rip you a new asshole. The cheapest I've found, after tax, for rx7 front and e30 rear is 473. From tire rack, including shipping and currency conversion, it's 380.

Gleb 03-25-2009 03:35 PM

416-514-0284 Precision Tuning.
But it was a long time ago since I bought anything in Canada. I do most of my car shopping in the US, when I travel with the Grand-Am guys.

BigD 03-25-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gleb (Post 1279206)
416-514-0284 Precision Tuning.
But it was a long time ago since I bought anything in Canada. I do most of my car shopping in the US, when I travel with the Grand-Am guys.

He says he can't get them "now". Wtf

theblue 03-25-2009 05:34 PM

HT-10 are a problematic pad, honestly I won't buy them again.

I found that blues were plenty for track day use in my case.

why not go with Hawk blues, blacks, or dtc-60, dtc-70 depending on your exact needs.

BigD 03-25-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblue (Post 1279259)
HT-10 are a problematic pad, honestly I won't buy them again.

I found that blues were plenty for track day use in my case.

why not go with Hawk blues, blacks, or dtc-60, dtc-70 depending on your exact needs.

I'll give them a shot, I can't wait to try them. I'd get DTC but they're not available for my application.

328trackrat 03-26-2009 04:20 PM

Big D you should be fine since I believe you have S50 swap e30...Cars with stock power can have a hard time heating up a ht-10 on a rear like others have mentioned. With your power you shouldn't have much of a hard time doing so. I ran HP+ all around and with stock 328 power I wasn't anywhere near the limits of my brakes.

Gleb 03-26-2009 09:19 PM

I don't know where you guys get these "problems" with 10's. I used them with great results with the stock M20... maybe you are just not braking hard enough ;)
I had this conversation with James Clay of Bimmerworld, when I ordered my first set of 10's. I asked him the same question... his reply : "Bullshit."
D, get the 10's, you will love them. Depending on how many track days you do, they should last a season. Just don't waste them on street driving. Should be cheaper too, in the long run.
I have a bunch of old Carbotech pads if you want them (free), not a lot left on them, but should be enough for a track day. Let me know if you want them, cause I have no idea where they are and it will take me sometime to find 'em.

BigD 03-26-2009 10:55 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah I wouldn't be considering these if this was a daily with part time track status. This car stays in the garage until it's time to get raped. I did a testing day at Dunnville in the car last year and it was scary with street pads. The brakes went away after just a few laps and I wasn't even driving it hard, just hoping that the car doesn't break. But I got up over 100mph on the front straight thanks to the S52. My pedal stayed hard but I found myself almost twofooting it by the end. When I went to put in the RX7 brakes I pulled my pads and they were falling apart like charcoal.

theblue 03-27-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gleb (Post 1279887)
I don't know where you guys get these "problems" with 10's. I used them with great results with the stock M20... maybe you are just not braking hard enough ;)

mine started to crumble after two days at the glen.. I did drive home on them and then changed them out. When I contacted Hawk, they told me there is not warranty on track pads and blamed me for driving home on them.

I'm willing to take some of the blame, but I've never had this problem with the blues and other pads. Money down the drain :(

DriveItSideways 04-21-2009 05:12 PM

HP+ is a great pad, we run them F/R on our sentra spec v race cars and they perform 10/10.

Anything above the HP+ should be used on real power house cars.

JazzM 04-21-2009 08:09 PM

Performance Friction http://www.performancefriction.com/ makes much better racing pads then Hawke.

Do some research.

T.

theblue 04-22-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriveItSideways (Post 1292101)
HP+ is a great pad, we run them F/R on our sentra spec v race cars and they perform 10/10.

Anything above the HP+ should be used on real power house cars.

the spec-V is a pretty lightweight car... once you get over 3000lbs. and you're using track tires HP+ is not enough regardless of power.