maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How reliable is E46? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116952)

weedb0y 03-04-2009 10:02 AM

How reliable is E46?

Hi,

I am coming directly to the source for their honest opinion in regards to E46's. I am currently driving an Integra and want to shed the ricer image. ;)

The current choices for the upgrade are

1) Infiniti G35 (Sedan)
2) Cadillac CTS
3) BMW 3 Series E46

I've been getting mixed input in the reliablity of BMW, specially, since I'm used to the Integra not messing up alot. (I have spent money on rad, cooling etc).

Would you recommened going for BMW vs G35? I am told G35's are more reliable and give less problems, are repairs really that expensive on the BMWs?

topaz330ci 03-04-2009 10:13 AM

I own a 2002 330ci and i love the car a lot! reliability wise i think it is great, like it would never break down on you on the side of the highway, BUT they do have a shit load of annoying issues to deal with which could cost you a lot of money! I probably wouldnt buy an e46 sedan but I would buy the coupe. The infiniti is a really nice car with less problems in my opinion, but i wouldn't buy the sedan once again, only the coupe!

if you have good car knowledge, and you find a well owned e46, id say go for it just because im a BMW fan. But be prepared to invest money into little things here and there. Nothing major though.

weedb0y 03-04-2009 11:12 AM

I am looking to move from 5 speed as well, is the automatic transmission reliable on the e46s?

Lol, would love to go for coupe, if the price is right. No preference at the moment.

europrince 03-04-2009 11:31 AM

All three of your choices are fine sport sedans. The other two will be easier on the wallet on an ongoing basis.

dbworld4k 03-04-2009 12:23 PM

^What he said.

The E46 isn't unreliable per se, but maintenance might cost you slightly more than the other two. Honestly, it's not that big a deal. I'd recommend you drive all three and go from there. I personally wouldn't recommend the GM Caddi. Although the G35 will outperform the E46, I just cannot get used to it's looks and horrible interior. Avoid the 1999-2000 production E36 if you can. Stick with 01+

dtthiaga 03-04-2009 01:22 PM

There are a lot of common issues with the E46.
However, most people experience them when you buy the car brand new, and have it fixed under warranty.

So, if you are buying a used E46, most of the issues would already be fixed by first owner. This is why a lot of people say the E46 is reliable.

I probably had about 5K-7K of Warranty work. It's been perfect for the last two years.
The car never let me down though. Always drove it in.

Common Issues for Used Car
- Vanos (Valve train. They start going after 80K )
- Front End (Ball Joints/Control Arms).
- Window Regulators.

Apart from that, it's pretty good.
Stay away from the Automatic Transmission

Stick with 2002+ models.

The G35 is not as good as you think. There are quite a few suspension issues.
Engine is Solid though.

If you are concerned about reliability, consider a 2006 Acura TL, 6spd Manual.
It's a pretty fast, handles very well, and is beautiful inside.
I have one too (Still have my first Integra), and I love driving it.
Don't listen everyone that says it's FWD. You can hardly tell. It's a great car!
Acura did an amazing job with it.

europrince 03-04-2009 01:48 PM

^ Yea, the TL is a great everyday sport sedan, especially in the Type S.

damameke 03-04-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedb0y (Post 1269935)
Hi,

I've been getting mixed input in the reliablity of BMW, specially, since I'm used to the Integra not messing up alot. (I have spent money on rad, cooling etc).

Would you recommened going for BMW vs G35? I am told G35's are more reliable and give less problems, are repairs really that expensive on the BMWs?

You will still get mixed input from here, for every car is driven differently, maintain differently, some more so than others.

Some will say, stay away from automatic, my is an auto and have no issue with it.

Towards the end, buy what suits you; service and repair cost is parts and parcels of owning a car. Maintain it well and the "surprise" repair cost wil be lower.

lvan 03-04-2009 02:33 PM

You will be able to tell easy if the car was looked after. That is if you buy without warranty. You can also pull the sheet from the dealer just to see if it was a problematic car. Good luck.

whoami 03-04-2009 03:10 PM

once you go bmw you dont go back....

weedb0y 03-04-2009 03:30 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. I am curious about the TL again, although it was bit soft in handling from what I've heard.

I could be wrong though.

europrince 03-04-2009 03:38 PM

^ test drive it :)

dtthiaga 03-04-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedb0y (Post 1270096)
Thanks for the insight guys. I am curious about the TL again, although it was bit soft in handling from what I've heard.

I could be wrong though.

Test drive the Vehicle. Most people confuse the 99-03 Cars to the 04-08 Cars in terms of handling, power etc.

The 04-08 Cars are beautiful to drive, handle good, and have lots of power. The 6spd manual is very good in this car. It feels solid and great in your hands. The automatic is not bad too.

If you are doing an E46, go for the 330.

BSL 03-04-2009 06:46 PM

I would avoid the automatics.
Search e46fanatics.
'02+ 330's seem to be going for good prices.... G35's too, have taken a downturn in pricing.
I recently saw a georgous 330i on e46toronto.
It was a real shame, I dont think anyone would spring for the 12G's he wanted, and the dealer got it.

BSL 03-04-2009 06:54 PM

http://http://www.e46toronto.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12556
Here ia a link to the one I mentioned above.
There are some good deals right now.