maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Got a notice of trial - how to dispute? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113968)

vadim321go 12-06-2008 04:25 PM

Got a notice of trial - how to dispute?

So i got a speeding ticket in the summer, now i have a trial in a few days. I want to postpone it since i cant have that day off work. How easy/hard is this to do? Any suggestions? The fine is not big only 40$ and no point. Please dont telll me to just pay it, since by paying it i automatically admit guilt and my insurance goes up.

Does any1 know a person/place that does this for a fee? xcoppers or something

ericdalinda 12-06-2008 05:09 PM

how can a moving violation only be 40 dollars??

vadim321go 12-06-2008 05:17 PM

it was reduced from a larger fine to 10 over with a 40$ fee

craigIS 12-06-2008 05:44 PM

you will probably have to go to court anyway to talk to the judge....to get it moved. and thats if they will move your date.

thats the best i can come up with

hypno_nls1 12-06-2008 05:47 PM

my uncle got his postponed 3 times and eventually they just dropped it i dont know how they actually just beleived him everytime but instead of him going in my mom would go in for him and say he is unable to come to the court due to some bullshit

vadim321go 12-06-2008 06:13 PM

hypno did she do it on the day of or before? is there something she has to fill out? i need more info

TopSpeed 12-06-2008 07:25 PM

The way I did it before: I 'missed' the trial date. Went there as soon as I got the notice to pay fine which showed up a few weeks after the trial as by not showing up in court you are automatically charged even if the police officer doesn't show. Anyway, I had a reason, went to see the JP (Justice of the Peace) and they gave me another date in court with a promise from me to show up. I went for the second court date and won the case.

coolhand 12-07-2008 12:24 AM

The justice of the peace will see that the charge was reduced so you dont have much luck unless the cop doesnt show up. Try postpoing it for as long as u can and maybe the cops will end up not showing up and if he does then say that its beyond the statue of limitations. Not sure how long it is tho for traffic violations.

Spoose 12-07-2008 12:38 AM

the way i used to do it was, send someone else to the court house on the day of your trial, they tell the prosecutor that you had an important business meeting to attend so you need an adjournment to another day. if the prosecutor is a dick, he will let the judge determine whether you get the adjournment, if he's nice he will set another date for trial.

coolhand 12-07-2008 01:13 AM

Oh yea this works to, just don't go and when u get notice of convition contact the court house and tell them u never got ur notice for trial all u got was conviction and then they re open it. Just another delay tactic.

Dr. Flyview 12-07-2008 01:12 PM

I tried to delay mine but I didn't do it in time, the guy was saying I need to give them 3 business days. Just come with a good reason and do it 3 days before, I think you'll get it.

SamE30e 12-07-2008 04:02 PM

If it was already reduced don't even bother. They can un reduce it in court.

gnome 02-18-2009 10:49 PM

meet the prosecutor?

I chose to option 4 to meet with the prosecutor last week. Has anyone here done this before?
What a waste of time - had to be there early on a work day and wait for them to call my name. I went into a small room and the prosecutor had a checklist in front of her with all the names and pre-decided bargains.
Before I said anything I was offered a bargain to reduce the charge - I was hoping to explain my situation first ... then negotiate. This is not the case, they simply tell you up front "ok here is the deal, take it or leave it". I chose "no deal", and decided to go to court - without having a chance to explain my situation this came across as one-sided approach.

Looking for feedback and advice. :(

AceOfSpades 02-19-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 1264570)
I chose to option 4 to meet with the prosecutor last week. Has anyone here done this before?
What a waste of time - had to be there early on a work day and wait for them to call my name. I went into a small room and the prosecutor had a checklist in front of her with all the names and pre-decided bargains.
Before I said anything I was offered a bargain to reduce the charge - I was hoping to explain my situation first ... then negotiate. This is not the case, they simply tell you up front "ok here is the deal, take it or leave it". I chose "no deal", and decided to go to court - without having a chance to explain my situation this came across as one-sided approach.

Looking for feedback and advice. :(

yes same experiance here! its just a bunch of bullshit. plus the prosecutor had ugly teeth!

slemmer 02-19-2009 09:25 AM

Sounds like a tactic to push as many convictions through without listening to the bs.