maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   heres pics of what i have (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113149)

new2bmw 11-15-2008 03:08 PM

heres pics of what i have
 
this was given to me, i think its a good start to my m10 318i turbo build. anyone have any clues as to what i was given? i am still learning about forced induction lol.
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...bo%20manifold/

Zorin 11-15-2008 03:12 PM

rebuild the engine before you even think about the turbo.
if you want i can trade you 2.7l m20 eta engine for the m10 - i will include auto transmission.

NOTORIOUS VR 11-15-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorin (Post 1226612)
rebuild the engine before you even think about the turbo.

why bother if the engine is healthy and has been taken care of?

Zorin 11-15-2008 03:23 PM

do you think that engine from 1984 is healthy enough to be turbo and last ?
turbo will provide huge stress for an engine that was probably gently driven through its life until now. I would invest time and money into something that makes the original m10 shine without much abuse - like the internals before going turbo.

NOTORIOUS VR 11-15-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorin (Post 1226620)
do you think that engine from 1984 is healthy enough to be turbo and last ?
turbo will provide huge stress for an engine that was probably gently driven through its life until now. I would invest time and money into something that makes the original m10 shine without much abuse - like the internals before going turbo.

Yes I do think that... if it's been taken care of why wouldn't it be?

If the motor currently has running problems N/A then obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to rebuild or swap it.

But seeing as I've personally seen and turbo'd enough old engines with high KM and they run just fine and last I don't see where the problem is.

If the OP is only wanting a new pounds of boost, why bother with internals... There is no need to invest that kind of money into a motor when the stock parts will work just fine.

Zorin 11-15-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1226665)
Yes I do think that... if it's been taken care of why wouldn't it be?

If the motor currently has running problems N/A then obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to rebuild or swap it.

But seeing as I've personally seen and turbo'd enough old engines with high KM and they run just fine and last I don't see where the problem is.

If the OP is only wanting a new pounds of boost, why bother with internals... There is no need to invest that kind of money into a motor when the stock parts will work just fine.

I agree, but we assume that the engine was taken care of - not many people care about cars as we do.
Also, rebuilding the internals or even "cleaning" the engine would possibly yield the same results as running a turbo on a "dirty" engine.
It was a common practice in 1970/80s to pull out an engine and clean the internals every 100000kms.

Also, old knowledge says that if engine was "conservatively" driven for 20 years, 1 year of "spirited" driving might kill it. I have seen this happen when kids get their cars from their parents.

Again, no to argue, but spending money to do turbo on a 24 year old engine with unknown past would not be my choice. It would be more wisely spend trying to bring it to original specs.

PedroBMW 11-17-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorin (Post 1226666)
I agree, but we assume that the engine was taken care of - not many people care about cars as we do.
Also, rebuilding the internals or even "cleaning" the engine would possibly yield the same results as running a turbo on a "dirty" engine.
It was a common practice in 1970/80s to pull out an engine and clean the internals every 100000kms.

Also, old knowledge says that if engine was "conservatively" driven for 20 years, 1 year of "spirited" driving might kill it. I have seen this happen when kids get their cars from their parents.

Again, no to argue, but spending money to do turbo on a 24 year old engine with unknown past would not be my choice. It would be more wisely spend trying to bring it to original specs.

I disagree with pretty much everything in your last post. M10s are a dime a dozen, there is no reason to spend money on building such a boring motor, if I was the original poster I would continue on the path and boost the stock m10, if he decidedes he needs more power than swap that puppy out of there for something with much more potential.

If someone has a rebuilt NA m10 that is making more power than a decent conditioned turboed m10, than they epic failed miserably. An m10 at original specs is incredibly boring imo and rebuilding one is an obsurd waste of money for anyone looking for any performance (unless the idea is for an original restoration, which I still don't understand but to each his own).

Original poster, boost and go! worst case scenario, if you get over zealous and the m10 bites the dust, replace it for $1.50 and keep goin again : )

Zorin 11-17-2008 06:42 AM

M10 has potential and it is not a boring motor.
You can see that by looking up its history and different modifications done over the years.
As to $1.50 for M10 - try finding good m10 in a decent shape - let me know where and I will take two. Also they are not that cheap since they are looked after by 2002 crowd.
Again, everybody has a different opinion.

PedroBMW 11-17-2008 08:47 PM

my buddy got a clean and running 318i w/ m10 for free recently, and this is the second I recall for under $200 without ever looking. My other buddy got himself an m42 (thats the 16 valve one from the e36s right) for $100 recently as well and thats a much more capable motor. I totally agree that different motors make cool different projects, but from a strictly $$/hp standpoint, the m10 would be very low on my list, meaning it would take alot of $$ for moderate horsepower. I would love to hear about a budget m10 ($5000 or less) that can make 250hp

Zorin 11-17-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroBMW (Post 1227719)
my buddy got a clean and running 318i w/ m10 for free recently, and this is the second I recall for under $200 without ever looking. My other buddy got himself an m42 (thats the 16 valve one from the e36s right) for $100 recently as well and thats a much more capable motor. I totally agree that different motors make cool different projects, but from a strictly $$/hp standpoint, the m10 would be very low on my list, meaning it would take alot of $$ for moderate horsepower. I would love to hear about a budget m10 ($5000 or less) that can make 250hp

all i have to say is - let me know when another free m10 comes your way *th-up*

new2bmw 11-18-2008 12:12 AM

heres what i found stamped on the turbo's
 
TURBO 1
IHI turbo
Turbo Spec-VJ11 9101
Serial Number RHB5 25076 A
Parts Number-F220 B

and stamped in a different spot is
R3
6A
52E
12-R
3

TURBO 2
IHI Turbo
Turbo Spec-VF 28603
Serial Number-RHB5 17125 A
Parts Number 14412AA002

and stamped in a different spot is
3
K
0K
52K
20R5

I hope this will give someone enough info to tell me exactly what i have here.
thanks guys
Larry

new2bmw 11-19-2008 08:33 PM

turbo
 
i did a little research and found that the ihi VJ11 is obviously not very powerful but spools quickly, its out of a mx6 or probe and is in the 140kW range, the other is an ihi VF28 and is larger makes somewhere in the low 200kW range and is used in a lot of WRX rallying. anybody know anything else?

DEZIAC 11-25-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroBMW (Post 1227719)
my buddy got a clean and running 318i w/ m10 for free recently, and this is the second I recall for under $200 without ever looking. My other buddy got himself an m42 (thats the 16 valve one from the e36s right) for $100 recently as well and thats a much more capable motor. I totally agree that different motors make cool different projects, but from a strictly $$/hp standpoint, the m10 would be very low on my list, meaning it would take alot of $$ for moderate horsepower. I would love to hear about a budget m10 ($5000 or less) that can make 250hp

There's a guy on another forum, well a few guys making that kind of power for way under $5000. I'll msg him and ask him how much his build bost was.

Here's a link to his cardomain page.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/785257/8

DEZIAC 11-25-2008 08:41 PM

So i just got word that his total build is under $2k.

Heres a few more links:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=turbo+update

http://sites.google.com/a/e21legion.net/jrcook320/

JdmEuroNorth 03-05-2009 12:09 PM

anyknow know where to get a good, decently priced M10 complete rebuild kit? (seals, gaskets, bolts, pistons, connecting rods, etc.. etc.. etc.. etc...)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.