maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Any advice for a newbie changing the fuel line? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107576)

RobY330i 07-03-2008 11:07 PM

Any advice for a newbie changing the fuel line?

Got an 87 325e and the fuel line near the fuel filter is leaking bad.

I guess I need to replace the lines around it. Any advice such as what size fuel line do I need? etc.

Thanks in advance.

ecuconnection 07-04-2008 12:03 AM

I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!

RobY330i 07-04-2008 08:18 AM

Thanks!

Philboski 07-04-2008 09:35 AM

Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.

DANIMAL 07-04-2008 10:01 AM

From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, the fuel pump in the E30 uses a gravity fed system. Just be sure not to park on a slope with the rear of the car facing upwards. And if you do don't smoke.

carjoe 07-04-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearsBmr (Post 1172868)
I had the same problem and just cut out the bad spot with a saws all and placed a rubber hose and two small hose clamps and it's been holding for a year now ... pull the fuel pump fuse or relay while the car is runing and let it stall out too relieve the presure befor you attack the line and wear safety goggles ... OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

my e36 has bad lines where the fuel filter is and now my damn brake line is leaking.... GRRRRRRR!

Would you need to flare the line before?

ecuconnection 07-04-2008 10:20 AM

when this happend to me I broke a hose clamp and I drove too CT with the line purely hand fited with no clamp and it didnt even drip or leak I was amazed... I knew at that point a rubber hose could easly hold 50 psi and the clamp was just insurance...goodluck!

ecuconnection 07-04-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carjoe (Post 1172985)
Would you need to flare the line before?

Mine are not flared, but it would not hurt that's for sure... if you have any doubts use 2 clamps for each end

chromius 07-04-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearsBmr (Post 1172868)
OH and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready..goodluck!

Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around*thmbsdwn**shiner*

Quote:

Also, make sure the rubber line you get is for fuel injected applications.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I think there is a preferred type of hose clamp for this type of work.
Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

The hose clamps don't have to be anything special though, any will work.

BigD 07-04-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1173091)
Correct. Make sure the hose is 100+PSI rated fuel injection hose. The stuff they sell at Canadian tire is NOT appropriate, as it only has a 50psi rating if I remember correctly.

Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.

chromius 07-04-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1173105)
Why would you need 100+PSI hose? The BMW systems only run 50.

Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.

BigD 07-04-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1173107)
Because the pump's max output is around 100psi, so if you ever get a blockage in the return line or in the pressure regulator, the pressure will spike to 100psi, and if the hose can't handle it it'll burst.

Plus personally, just for peace of mind, I wouldn't want to have a hose that is always handling a pressure that is at it's max rating.

I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.

chromius 07-04-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1173111)
I personally didn't know anything about the pressure rating of the CT hoses. I needed fuel hose and they had the right size, labelled fuel hose... I guess the blockage is a legitimate concern but as far as the max rating I'm sure it's not the burst pressure, but the designed for, guaranteed safe pressure. To tell you the truth though, those CT hoses are beefier than the stock ones on the S52.

Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.

ecuconnection 07-04-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1173091)
Don't use a water hose...water on a gasoline fire tends to just spread the fire around*thmbsdwn**shiner*

oh yes I forgot that gas will burn on top of water oops hehe *rockout*

BigD 07-07-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromius (Post 1173118)
Yeah, it's more just a "better safe than sorry" kinda thing for me. I'm sure the CT hose would last many thousands of km's without any issues, but all it takes is that one time, so I always prefer to use the 100psi hose, especially in the engine bay, since a simple hose blockage could lead to a burst onto a hot exhaust manifold, and a subsequent fire...

The OE hose is 120psi I believe, so I figure might as well replace with similar.

Perhaps CT has changed their hose, it was a couple of years back that I bought their fuel injection hose, and at that time it was 50psi, maybe it's higher now. It should be labeled right on the side of the hose.

JFYI my crappy tire fuel hoses say 12 bar.