maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Sub Box Help on E46 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106599)

Junior_dimez 06-08-2008 12:37 PM

Sub Box Help on E46

I have an 2003 330i BMW and plan on buying an Sub box but i wanted to konw if i should get a sealed ported box or a slot ported box which would give my car a better sound. Thanks in advance.

Randy 02-06-2009 01:11 PM

I depends on your sub. Check the owners manual specs regarding the recommended enclosure for your specific subwoofer. Typically ported boxes are louder and "boomier", whereas sealed boxes are quieter and "punchier".

skru_fase 02-07-2009 08:09 PM

i think generally, ported boxes are bigger too right?

vegabass 02-08-2009 11:21 PM

I tried a sealed box and a ported box in my 330I. I found that with the seats up the sealed box hit harder, but was not loud. Even with the seats down they were not doing what i wanted. I had to also max out my amp to drive the sub. The ported one was not to bad with the seats up, however if u drop the seats it sounded awesome. If had the seats up, what i would do sometimes with the ported box was drop the arm rest in the middle. That was the only way to get anything through those metal seats. lol. Using this setup also allowed me to turn down the amp and not drive it so hard.

It also depends on what kinda of music u like, i would say hip hop/rap go ported. Rock/ jazz go sealed. However if u are looking of SQ then i would say first find the driver u want and build the box to its specs.

I hoped this helped. I am sure some of the other guys could give u a more technical answer.*wave*

Randy 02-10-2009 03:33 AM

I agree with the rock/jazz = sealed.
I listen to both rock and jazz and i find that sealed boxes are far more accurate, though yes, they do require more juice to drive them at the same volume as a equivalent sub in a ported box.

ported boxes give you that boomy (but inaccurate) bass that you see the kids with at tim hortons. (no offense to the "kids"... i used to be one, lol).

tominizer 02-11-2009 10:08 AM

A ported box built to the specs of the sub will NOT be *boomy*. It's only *boomy* if the specs of the sub and the box don't match........... or the sub is a real piece of crap OR the sub is old and the suspension is gone.

If you want to get really loud, definitely go ported. But buy a sub that likes to go in a ported box...........

Blades 02-11-2009 11:54 AM

It really all depends on what you are trying to achieve. Do you want SPL or Quality Bass .. also depends on what type of music you mostly listen too. A smaller sub will give you better kick bass then a larger one.

ex. If I were listening to pop music 2 small 8" would sound better then 1 12" but I would use the 1 12" over the 2 small 8's for hiphop.

I've had sealed and ported boxes (good quality MDF wood .. not flea market boxes). The boxes were made to the specs of the speaker for best results. I can tell you one thing thou .. sealed will sound louder if the trunk is open and your trying to show off. Ported is louder if the trunk is closed and the seats are folded down with windows open. Those are the big differences .. you might notice that in competitions as well.