maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What should my next lens be??? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106412)

ZHP_Bimmer05 06-03-2008 03:25 PM

What should my next lens be???

Hey guys,

I need some opinions for my next lens for my canon rebel XTi. Mark on the pole what you think, and give me some intel on the lens if possible.

Thanks*rockout*

Adrenalin540 06-03-2008 03:45 PM

Get the fastest lense you can afford

No matter what focal length you decide on...

If you are looking for a 70-200 it is hard to find a faster lense that this one

If I had the $ this would be in my arsnel:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...0&modelid=7469

This focal length is really practical and the performance of the lens is incredible due to the IS...so you may gain an extra .5 fstop...WoW!

Probably not the cheapest lens but probably if not the best and most practical focal length...

My 2 cents

330ci05 06-03-2008 08:12 PM

i just got my 75-300mm III USM today, the one i was telling you about! :D

ZHP_Bimmer05 06-04-2008 01:11 AM

bro i just got Mosiak AirMiles, and got the gold, so $15/1pt, tell me again how you rack up so many points!, i wanna get that lens for free, so i can spend money of a diff lens

AceOfSpades 06-04-2008 07:32 AM

when do people use 70-XXX lenses beside photographing scenery?

Adrenalin540 06-04-2008 08:00 AM

well IMHO

135 is the std for portraits... so I would say it is a great lens for overall utility...the shorter length for everyday shots and the zoom for close up sports, plus it has an extra f stop withe the IS and you can do some real cool effects by zooming while shooting...so IMHO the 70-200 f2.8 may be the best lens overall...

rost12 06-04-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfSpades (Post 1161550)

People don't use 70-XXX for landscapes. They use em for portraits, sport, etc. I'm hoping to add that above linked Canon 70-200 lens to my bags this summer, even though I already have 135 prime. I love the 135, but for sports (auto racing, in my case) some flexibility will be great.

rost12 06-04-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHP_Bimmer05 (Post 1161259)
I need some opinions for my next lens for my canon rebel XTi. Mark on the pole what you think, and give me some intel on the lens if possible.

First off, it's "poll". I ain't touching your pole.

Second, what do you need a new lens for? What do you have already? What do you shoot?

One word about fish-eye lenses, they're fun... for a couple of days. After that the extremely distorted photos start to get boring. I wouldn't waste money on a true fish-eye, wide angle (16-35, etc) is where it's at.

kerisabe 06-04-2008 08:52 AM

I guess you know best about your shooting condition, what you shoot most and whats lacking in your lens line. Id say, get good at what you have now, and then get more gear.. So at least you know what you really need.. just my 2 cents.

Boots R 06-04-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfSpades (Post 1161550)

different depth perception shots.

ZHP_Bimmer05 06-04-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rost12 (Post 1161570)
First off, it's "poll". I ain't touching your pole.

Second, what do you need a new lens for? What do you have already? What do you shoot?

One word about fish-eye lenses, they're fun... for a couple of days. After that the extremely distorted photos start to get boring. I wouldn't waste money on a true fish-eye, wide angle (16-35, etc) is where it's at.

what do you mean why i need a new lens for? Im running a kit lens right now -_-

Boots R 06-04-2008 10:27 AM

There's a huge price difference between those lenses.

rost12 06-04-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHP_Bimmer05 (Post 1161596)
what do you mean why i need a new lens for? Im running a kit lens right now -_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerisabe
Id say, get good at what you have now, and then get more gear.. So at least you know what you really need..

Best advice right there. I spent 2 years running around with a plastic kit lens on my Canon EOS 300 (film camera... good ol' times) before I started feeling the limitations of my camera and lens.

Buying a expensive lens doesn't make one a better photographer. I'm living proof of it :)

Adrenalin540 06-04-2008 11:07 AM

Good point

The lens doesn't make the photographer...However, it can open opportunities for the 'right' pic. Or offer a bit of artistic impression you could not get from an inferior lens...the lens I 'linked' to was and is in my opinion vastly superior to the standard lens that you can pick up at best buy...that is a 'professional' grade lens that may cost as much as some cameras. That being said anyone would want that lens so the likelihood of you being able to 'sell' it in the future (if you choose) greatly increases with the quality of the lens...so there you have it...a lens that won't 'lose' value, offers great photos, and provides the ability of artistic impression...Jeeze how much do you want from a lens? But with caveat...the lens will never hit the shutter button for you! NEVER.

ZHP_Bimmer05 06-04-2008 03:47 PM

i just like the effect of the wide angle lens, i seen some very nice pics with those