maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Radar detectors (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10477)

mkgino 01-29-2003 02:09 AM

Radar detectors

Ok I know they are illegal, but was wondering how many police cruisers in toronto are equipped to detect radar detectors? Ive heard that only a few like 5 T.O cars can detect radar detectors in toronto. Also if the radar detector is turned off, can they detect it?

My cousin has one hard wired in his E30 M3 and he has never been caught with it, so...........

AlpWhitE46 01-29-2003 02:20 AM

Never heard of anyone being able to detect a radar detector, you sure thats true ?
:huh?:

Miguel 01-29-2003 02:20 AM

My buddy got booked for his. They confiscated it and gave him a $350 ticket if I remember correctly.

mkgino 01-29-2003 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miguel
My buddy got booked for his. They confiscated it and gave him a $350 ticket if I remember correctly.
Yeah but he had it in open view right? Im positive that if its turned off, then they cant detect it. I would hardwire one, so.....

SickFinga 01-29-2003 02:25 AM

Mkgino, on the way to Detroit when I got pulled over for speeding cop asked me if I had a radar detector because his equipment showed them that I have one. I said NO, he said ok, I will search the car, but after they smelled the interior they started to look for something else.

P.S. I didn't have the radar.

Miguel 01-29-2003 02:26 AM

ya, his was one that plugged into the cigarette adaptor, he stashed it when he saw the cops cherries and the cop just walked up to his car and said "wheres the detector?". Cop completely knew it was there. What do you mean by hardwire?

Betray 01-29-2003 02:27 AM

i think they just wanted to search the car.. theres was no detector.. if there was we wouldnt be cought speeding 150!

Lil'Smoothie 01-29-2003 02:31 AM

they are undetectable if switched off. GR8 Ride (i think) was sayin a few days ago toronto police have new detector, dtectors that will bust the best of radars, not even the guys at valentine have an annswer yet.

my dads buddy had one hidden behind his deck in his ride. the cop pulled him over cuz he detected it, askedd him where it was and made him rip it out

mkgino 01-29-2003 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miguel
ya, his was one that plugged into the cigarette adaptor, he stashed it when he saw the cops cherries and the cop just walked up to his car and said "wheres the detector?". Cop completely knew it was there. What do you mean by hardwire?
You kinda wire it to power, open the dashboard up, hide it somewhere under the dash, and then put your dash board back together. My cousin has it wired up so that when his radio is on, radar is on, when its off, detector turns off also.......

Dave 325i 01-29-2003 02:32 AM

A cop mistook the overhead Active Check Panel in my E30 for a radar detector once.

Hardwire - basically make it a permanent part of the car. Wired directly into the electrical system, no cigarette lighter plug or anything. Usually set up in a trick enclosure.

M3ti Compact 01-29-2003 03:22 AM

Where is a good place to hide it? Doesn't the detector need like...a clear view out the front? It just can't be hidden anywhere can it?

mkgino 01-29-2003 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by M3ti Compact
Where is a good place to hide it? Doesn't the detector need like...a clear view out the front? It just can't be hidden anywhere can it?
The V1 can with the Invisi Rear view mirror that displays the same thing that the display of the V1 has on it, through the mirror

if not you just hear the thing beep!

slemmer 01-29-2003 03:31 AM

A cop on one of those motorcycles saw mine as I was stopped at a red light. He motioned me to roll the window down, so I rolled it slightly. He then said all the way down. When I did that he said "I thought I saw a radar detector...pull over on the side of the road". I was two minutes away from parking my car and shutting down the passport. Damn!

IVAN 01-29-2003 03:40 AM

I know cople of my friends that have Ford F150 pick up truck and he ran away from cops on those lil streets so a cops lost him ... Btw i think that cop can find out hmmm I do not think they are that dumn but who knows...

M3ti Compact 01-29-2003 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mkgino
The V1 can with the Invisi Rear view mirror that displays the same thing that the display of the V1 has on it, through the mirror

if not you just hear the thing beep!

Really? So like...you can hide the V1 inside the dashboard or glovebox?