maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What used car would you buy w/$10-13K (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10441)

addbhp 01-28-2003 01:34 PM

What used car would you buy w/$10-13K

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking at getting a used car for my wife, that really will double as our take the whole family car. Really don't want to spend too much, say no more than $13,000.

Preference would be for auto, but either fine and 4 door. Right now I'm leaning towards a 96 or 97 Nissan Maxima, but interested in what else is out there.
Any ideas??

ROB89M3 01-28-2003 01:43 PM

Mark, I have a 95 Maxima for sale at my work. Car is clean with no accidents. I think it has 130,000 kms....(have to check)
We will certify and emission test as well as detail the car for you.
I think I could give it to you for around $9-10,000.

edit: or you could buy it as-is.

I have lots of Hondas available. How about a '97 Toyota Camry with 75,000 kms ? Great car for around $13,000 + tax.

djcontra 01-28-2003 02:00 PM

I find the best thing to do is goto a website like autotrader.com and do a search by price, and look for cars within the range you're looking at. You'll probably find a whole slew of nice cars within that price range that you never even knew cost that little.
That's how I found my BMW, i was originally looking at eclipse's and talon's when i saw an E36, and i just HAD to have one!

addbhp 01-28-2003 03:03 PM

Rob,

May get back to you on the Maxima, although they did some small upgrades in 97 to the 4th gen. that make that one a little bit better.

One Honda I might look at would be an Accord, but Camry's are just a little too bland.

DJContra,

I actually did that search a while ago, will need to do again, was more interested to hear if anyone had any hidden gems out there, or what their preference would be. A ton of Domestics come up in that range. And although I am not a huge fan of domestic's (primarily for their fit and finnish), it's hard to argue with their used car value(already depreciated a ton). Lots of Grand Prix, Intrepids, etc out there with enough room, priced right, and all the bells and whistles.

Bavarian-E30 01-28-2003 05:42 PM

yes, I would go with the maxima. they did change a little in 97. they redesigned the internal body structure, which made it safer (95-96 had so so crash ratings) otherwise from what i know all the other changes were cosmetic (Se's came with 16 inch wheels) they all had new steering wheel, lights, grill maybe u know this stuff. nissans depreciate more than toyotas or hondas and they still have good japanese quality. so i would go with the maxima. "the nissan maximas V6 engine (VQ series 95+) has won many awards and is claimed to be the best V6 ever made. i figure, your just braking that engine in at 100,000 (miles not Kilometers or w/e) good luck.

djcontra 01-28-2003 10:56 PM

what about a volkswagon passat, or audi a4?
those are pretty nice cars. Are they in that price range in USD?

Miguel 01-29-2003 12:55 AM

I know I may get flamed for this but if you are a student and/or DONT have money to burn, look into an Integra. They are cheap to maintain and the resale on them is almost too good to be true.
*flamesuit on:moon: *

dtthiaga 01-29-2003 01:07 AM

Go with the Maxima

An Accord or Maxima would be a good choice. You canít go wrong with either one. My preference would be the Maxima, even a 96. The V6 engine is just awesome! I believe they are a bit cheaper.

The 4Door Integra LS is a nice car too. My 4Door Integra (RS) is fun but a practical car. A little tight in the back for leg room.

Not to put anyone down, but I'd stay away from the Passat; especially when youíre buying it from someone else. They've had electrical issues. My mechanic was dead against me buying a Passat for highway driving... did not recommend it at all.

Bavarian-E30 01-29-2003 08:04 PM

Re: Go with the Maxima

Quote:

Originally posted by dtthiaga

Not to put anyone down, but I'd stay away from the Passat; especially when youíre buying it from someone else. They've had electrical issues. My mechanic was dead against me buying a Passat for highway driving... did not recommend it at all. [/b]

is that only the older passats? or are you talking about the new rounder ones?

Miguel 01-29-2003 08:09 PM

Re: Re: Go with the Maxima

Quote:

Originally posted by Bavarian-E30
is that only the older passats? or are you talking about the new rounder ones?
On the older ones... the ones with no grill... they are the #1 lemon car ever

addbhp 01-30-2003 10:07 AM

Thanks for all your comments, like I said I am leaning toward the Maxima. From everything I've read, this is a very solid car, and does offer the space I'm looking for. I regularly view maxima.org, as I know a couple of guys on that site, good to see the strong following there.

As for Passat's, I would also stay away, I would be leary of their electrical problem old or new. Another friend has a 2002 1.8 turbo, and he's left it at the shop three seperate occasions for a total of 7 weeks...ignition problems twice and now rear brakes.Yikes

Would consider an A4 but haven't investigated that avenue yet.
Thanks again

Miguel 01-30-2003 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by addbhp
Would consider an A4 but haven't investigated that avenue yet.
Thanks again

A4's have the same ignition coil problem in the 1.8T models from what I hear.

EMPOWERD 01-31-2003 09:52 AM

I personally would pick up a used '92 E36 325i bimmer for around $12k-$13k.

addbhp 01-31-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

I personally would pick up a used '92 E36 325i bimmer for around $12k-$13k.
Would really prefer to get something a little more recent, say 95 and up. Plus Four Door E36's aren't my favorite. With a 92, I'd likely end up having to replace all the wear and tear parts that I have just done with my 91, blower motor, wiper motor and linkage, bushings.

I actually did a search this morning based on price, and saw a couple of 95 525's, a 94 Cadillac STS, A couple of 97 Maxima's and a 99 Subaru Impreza RS that looked interesting. Must remember this is primarily for my wife, so different philosophy's than many of us.

Cheers

AndreNY 01-31-2003 01:21 PM

well maxima's are good, and quite quick but if i was you since you live in canada the A4 would be your best choise a 96-97 can be found for 10-12 K. or a passat instead