maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   X series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   X5 battery drain issues - what I've found out. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102939)

tominizer 03-23-2008 09:02 PM

X5 battery drain issues - what I've found out.

Our X5 woke us up early one morning with the alarm blazing......... and remote not working........... X5 not starting. Ended up the battery was dead. Wife said get a new battery. Being a genius (:huh?:) I went to the internet first and surfed the issue hoping to find other *stranded* X5-ers out there. And I did. There are some issues.

Anyways, the one that interested me the most was that our AC/Heater cabin fan was *huffing* at times. This is the final stage (heater) resistor announcing that it's pouched and wants to be replaced. What I didn't know is that this POS part also can cause your battery to go dead.

So, first off to Crappy Tires to have the battery tested. She was still good and usable. Then off to the Stealership for the FSR part and after unloading my wallet of $100 plus tax, I set off home to fix the beast. The parts guy was kind enough to let me know that this badly designed BMW part had drastically come down in price over the years and was apparently well over $200. Ok, so let me understand this right........... the original part is a bad design and basically a piece of shit that can leave you stranded in the middle of no where........... and BMW is doing me a favour in bringing down the price on the FSR and making me pay for their original design blunder ?!?!?!? Oh, and the part has apparently been RE-designed not once...... but twice. *drink* This is that hydro-lock motor BMW bullshit attitude all over again.......... customers paying for their BAD engineering design. I luv it............... here, let me bend over and BMW........ you give it to me with the rock salt......... again and again :moon:

Anyways, part goes in and so far so good. We'll see how the X5 gets along over the next few weeks. If anyone wants me to post more info or highlites on this install, just let me know.

On another note, early X5's also had a recall for the CD radio that would come on for no reason under cold temps. Another battery killer. I think it mainly affected 2001 x5's

Deep 3.2TL 03-23-2008 11:34 PM

I hear ya my friend - I had tons 'o' issues with my E46 due to poor design. Yet people seem to accept it!

From what I've seen, this is more of a 'newer' generation BMW problem and not so much from the E30 or even E36 days. Those cars seem to much more rock solid. Seems as they 'innovated' they did so with little regard to quality or longevity.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Deep

e36_all_out 03-31-2008 12:03 AM

Another issue on why you battery might have gone dead is the fact that your alarm was going off, the x5's also have issues with alarm sensors going bad and turning the alarm on and draining the battery. Just another FYI

Maxim 04-02-2008 08:58 PM

Yea, FSU on my 5 caused the same thing. Install is pretty easy. From the TIS it looks like the install is the same on the X5 as it is on the e39.

It looks like you fixed it ,but roughly:
Remove the black plastic panel under glove box (there's a screw and a pair of twist plugs that hold it on on the X), disconnect the light
Remove the carpet trim on the pass side of the center console (there's a screw towards the front and then it will slide out)
Lay contorted on your back, unclip the FSU harness and release the tab holding it in. It is kind of a bitch. It is also somewhat further in/up than pictures seem to indicate.
Reassemble.

http://www.540i6.com/finalstagereplacement.html

Big drain on the battery while the alarm is on will cause alarm to go off (blower, dome lights).

BmW1819 04-06-2008 11:23 PM

yea final stage on the x5 happens to almost all x5's and hood trigger and on some of the e39 the aux fan drains the battery

shandy2009 11-13-2009 08:30 PM

OMG - My 2001 X5 experienced sudden battery drain... recharged battery and alternator passed voltmeter check. Went looking online and found this forum! This is my problem - THANK YOU! Have verified that a/c fan is "huffing"... and have started process of removing the FSU... bolster on my X5 may be different than that pictured at http://www.540i6.com/finalstagereplacement.html and fear breaking any clips. Perhaps another forum will illustrate how this piece looks behind the carpet?

2005 X5owner 02-19-2014 01:05 PM

2005 x5 internal cluster??!

Our 2005 X5 kept dying this winter. We had to jump start it almost every day. The last time we jump started it, the gas gage and other main functions stopped working. We took into the dealer, and they told us: the car computer does not go to sleep when the car is shut off, and we need to replace the internal cluster. Want to charge us $1900 for the internal cluster. Does this make sense to anyone? Are we seriously getting ripped off? Probably going to take it to a local mechanic to avoid these costs if at all possible.

Thanks so much for any response!

Pierce330 02-25-2014 11:44 AM

I would recommend xoutpost.com...X5 specific content only...lot's of help offered as well

pvaldeben 03-31-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005 X5owner (Post 1639149)
Our 2005 X5 kept dying this winter. We had to jump start it almost every day. The last time we jump started it, the gas gage and other main functions stopped working. We took into the dealer, and they told us: the car computer does not go to sleep when the car is shut off, and we need to replace the internal cluster. Want to charge us $1900 for the internal cluster. Does this make sense to anyone? Are we seriously getting ripped off? Probably going to take it to a local mechanic to avoid these costs if at all possible.

Thanks so much for any response!

Hi I've been having same problem all winter on my 2006 X5. Have you done the repair and how much did it cost using non BMW mechanic?

BmW1819 04-04-2014 08:44 PM

I would have a local bmw shop reprogram it