maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Automotive Photography (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101858)

Soldo 02-28-2008 09:32 PM

Automotive Photography

Hey guys, i've recently picked up a Rebel Xt and i'm just finally startin to barely get the hang of things. After going to the autoshow, as good as the pictures seemed on my tiny display, i was very disapointed in how the photos turned out (most were just blury, so i'm sure its my shaky hands). Anyways, i know theres a TON of stuff to learn, but the main reason i wanted to get into the hobby was for nature stuff, and automotive shots.

Now i know theres a lot of members on here that are rockin the SLR's, and your pictures are awesome. I've found more than enough tips/tricks when it comes to outdoor photography, but it's almost impossible to find anything related to Automotive stuff. Since i know you guys take some pretty amazing pictures, i was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting in this thread (maybe even making it a sticky) with some advice for an amature. Anything would help, and i know my camera is entry level, and i only have the KIT lens (18-55mm), but i wanna see what i can do with it and what its capable of.

Let's try to keep this thread alive
*shiner*

Boots R 02-28-2008 09:38 PM

I've got the XT also. Awesome camera. You'll love it.

My first suggestion... invest in a tripod. Even a little 40 dollar tripod works in lower light, like the autoshow.

Soldo 02-28-2008 10:03 PM

I AM a tripod.... wooord!

I already have one, and use it for nature shots, but i didn't feel like luggin it around with me during the autoshow. The camera was heavy enough, i'm not exactly a macho man!

Also, what are good begining lenses to get ($$$ wise). I doubt i'd need zoom lenses for automotive photography.

330DTM 03-01-2008 06:20 PM

What settings were you shooting at?

If I'm shooting indoors and I know that a tripod would be of inconvenience especially at crowded locations, I would opt for a faster lens. What I mean by that is one that has a lower F-stop, but they usually come at a cost. Faster lenses are ideal for low light conditions when you want to go free-hand.

What's your budget?

I personally love having a collection of fast lenses. I know they cost a bit more, but I'm willing to fork out the money. I couldn't afford the Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 DX Pro lens, so I bought a third party Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens. It's just as sharp if not almost or better in some areas and slightly soft on some parts of the edges. Alternatively you can look into getting fixed focal length lenses with a nice quick F-stop.

If you're shooting more car photography, you probably want a wider lens. Something that's pretty affordable is the Sigma 10-20mm F4.

Manimillion 03-01-2008 08:56 PM

So, what do you want to know? There is seriously so much to tell... I think your best bet is to start taking some pictures, and post them up for constructive critisizm, that'll be your best bet. You will learn from your mistakes, which is the best way to learn a lot of things.

qimis 03-01-2008 11:12 PM

^^^ I second that, automotive photography is a very broad field. It's a type of photography itself (ie. product, portrait, events, etc.). Especially nowadays we live in a digital world where every single person that shoots with digital SLR can claim themselves a professional photographer, take a couple snapshots, "edit" in photoshop, darken everything, make it like top gear style or HDR the shit out of it and you get compliments from everyone... good photograph is more than that. Constructive criticism is a very good way to start, like Mani said. :)

Another thing with equipment, having a tripod would definitely helps, it doesn't have to cost an arm and leg for one, but get a decent one. A lot of people and serious photographers paid so much $ for tripod because it's something that they keep for a while (10+ years). Lens, don't bother getting expensive lens yet, kit lens is a good start and learn from there. Fast lens is nice to have, but most of the times the depth of field is too shallow for automotive photography when the aperture is wide open.

Soldo 03-02-2008 02:11 AM

I knew you guys would eventually chime in!

I'll try to post some of the pics when i'm at my home computer, i wasn't really going for anything special, it was pretty much my first time getting a GOOD use out of the camera. Since it was a crowded location most of the pics were taken fairly quickly, and i was getting used to shooting with different ISO's.

As for the tripod, come summer time i expect to use it quite freuquently, i have a decent one that my parents used back in the good ol days of 35mm.

As for lenses, i was looking at the aftermarket ones like Tamron, but i read that most people have more negative things to say about them. But i do like their prices, since i'm not trying to make a profession (yet) out of this, i don't really want/have the cash to fork over for some of those amazing lenses.

I know Automotive Photos are in their own category, and i wanna learn to take really nice pictures, i'm not big into photo editing and all that other stuff.

In terms of the other features on the camera... what are some good shots to practice to take advantage of those things, like the WB and the Aperature?

Furious 03-07-2008 05:54 PM

wait whats going on? i just got a XT too and i need some guidance.

Mystikal 03-07-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qimis (Post 1117441)
Especially nowadays we live in a digital world where every single person that shoots with digital SLR can claim themselves a professional photographer, take a couple snapshots, "edit" in photoshop, darken everything, make it like top gear style or HDR the shit out of it and you get compliments from everyone...

Dammit my plans are unveiled.

...I'm still gonna do it.

Jay

Soldo 03-07-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious (Post 1120442)
wait whats going on? i just got a XT too and i need some guidance.

Exactly, i take it we're in the same boat when it comes to skill!

Still haven't taken the time to upload my pics of my camera. Hoping to do that this weekend.

BMW BMXer 03-11-2008 10:49 AM

Kev, my gf has the same camera. She knows a bit, she has 2 aftermarket lenses, one telephoto and one wide angle I am sure she would answer some questions if you ask on facebook or something.

Manimillion 03-11-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldo (Post 1120465)
Exactly, i take it we're in the same boat when it comes to skill!

Still haven't taken the time to upload my pics of my camera. Hoping to do that this weekend.

Upload your pictures.

One advice could be, "Study Pictures". Pick up a reputable car magazine, or go online on photographers portfolios, look at the composition etc...

kerisabe 03-11-2008 05:16 PM

advice from a noob (me): start taking pics :D, upload it so we all can tell you what's good and what's need to be improved. Other than that, watch your composition, scout shoot locations, plan your shoot, composition and last but not least, use a good tripod.

Soldo 03-11-2008 08:35 PM

Here they come....

Alright, heres a few pics.

The one of my dog was one of the first pics i took. Camera was set to auto..
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6489/sadieei1.jpg

The next few pics are the ones i took at the car show. Like i said, i wasn't really trying to make them awesome pictures, cause its a carshow, and theres just too much going on everywhere, but these are some of the best pictures that turned out.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2924/img0150wh7.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6476/img0125ff5.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6465/img0212pb9.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4825/img0245gh0.jpg

I figure that should hold you critics for a little while. Also, i noticed that some of the pictures i took look grainy (or noisy is it?). Almost like it was taken with my camera phone, even though the picture is in focus. Is that cause i had the ISO set too high?

Dave, since spring is around the corner, are there any events coming up? I'd love to give a go takin some pics with Linds at the next show i make it out too!

mirek 03-11-2008 08:59 PM

Nice pics! I wish the S wasn't cut off by the door though,