maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing & Care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Zaino AIO/CS or Klasse AIO/SG (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101752)

Spawn44 02-26-2008 12:50 PM

Zaino AIO/CS or Klasse AIO/SG

I know this has come up before but I just want an opinion between the two and please no comments on other products that might be better because after doing tons of research on different car detailing forums these two products(well maybe not the zaino aio/cs because they are fairly new)seem to always come up on top in most areas overall.
I use to do my own detailing when i had a better car then for last few years have been driving a junker. I know own a 2002 325i(titanium silver) that is in immaculate shape.(previous owner said he used eagleone nano wax 3-4 times a year)
Anyway back to the question, as a pretty much newbie to the detailing world which one would be better for me and my silver car. Taking into consideration
ease of application, overall durability and end result. I would like one of these that would require maybe 2 applications a year(spring and fall)with regular wash and QD inbetween.
Your inputs would be appreciated as spring is coming and i would like to purchase one of these kits soon.

Thanks in advance

HoldenC 02-26-2008 03:18 PM

Short answer: Klasse AIO/SG > Zaino AIO/CS

Long answer: Zaino got its start back in the 1990's by a man named Sal. He made it big by essentially using car enthusiasts as the heart of his marketing campaign. He did so by making many of them "testers," earning Zaino fierce loyalty from its adopters. This loyalty has little to do any form of product superiority.

Klasse, on the other hand, has been around for several decades - reformulated once or twice to accommodate new technologies and environmental protections. It is the elite of car care products and has even won several inventor awards.

I may be biased because I am a Klasse user but the last I used KAIO, this was the result:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95346

HoldenC 02-26-2008 03:27 PM

As per application, Klasse AIO applies very easily and removal is the same. Klasse SG, on the other hand, must be applied in very small amounts or it will be difficult to remove. Some people have shown up to meets with Klasse SG still on their car.

Durability is about 6-12 months. If applied correctly, one coat of Klasse AIO topped with Klasse SG should endure for 9 months at least.

Spawn44 02-26-2008 04:54 PM

Thanks Holden, I appreciate your input, I have read your blogs and many of your replies here and can see your a knowledgable person when it comes to car detailing.
I was also leaning toward the klasse but it was some comments on the pain removing the SG that had me second guessing.But it sound like those problems are due to not reading the instructions(less is more, and waiting proper time)
Would you recommend a QD to use inbetween washes and which wash sould i use that wont remove the klasse. Also if i do the klasse duo in the spring do i do the duo in the fall before winter or just add SG to it. Thanks

HoldenC 02-26-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn44 (Post 1115182)
Thanks Holden, I appreciate your input, I have read your blogs and many of your replies here and can see your a knowledgable person when it comes to car detailing.
I was also leaning toward the klasse but it was some comments on the pain removing the SG that had me second guessing.But it sound like those problems are due to not reading the instructions(less is more, and waiting proper time)
Would you recommend a QD to use inbetween washes and which wash sould i use that wont remove the klasse. Also if i do the klasse duo in the spring do i do the duo in the fall before winter or just add SG to it. Thanks

You're welcome. I really enjoy helping people with their detailing needs. :)

Klasse SG is only difficult to apply, as I stated, when applied too liberally. Less is more when it comes to detailing. No need to wait any time, though. There is no real "cure" time for Klasse.

I don't really recommend using a QD without washing. Ideally, you will use a QD to perform upkeep on the coat of SG.

A great formula for a QD is to mix distilled/filtered water with SG at a ratio of six parts water, one part Klasse SG (6:1). Alternately, you may use Meguiars UQD, Poorboy's Spray & Wipe, or Wolfgang Instant Detail. Any of these will be perfectly fine.

It is recommended if you perform a detail only twice a year to use both Klasse AIO & SG at each time. I would also recommend that you use a claybar each time. The clay will remove some wax and anywhere from 80-100% of embedded contaminates. AIO will remove the remainder of the wax making the finish LSP ready.

Spawn44 02-26-2008 05:31 PM

Once again thanks for your help, just one other question i needed answered, what washing agent should i use that will help the klasse and not remove it, are any of the walmart/canadian tire stuff ok

HoldenC 02-26-2008 05:35 PM

Oh, sorry. The most popular over the counter wash is Meguiars Gold Class. It's very good for an OTC product. Honestly, though, it's hard to go wrong. I personally use the NAPA brand wash because I like the way it suds up.

HoldenC 02-27-2008 04:43 PM

Are they any other Klasse users on the board? If not, you don't know what you're missing.

Marky_mark 02-27-2008 10:46 PM

I have used both Zaino and Klasse both are great products
Zaino is a good product but its harder to use and takes longer I like the klasse much better just because from my own experience its a much easier product to use.

HoldenC 02-28-2008 04:42 PM

Another drawback for Zaino is that it requires a significant chunk of time layering and only delivers results that are equal to or lesser than Klasse.

If you're in search of the perfect shine, you are far better off learning to polish with a rotary buffer or a PC. In fact, 90% of shine comes from good prep work. There is a man on Autopia with a line in his sig that says "no prep, no pride" and it is so true. A full exterior job will take 8-10 hours, sometimes more for paint correction in the region of 95-100% - especially with a layered LSP.

David 02-29-2008 01:16 PM

If I had to choose between Z and K, I would take Zaino. In my use, I have found it to last longer than Klasse (and for the record, I was a Klasse user for 5 years before switching to Zaino 3 years ago). Klasse was very close to Zaino 4 or 5 years ago, but things have changed since then. The biggest change has been with the VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) regulations introduced a couple of years ago. They changed the way detailing supplies were formulated. Manufacturers were forced to use more environmentally friendly ingredients to make their products, while still upholding the same durability and quality. Zaino was able to do this rather well. Their products have evolved and improved continually despite any regulations forced on them. Klasse OTOH was hurt by the VOC regulations. The ingredient changes they made to their products hurt the durability and performance. The current AIO has a touch less cleaning power and far less acrylic protection then the pre VOC version. Same can be said for SG as durability has suffered as well. Klasse also never introduces formula changes for the sake of improvement. Prior to the VOC changes, the formula for Klasse SG and AIO had not changed for a period of 15 years, as per Bob Faragasso at Klasse. And contrary to what Holden has said, you do NOT need to layer Zaino for optimal results. One layer of ZAIO and one layer of Z2 will be more durable than one layer of KAIO and KSG. I would not use Zaino CS as I feel Z2 is the way to go. Using Zaino like this makes it simple. No guesswork about which Z to use.

In terms of how Zaino got popular, yes it's true it was started by a gentleman named Sal Zaino. Sal does ask some his users to beta test products, like all manufacturers do. He is not the only one that does this. Also, he doesn't do this to create shills of his users, he actually does it to beta test! Who better to test Zaino than experienced users? What a concept! The reason Zaino is so popular is not because people lie about it's performance. It's popular because it is one of the few products that actually lives up to the claims it makes. Zaino is the real deal. It works as advertised.

HoldenC 02-29-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1116796)
If I had to choose between Z and K, I would take Zaino. In my use, I have found it to last longer than Klasse (and for the record, I was a Klasse user for 5 years before switching to Zaino 3 years ago). Klasse was very close to Zaino 4 or 5 years ago, but things have changed since then. The biggest change has been with the VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) regulations introduced a couple of years ago. They changed the way detailing supplies were formulated. Manufacturers were forced to use more environmentally friendly ingredients to make their products, while still upholding the same durability and quality. Zaino was able to do this rather well. Their products have evolved and improved continually despite any regulations forced on them. Klasse OTOH was hurt by the VOC regulations. The ingredient changes they made to their products hurt the durability and performance. The current AIO has a touch less cleaning power and far less acrylic protection then the pre VOC version. Same can be said for SG as durability has suffered as well. Klasse also never introduces formula changes for the sake of improvement. Prior to the VOC changes, the formula for Klasse SG and AIO had not changed for a period of 15 years, as per Bob Faragasso at Klasse. And contrary to what Holden has said, you do NOT need to layer Zaino for optimal results. One layer of ZAIO and one layer of Z2 will be more durable than one layer of KAIO and KSG. I would not use Zaino CS as I feel Z2 is the way to go. Using Zaino like this makes it simple. No guesswork about which Z to use.

In terms of how Zaino got popular, yes it's true it was started by a gentleman named Sal Zaino. Sal does ask some his users to beta test products, like all manufacturers do. He is not the only one that does this. Also, he doesn't do this to create shills of his users, he actually does it to beta test! Who better to test Zaino than experienced users? What a concept! The reason Zaino is so popular is not because people lie about it's performance. It's popular because it is one of the few products that actually lives up to the claims it makes. Zaino is the real deal. It works as advertised.

It's fantastic to have another detailer involved in the discussion. Sometimes I feel like I'm preaching to an empty audience.

Have there been any independent tests by well-known detailers on autopia or otherwise to compare the two? I think that would be a great read - albeit boring for most readers considering their durability.

David 02-29-2008 03:15 PM

There were numerous debates about pre VOC Klasse vs post VOC Klasse when the switch was first made. In terms of Z vs K, I'm sure there are a weeks worth of posts covering that topic alone on the many forums.