maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Replaced my thermostat: concerns (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101560)

Dr. Flyview 02-22-2008 04:50 AM

Replaced my thermostat: concerns

All went ok but as usual you run into problems when you don't have the right tools. Took me WAYYYY too long... like 9 hours probably actually working on the car.

I managed to bend my driver's side rocker a tiny bit jacking it up. I had to jack it a bit to the side so I could put jackstands under the actual reinforced area. Later I realized I should've jacked forward of the reinforced area rather than toward the back where I bent it... :mad:

Took me a while to undo the block coolant plug and I forgot to turn the heater on while it was draining... Then I never saw an "aluminum sealing ring" for the block plug bolt... *mumble* as it says on pelican parts. This is my main concern right now.

In all it drained only 6-7L so some was still left in there for sure.

Replacing the thermostat itself was pretty easy although putting the bolts back in was trick b/c the big one was hard to tighten and I had to undo everything else and try again. The engine surface looked nice and clean, no corrosion, so I didn't use any black silicone, just new gaskets.

I think I bled it ok, there is heat in the car idling or driving, nice and strong, doesn't go cold and car doesn't overheat.

Anything I should look out for?? I'll keep an eye on the coolant level and leaks for now.

P.S. This was done to put in the lower temp (80c) thermostat for the fan delete mod.

ScotcH 02-22-2008 11:17 AM

Why the hell would you drain the block to change the thermostat? What a waste of time. The sealing ring might cause leaks since it's a crush ring, and it will not reseal right. Keep an eye on that spot. I would replace it when you get a chance.

Also, in the future, use the proper spot for jacking. You can put the jack stands on the frame rail behind the LCAB lollypops.

BmW1819 02-22-2008 11:30 AM

yea they all have seal rings u better get one before i run that car hard cause it gonna leak without it. if u haven't change you coolant since u got the car than yea it's a good thing u drained it if u have a alum block that it's even better as the coolant ages it becomes more acidic and that's why thing start leaking it breck down the gaskets

e30_kid89 02-22-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotcH (Post 1113327)
Why the hell would you drain the block to change the thermostat? What a waste of time. The sealing ring might cause leaks since it's a crush ring, and it will not reseal right. Keep an eye on that spot. I would replace it when you get a chance.

Also, in the future, use the proper spot for jacking. You can put the jack stands on the frame rail behind the LCAB lollypops.

Maybe he was doing a coolant change and t-stat replacement. as for the crush ring, I've done it about 3 times with out changing them and they haven't leaked on me. This was on a E30, E36 and E28. werid.

INFAMOU$ 02-22-2008 05:20 PM

I told him not to drain the coolant.. he didn't listen to me :P

Mickey Knox 02-22-2008 07:16 PM

6-7 liters is normal

to get more coolant out you would need to remove the water pump and the radiotor hoses and the reservoir. i had about the same amount when i drained it last year the same way you did

rlim 02-22-2008 07:59 PM

It's good to flush and replace your coolant every couple of years. I replaced mine as well when I replaced my thermostat. Cheap insurance for the car's cooling system.

kenmar 02-23-2008 10:48 AM

You didn't mention replacing the thermo housing with a metal one ... something I would have done. Plastic sucks on cars. Never had a plastic breakage on my E36 cooling system (probably because I've replalced everything!), but I've had transmission failures (something I have NOT anticipated!). On my GTI, I could not shift between 2 gears because my cable bracket was plastic and it broke. At least I could drive it in for repairs. One month ago, my E36 clutch master cylinder broke because the plastic shaft in the clutch return spring snapped, causing the clutch pedal to become misaligned and snapping the MC shaft. A tow was needed :(. $$$ clutch repairs for a $5 part ...

Dr. Flyview 02-23-2008 03:14 PM

Checked the level today...it was down about 1/2 litre :confused:

Hope it's normal...I hope it's not leaking from the block :puke: I'll get it checked when I get an oil change done soon.

Mickey Knox 02-24-2008 01:58 PM

normal

you can never bleed the system completely, you do need to bleed it to the point where your heater works normal at all engine speeds, then drive for a while and top of when cold. i would say it should be stable after 500 miles at the latest, otherwise you are prolly leaking.