maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Price Of Gas (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101504)

DANE 02-20-2008 10:37 PM

Price Of Gas

WE might as well just buy a gas station and call it even .

lookin a 4 cylinder bmw whats up 4 grabs

DANE 02-20-2008 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 73881Also Willing To Trade A 1998 Suzuki Srad 750 FOR ANY DECENT 4 cylinder

europrince 02-20-2008 11:09 PM

if you can't afford the price of gas, you can't afford a bimmer.

the us is going into recession and the world economy will slow down. $100+ oil is not sustainable SHORT TERM

R.S.C 02-20-2008 11:52 PM

hmmm, a Maxbimmer Gas Station.... I like the sound of that. *rockout*

Shock(/\)ave 02-21-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by europrince (Post 1112806)

Exactly. ;)

GTA_G20 02-21-2008 08:42 AM

You can take my 318i and put your beige bumpers on it ;)

T.Dot_E30 02-21-2008 09:05 AM

There would be no point of owning a gas station, you'd still have to pay alot for the gas.

Boss17 02-22-2008 01:05 AM

It's still not gonna stop me from filling up 94 octane. The difference in price for a fill up is only by a few dollars, very minimal.

Eurostyle 02-22-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by europrince (Post 1112806)

Since i started driving a V8, i put from $20 to $80 of gas every day...I think you can afford a bimmer for that much!

europrince 02-22-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss17 (Post 1113274)
It's still not gonna stop me from filling up 94 octane. The difference in price for a fill up is only by a few dollars, very minimal.

You like burning money, literally. Its all good :)

Boss17 02-22-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by europrince (Post 1113347)
You like burning money, literally. Its all good :)

Since when is putting something of better quality in your car, burning money? The difference in price between 91 and 94 is so minimal, why not get something better?

europrince 02-22-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss17 (Post 1113352)
Since when is putting something of better quality in your car, burning money? The difference in price between 91 and 94 is so minimal, why not get something better?

BMW designed the car to take a certain octane. Any greater octane won't make much of an operating difference. Its like putting extreme performance tires on a stock Civic. It won't make the Civic any better or faster.

You don't have to take my word for it. Listen to Car and Driver magazine:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...remium_feature

Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in price. Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump. If the car is sufficiently new and sophisticated, it may not suffer any ill effects, but all such skinflints should be ready to switch back to premium at the first sign of knock or other drivability woes. And finally, if a car calibrated for regular fuel begins to knock on anything less than premium or midgrade, owners should invest in a tuneup, emissions-control-system repair, or detergent additives to solve, rather than bandage, the root problem. Class dismissed.

Boss17 02-22-2008 01:27 PM

Doesn't your car burn more efficiently with a higher octane? I read the article and I think most people who use a higher octane in their cars, including myself, don't use it specifically for power gains but rather for the positive effect it has on your engine. The article mentions how higher octane helps maintain and advance timing among other things.

Speed and horsepower gains are not always of the essence. It's similar to using better engine oil brands, you get the better kind because it's proven to be more beneficial to your engine and will increase it's longevity.

europrince 02-22-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss17 (Post 1113406)
Doesn't your car burn more efficiently with a higher octane? I read the article and I think most people who use a higher octane in their cars, including myself, don't use it specifically for power gains but rather for the positive effect it has on your engine. The article mentions how higher octane helps maintain and advance timing among other things.

Speed and horsepower gains are not always of the essence. It's similar to using better engine oil brands, you get the better kind because it's proven to be more beneficial to your engine and will increase it's longevity.

Although your argument makes good theory, but I'd like to see some report to back it up. It has been said that higher octane gasolines usually have more additives than lower grade. I have two questions then. One, is there a difference in additive volume between the 89 or 91 octane we're supposed to use, depending on the car, and higher grade gasoline? Two, if so, is there any incremental benefit to the engine?

Personally, I'll always be of the believe that BMW will always know what's best for the engines they build. If they tell me to use 89 octane, that's what I'll use.

someguy 02-22-2008 04:12 PM

the recommended octane is the most efficient...thats why they recommend it. Older cars that haven't been well taken care of and might have carbon build up on the cylinder walls could benefit by having a higher octane, thus delaying pinging, but a car thats been taken care of and maintained (like most of the people on this board) will not benefit very much by increasing octane.